• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request: LOW and MEDIUM quality in Desktop Air

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any plans to bring back the LOW and MEDIUM quality settings to Air for Desktop?
These features are essential for playing vector-heavy games on older hardware or in high resolution, and without them I'm better off using the regular Flashplayer with some other .exe wrapper.
I quite like Air otherwise, but without these settings, it's largely useless for some of my games.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 2nd this. Please this feature would drastically increase performance of my game which is rendering nearly everything in vector. Medium quality actually looks really sharp. Low quality is helpful for pixel art games.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I third this request. Is there any good reason to NOT have this flexibility in AIR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying that using "this.stage.quality = StageQuality.LOW;" does not do anything at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in the Desktop version of Air, LOW and MEDIUM settings do nothing. This is covered in Adobe's documentation, so it's a feature and not a bug.

"In the desktop profile of Adobe AIR, quality can be set to StageQuality.BEST or StageQuality.HIGH (and the default value is StageQuality.HIGH). Attempting to set it to another value has no effect."

StageQuality - Adobe ActionScript® 3 (AS3 ) API Reference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also love to see quality settings in Air, dont really understand why they arent already in there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe make this happen. If I could only set my game to Medium, the performance would increase drastically! I know this because I've tested with Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2016 Feb 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody know if there might be a way to force a medium quality settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that many of the people commenting in this thread have released well-received Flash/Air games on Steam. I've made Epic Battle Fantasy 4 and Bullet Heaven 2, and would like to use Flash for my next game too.

But before I commit to using it for my next project I would like to know whether Adobe are planning to support the features I need, and the quality settings are the most important thing for me right now.

If the answer is "no", I'd like to know so I can start seriously considering alternative game engines.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too want to keep using Flash/Animate for games development. Developing for Steam using AIR Desktop ticks nearly all the boxes. Please give us this feature to define our Stage Quality - Please let us know if we will eventually see this feature or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow great to see fellow Air developers for Steam. Risking that this is offtopic, but as our game is already greenlit on Steam, too, I need to ask: Are you guys releasing Windows only or Mac as well? Did you find a way to add Linux support? There seemed to be Linux support for older Air versions in Steam from the Steamworks Air library, but all the information on how it can be done seems to be missing and the library maintainer does not reply to our inquiries.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sticking to Windows because I don't have any experience with Mac or Linux and don't want to risk doing a bad job of those versions. But I think Mac isn't too difficult to do - Air and the FRESteamworks ANE should work on Mac without much issues.
I know Linux is very difficult to do though, I think the Defender's Quest devs managed it but it was a lot of trouble with complex workarounds and I don't think they ever want to do that again. Linux is still a tiny minority of the Steam user base though, so I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines