• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i localize the app name in an air ios app?

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to compile an adobe air app for iOS with Danish app name? I can get localization to work with eg English, French and German, but not with Danish...

I put

<name> <text xml:lang="en"> English </ text> <text xml:lang="da"> and Danish </ text> </name> 

in the app.xml before i compile with the adt, but after compile i can see that only the English name is created in the InfoPlist.strings of the ipa.

Any ideas on how to achieve a localized app name?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Helo fideld, officially Adobe Air don't support Danish language. But I may help you.

1. Download this file https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytx44mxzdgmlfq2/adt.jar

2. Go to Air SDK\lib\ folder and backup your original adt.jar

3. Copy my one from step 1

You may understand that patched adt.jar was produced by me and not by Adobe.

I just done this for you as a part of community friendly support. It's allow to add "da" language.

1. Open your *-app.xml

2. Add lang="da"

3. Go to supportedLanguages in XML and add "d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helo fideld, officially Adobe Air don't support Danish language. But I may help you.

1. Download this file https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytx44mxzdgmlfq2/adt.jar

2. Go to Air SDK\lib\ folder and backup your original adt.jar

3. Copy my one from step 1

You may understand that patched adt.jar was produced by me and not by Adobe.

I just done this for you as a part of community friendly support. It's allow to add "da" language.

1. Open your *-app.xml

2. Add lang="da"

3. Go to supportedLanguages in XML and add "da" also there so it's will be like "en fr de da".

Patched ADT was made from original latest 4.0.0.1619 and you must use http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html 4.0.0.1619 before apply this patch

This works well, just tested!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anton

Thanks a bunch - it really works. I am very grateful and a little amazed that you would help a complete stranger like this. I'll be sure to pass it forward.

Best regards

Fidel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain how to create a custom ADT.jar like this? I need one that supports Hebrew, for AIR 13.0.

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explaining much longer than creating this myself. Do you need it for 13.0 Release or latest from 14 from labs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13, or if 14 will continue working when the final release comes out, I'd prefer that. Thank you so much! You're awesome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14.0.0.103 with Danish and Hebrew support. Try and let me know if it works for you.

Copy it to 14.0.0.103 (labs.adobe.com) AIRSDK\lib\ folder

http://gamespoweredby.com/adt.html here is file + readme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works great, i used this for one of my danish / english / spanish APPs.

Thank you very much Anton!

sadly the version of AIR i used (3.2 or something) has SSL issues that Google Play is now complaining about - but it is fixed in version  14.0.0.1619 is there anyway you would do another custom ADT.jar   - or maybe time to write a turtorial

best regards Søren Klok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I never had deal with Android ADT. Only for iOS. I can update adt only for iOS It's ok for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!   I just assumed that it was the same as android - but that could have been mistake, i have done most of my work on iOS, Androids is kinda justa bonus thing!

but i would very much like a version for iOS as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post how you do it for iOS? Maybe then I can figure out how to do it on Android.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just edition the xml like this and setting it to read-only ( i use flash professional )

<!-- To localize the description, use the following format for the description element.<description><text xml:lang="en">English App description goes here</text><text xml:lang="fr">French App description goes here</text><text xml:lang="ja">Japanese App description goes here</text></description>-->

<name>

<text xml:lang="da">Lille Gub</text>

<text xml:lang="en">Little Gub</text>

<text xml:lang="es">El Pequeño Gub</text>

</name>

<!-- To localize the name, use the following format for the name element.<name><text xml:lang="en">English App name goes here</text><text xml:lang="fr">French App name goes here</text><text xml:lang="ja">Japanese App name goes here</text></name>-->

</android>

<supportedLanguages>en es da</supportedLanguages>

<versionLabel>1</versionLabel>

</application>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant how to customize the adt.jar file...

I assume you need to decompile it and modify it. But what specifically needs to be changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... I'm really not qualified to do any such thing ( or know where to start )  I'm just a grahic designer fiddling with these things...  if you do what did the last time, i'll check and see if its the same on android on my next build - anyway i would really appriciate the newest version sdk / adt.jar modified!

best regards Søren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me list of languages that you required. Will update Air sdk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just need da/danish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just need Hebrew.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this one and let me know if it works for you http://gamespoweredby.com/adt.html so I will tweet the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for transparency, (as I think it is useful to know what modifications are being made to adt.jar if you are going to just use a modified adt.jar without knowing what mods are being done)...

If I were to guess, I'd image Anton is taking the adt.jar, unzipping it and decompiling the Java .class file "com.adobe.air.ApplicationDescriptor"

This class file contains a hard-coded array of strings in source:

public static final List ALL_SUPPORTED_LANGUAGES = Arrays.asList(new String[] {
        "cs", "de", "en", "es", "fr", "it", "ja", "ko", "nl", "pl", 
        "pt", "ru", "sv", "tr", "zh"
    });

Modify this list and recompile the class as needed with its dependencies, and inject this modified compiled .class into a new adt.jar

I personally think this is poor validation design by Adobe to have all these rules and strings hard coded into compiled Java classes when there are perfectly good XML Schema .xsd files in the SDK folder under: templates/air/Descriptor.*.xsd  that would perform all the same validations without the heavy handed maintenance of Java coding by Adobe, and then also give us developers the ability to fix or modify the validation rules in the  .xsds to pass the validation process and adjust valid elements of the app descriptor without waiting for a new SDK build as features like image sizes or valid languages are introduced on the platform OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost same but instead decompiling I'm disassembling it, change bytecode and assemble back. It's more faster and not generate errors.

Mistake here in that Adobe hard-coded everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree.  Even if you make an argument for wanting encapsulation of the adt.jar itself, Adobe could at least have loaded the valid strings from an embedded .properties file within the .jar so you wouldn't even have to use a disassembler to modify the strings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moreover - adding new language for iOS it's not only adding strings. It's also adding new folders with name [LANG_CODE].lproj with additional files. So simple .properties file will not solve issue. They also must exclude from adt.jar additional folders and make them external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just updated http://labs.gamespoweredby.com/sdk/ with Danish and Hebrew support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines