Hidden string allocation bug on iOS?

Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please, pretty please, with sugar on top fix this bug:

Tracker

It is more than 2 years old and is a serious issue for iOS platform.

What is the status of that bug?

I have tested it with AIR 29.0.0.103 Beta and it is still present.

Thanks,

Caslav

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still present in 29.0.0.108 Beta.

Is there any chance that this is fixed before final 29 release?

It has huge impact on performance for iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's unlikely since it's very easy to not run into that bug and it's also only requested by a very few people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you get such information? Are you working for Adobe?

How do you know it is requested by very few people?

You say it is easy to not run into that bug? How it is so easy? Are you promoting bug driven development?

Is that the way how you develop applications, by avoiding bugs? Are you professional bug avoider?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just impossible for you to be nice I guess ....

1. There is a bug tracking on this and I'm able to count to number of people (yeah I can count ...) that requested that fix and supported it.

2. Yes that bug happens in a VERY SPECIFIC CASE and since I'm very much a professional developer I AVOID that bug until it's fixed. "Professionals" that don't avoid bugs until they are fixed don't publish apps and don't have a job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really nice. It is your low intelligence that thinks I am being rude.

From now on I will stop responding from anything you post since your IQ is so low that  any communication is pretty much impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Straight to insults? We'll see what admins here have to say about that. In the meantime FYI my IQ (which has been measured many times) is in the top 1% of the population.

I do see a pattern here, you post a question only for the pleasure of slamming and insulting whoever dares to answer. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my first post, no insults, no sarcasm, nothing, just a simple and correct answer to your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening if you put vector into anything and try to get. If you put Vector inside Vector or if you put Vector inside Array or if you cast variable to Vector like data as Vector.

Can you please please please fix this because it is very ugly bug that is affecting iOS performance a lot.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still not fixed in AIR 30.00.85 Beta.

This bug is limiting use of Vectors very much on iOS and it is affecting Starling users a lot.

Can you please fix this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

Can you please fix this. This is killing performance on iOS.

One thing to add here is that when ever you instantiate Vector for non primitive type and assign it to a class variable allocates 6 Strings for every Vector instance on iOS only. That is just insane.

The string is not allocated if you for example add Vector to a Vector.

This will allocate 6 strings for every Vector:

public
var mVecs:Vector.<AnimatedParticleData>;

for
(var i:int = 0; i < 3000; i++) {
     mVecs = new Vector.<AnimatedParticleData>;
}

And this will not allocate any strings:

public var mVecs:Vector.<AnimatedParticleData>;
public var mAVec:Vector.<Vector.<AnimatedParticleData>>;

for
(var i:int = 0; i < 3000; i++) {
     mAVec[mAVec.length] = new Vector.<AnimatedParticleData>;
}

But popping Vector from Vector will also allocate 6 Strings for each pop:

for(i = 0, len = mAVec.length; i < len; i++) {
     mVecs = mAVec.pop();
}

This is super ugly bug. Is it possible that Adobe does not care that much to fix this memory hog ugly bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran​ is there a way to find out if there is any progress on this tracker issue?

I see that Daniel Sperl gave a suggested workaround of using Arrays instead of Vectors. I know that Vectors ought to be faster, but at least Arrays would use less memory.

Daniel wrote Starling, I would have thought he would have more direct contact with Adobe, and could perhaps ask one of his contacts if there is any progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with replacing Vector to Array is that I can not do it for complex libraries that are already written like Box2D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked the product team to have a look. Thanks for calling this out, Colin.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for looking into this.

Please keep us informed about the issue if  it is going to be resolved or, or if is in progress.

Thanks,

Caslav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do remind me if you don't hear from me by Friday.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team informed me that this is an AIR-related bug. The bug has been closed, and it is unlikely that the bug will be fixed because the fix wouldn't address the issue sufficiently. You could also try checking on the AIR forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran,

Thanks for your response. Can you just explain in little more detail what exactly means

"fix wouldn't address the issue sufficiently"

Does that mean that there is some fix but that fix does not solve the problem entirely?

Does that mean that this bug is impossible to fix and why would that be?

Is it possible to fix at least the part where Strings are allocated when you assign vector to a variable. That would help a lot.

And what other forum can I use. Is this not an AIR forum? It literally says AIR Development as the forum name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not that the bug is impossible to fix, but the fix wouldn't address the concern sufficiently and would probably lead to more complications if addressed. That is my understanding at least.

Apologize for the confusion about the forum. Because I get called out on the Animate forum mostly, I assumed that this was an Adobe Animate forum.

I will see if I can get someone from the AIR team to address the last bit of your post.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines