• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does recent news of the complete removal of Flash from browsers affect AIR ?

Engaged ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently it was announced that Google will now block Flash by default ... making an end to all flash video and flash banner ads as the publishers of this content will not use it since users would be required to "Click to view".

This will obviously be a huge hit to Adobe and the sales of their tools due to people switching to HTML5 for video and ads.

Do you think Adobe will continue to support it for the people that enjoy using their tools for app development?  It's very interesting.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe make tools that can create the HTML5 content, including Flash Pro, so they stand to gain from any change to HTML5 instead of plugins. The click to use plugins is already in place with Safari and Firefox, people will cope. I don't think it affects AIR at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it doesn't affect AIR. I have a lot of apps out there. It would be terrible if all of a sudden I couldn't update them anymore, etc because Adobe kills it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I turned on click-to-activate model for Flash content because I tired from stupid developers who don't understand how to develop Flash content. In most cases it's banner ad creators that applying 100500 filters and putting hi-res images on small area and turn on scaling... Totally newbies mistakes of content developers made me crazy. Also develops of video players that don't know about removing unused listeners and adding listeners that required by some videos with metadata ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be exact, Google does not block every flash with "click to play". It blocks only flash elements, which are not "in the central part of the view". So mainly banners around the borders, not large games or videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has changed the Roadmap for Flash to focus exclusively on gaming and premium video years ago, so they did see this coming and should be prepared. I really hope the current media shitstorm towards Flash ends soon and we can get back to business. Flash is a great technology if used for the right things, so maybe all the haters will make a bit less noise if Flash disappears for ad banners and people will realize that badly programmed HTML5 banners are not any better. Regarding Adobe's sales it would be interesting to see the impact of the recent changes, probably they did not turn to the better, but lets hope they are still good enough. And just to repeat the point, I am sure some companies would pay more for Flash/Air licenses if there is a guarantee for continued support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The title of this thread is misleading. Flash isn't being "completely removed from browsers", it's just Flash ads in Chrome will not play automatically. Chrome and Edge (Microsoft's new Win10 browser) will still come with Flash Player built-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines