Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ideas and suggestions for new roadmap

Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Now that Harman will manage new versions of AIR, and are asking for community feedback, I thought it would be nice to gather here all ideas, suggestions, bug reports or any brainstorming that could help Andrew and his team plan their next steps.

PLEASE, DON'T use this thread for opinions, ego wars or pure speculations about Adobe or pessimistic views about AIR. There are already two big threads dedicated to this, we don't need a third one. For once, let's try to be factual and constructive. Thank you.

I think we could split the points in three categories:

- Short term actions

- What new features would be appreciated

- Long term plans

1) Short term actions:

- Implement Android 64bits support

- Create a website dedicated to AIR, presenting its features and gathering as much resources as possible. Possibly create also dedicated forums, as Adobe forums may be a cursed place, now.

- Anticipate iOS SDK upgrade for requirements that may come with iOS 13

2) Cool new features:

- Adaptive icon support on Android

- Assets.car generator for iOS developers using Windows platform

- Add more texture RAM for mobile

- Improve Android audio support

- Make some AS3 methods compatible with object pooling like for example Matrix.transformPoint

3) Long term plans

- Market AIR and spread the word about this tech. Provide tutorials, examples, videos...

- Keep Android and iOS SDK up to date

- Maintain compatibility with current toolchains, including Adobe Animate

- Linux target ?

- Web target ?

Those are the points I had in mind, but I'm sure you all have specific needs and ideas. So please, share!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StageWebView and HTMLLoader rendered with chromium on desktop and Android.  Would open the whole HTML5 world to be easily embedded in an AIR app.   iOS is already using the latest browser, it's a huge gap in the cross platform ability.

That's it.  All I dream about...

Yes I'm aware I can 'roll my own' to get this functionality with quite a bit of effort and separate advanced installers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking in count that Harman is going to charge for AIR SDK, they will have to work hard to make it much more competitive, if they are comparing the possible pricing plans with Unity ones, they must make AIR technically comparable with Unity, this could be:

• 2D Editor, because Animate wont be included in the Harman price plans, unless be an AIR subscription included for Adobe CC subscribers. It would be logic and fair that the long time Adobe supporters are taking in count with some kind of priority, or at least a discount.
  • 3D Editor, this has been a huge lack since Stage3D appearance, and if they want to compare AIR with Unity, they must implement one.
  • GUI Editor, this is another feature of Unity that AIR must have to be comparable.
  • Complete native access included and less ANE dependent, they must think on the developers costs balance points, right now most of them are paying a lot of money for almost every native functionality for each app on a subscription basis, monthly or yearly, and no matter if their apps are old, they must pay for their subscriptions or their apps will stop working. If the business is going to be on the SDK and building tools, the ANEs Market Place must be reduced to a just special or specific functionality, not for almost everything like now. AIR must include native access or implementation to: Social integration, IAP, Ads Networks, all sensors, ARCore, ARKit, server less P2P, robust multiplayer/user API, updated StageWebView and HTMLLoader, among a lot of other features. Developers can't still paying for Adobe CC, for ANEs subscriptions plus Adobe AIR SDK/Tools subscription fee, this will become AIR the most expensive pipeline on the market.
  • Again, if they want to charge something similar to Unity, they MUST include all of the platforms Unity offer: Standalone Win,Mac and Linux, iOS, Android, UWP, tvOS, PS4, Xbox, WebGL/HTML5, Facebook.
  • They MUST think on AR/VR/MR/XR, it is mandatory for today development, Unity offers a lot of solutions and integration possibilities to all of them.
  • A real support channel, ticked based, realtime chat, email, among support forums, not only community forums like now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one, HARMAN published their long term roadmap not long ago and it represents about 0.01% of your list. Maybe if we can wait 150 years ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where you're coming from with the idea of "if they're charging what Unity charges, it must do everything that Unity can do", but I do think AIR is its own beast which has its own strengths that are different from Unity (although of course there is a lot of overlap), and it doesn't necessarily need to follow exactly in its footsteps.

There are so many varied use cases for AIR, I'm sure it's tricky for Harman (or Adobe previously) to decide what to implement or focus on for roadmaps.  Some developers are using it for UI-based apps, some for games, some using Starling, some using GPU-accelerated vector graphics, etc., so what would benefit one group may not benefit some others.  Personally I don't have any need myself for a 2D/3D/GUI Editor, and that sounds like it would be a HUGE undertaking to basically make a replacement for Adobe Animate with the addition of 3D features which Animate never had.  I'm also not as concerned about having all native features being added to the core of AIR, for all of the ANEs we've used the pricing has been very reasonable and don't require ongoing subscriptions.  I'd much rather see them spend time on adding new features/updates to the AIR runtime and fixing bugs that have been hanging around for years, and keeping up with the moving target of mobile app store requirements.  Though of course there are others using AIR in different ways who may have different needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat as Flipline.  I am not a game developer, but a business app developer.  So I just need things to be updated to keep up with App Store requirements, fix bugs, keep things like Webkit current and functional.  I am sure that there are a lot of developers who need 3D and game functionality, but not at the expense of having to rewrite Animate and lose focus on keeping the AIR runtime current and up to date.  In my world, the order of priorities looks like this:

1) Keep AIR current with modern device requirements

2) Fix bugs in current components

3) Add new features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100% with William Spence, Flipline and ASWC

I don't think you can expect a small team at Harman to take the AIR runtime and make it compete with Unity.

They are not using it for games and it's not in their company interest.

They'll be focused on the above list which works fine of my use case as well and I'll support them to do so.  The number one thing on my list would be an updated web browser on windows desktop, which is on their 'future if funded' list.

If you're starting a 'serious' 3D game and not in Unity, Lumberyard, or Unreal then you're wasting your time.  Maybe BabylonJS if you're looking to be web based now and can wait for WebGL to catch up with the big boys.  Likely Amazon will have a direct port from Lumberyard to Sumerian in the future, which is why I would consider Lumberyard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanna let clear that Adrew from Harman was the one who compared AIR with Unity, I Use a lot of engines, frameworks and SDKs including Unity3D for a long time ago, I've made about 35 games, some of them using Unity, some using Unreal, some using Haxe, and of course some Using AIR because my first ones were made with Flash, so I really know the difference between them, and I also know their limitations, and AIR has a lot. For some reason Harman guys think that AIR and Unity are comparable, so they could charge for AIR something similar and with similar tiers, I don't know why they think that, I would have never compared them.

They just released their prices tables that confirm what I said, not only they think AIR and Unity are comparable, but they think AIR is better because according with that table it's going to be more expensive, and with a road map so short that seems like some kind of bad joke. And is not only the high prices for the SDK, developers must still paying for CC if want some content production and packaging speed, and developer must still paying for ANEs even for simple things like a device ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanna let clear that Adrew from Harman was the one who compared AIR with Unity,

Yes but that comparison is used only to implement similar model, not exact values. Currently on Unity site subscription for unity is 125$/month per seat. Harman will charge only about 16$ per seat. That is a huge price difference and I think it is fair and it is not near to what Unity is asking which is again fair because Unity has more features.

I think that 16$ per month is really reasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you are making a comparison in the same bad way than Harman...

You are comparing the most expensive Unity Plan with the AIR's Cheaper Plan, that's so unrealistic as the Harman's prices table itself. you must compare plans of the same range:

Plans for Unity are 3:

Free: Just 2 Seconds of Splashlogo, not a screen, you can mix your logo with theirs in the same screen, and 100k Revenue Cap

Basic: US$25/month for 1 Seat, discounts for additional seats, NO Revenue Cap

Pro: US$41/month for 1 Seat (US$125/month for 3 seats), discounts for additional seats, NO Revenue Cap

Plans for AIR are 4:

Free: SplashScreen, a whole screen, I hope will be 2 seconds or less, 50K Revenue Cap

Basic: US$16 per seat, no discount for additional seat, and 100k Revenue Cap

Pro: US$70/month per seat, and 500k Revenue Cap

Enterprise: US$93/month per seat, and NO Revenue Cap

Harman is capping by revenue even for their most expensive plans, and for the free it is pretty low, the cap for the AIR Basic is the same than the cap for the Unity Free...

Harman talks about discounts for bulk licenses if your month subscription will be cost more than 10K, Unity offers discount per additional seat on every plan

SO, you CAN'T compare Unity Pro with AIR Basic, this is ridiculous...

In the only Tier that Adobe apparently seems Cheaper is in the Basic Tier, here is when you take in count what you receive for that money:

• Extensions:
    • Unity: more than 200 free extensions directly supported by Unity, a vast Assets/extensions market place centralized and regulated by Unity and with access directly from the development tools, all of the basic native access are included, IAP, Ads, Social, Device ID, ALL Sensors, etc. etc.
    • AIR: you find 3 mayors ANEs vendors with pretty high prices and some seems abandoned, Milkman for example, never answered a single support mail
  • Platforms:
    • Unity: 11 platforms including Web, Game Consoles, TVs... 2 architectures per platform
    • AIR: offers just 3 platforms, and only one with 2 architectures: iOS, includes a very limited and basic native access you must even pay a month subscription to have access to the device ID
  • Editor:
    • Unity: a huge and professional 2D/3D editor with state machines managers, machine learning, animators, timelines, particle systems, 3D/2D physics, GUI editor, UX simulation, a rock solid debugger, 3 different programming languages, native cpp compilation, direct native access to the devices, professional sound engine and APIs, GPU acceleration for everything, support for mayor 3D APis, DirectX, Metal, Vulcan, OpenGLES2, OpenGLES3, assignable code for individual objects, apps packager/signing integrated, always updated WebKit, rock solid networking, multiplayer included, P2P included, IAP, Social, AR/MR/XR, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
    • AIR: No 3D Editor, No GUI Editor, Adobe Animate can be used as 2D editor if your app is going to use CPU acceleration, there is no editor at all for GPU acceleration, the app packager can be used now only for RSA2048 signed apps, we must abandon support for old but still active signed with RSA1024, 1 programming language, and pretty limited, no native compilation, AIR is just a runtime for the compiled SWFs that's the main reason AIR will never offer a complete native hardware support, even for common tasks like camera or microphone, pretty obsolete sound API, no particle system, no physics, no machine learning, no state machines, you can't even use MovieClips with timelines on Stage3D Frameworks like Starling, because are completely unsupported, pretty good networking but the only option to implement true P2P never came out from labs: Cirrus, and past week Adobe announcement that will definitely kill it, well that is pretty sad, the only option for multiplayer game development, is to use third party networking/servers or have their own datacenters to install their own servers, etc. etc. etc.
  • Support:
    • Unity: almost one hour to maximum 1 day of Unity Team response, a dedicated support forum, plus a HUGE community forum.
    • AIR: In my entire life I've received 2 or 3 answers directly from Adobe guys, the rest has being solved using community forums.

Well if you DON'T think that this is to much much much more expensive than Unity plans, were your are deeply in love with AIR at the point you are completely blind, I love Flash a lot, I've begun my game development business with Flash/AS2/AS3 and I decided to support Adobe against the universal battle to destroy Flash, I've been an Adobe software buyer since Macromedia, but now I am going to drop all of my Adobe CC subscriptions because I think Adobe doesn't pay supporters as they deserve. And this thing with Harman is a Joke, it is a mockery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juvelez  wrote

• Extensions:
    • Unity: more than 200 free extensions directly supported by Unity, a vast Assets/extensions market place centralized and regulated by Unity and with access directly from the development tools, all of the basic native access are included, IAP, Ads, Social, Device ID, ALL Sensors, etc. etc.
    • AIR: you find 3 mayors ANEs vendors with pretty high prices and some seems abandoned, Milkman for example, never answered a single support mail

You forgot to mention the long list of open source ANE which are free

juvelez  wrote

• Platforms:
    • Unity: 11 platforms including Web, Game Consoles, TVs... 2 architectures per platform
    • AIR: offers just 3 platforms, and only one with 2 architectures: iOS, includes a very limited and basic native access you must even pay a month subscription to have access to the device ID

for Unity many platforms, the web in particular, do not implement the whole API
so yeah there are a lot of platforms but not all of them are at the same level

for AIR, only 3 platforms? nope it is much more than that

AIR has the great advantage of a consistent versioning for many years

so if you downgrade the AIR version you can reach much more publishing targets

Windows: Intel 32-bit and 64-bit
downgrade allow you to reach old Windows like Windows XP etc.

macOS: mainly Intel 64-bit

downgrade allow to publish for Intel 32-bit and PPC

iOS: mainly 64-bit, before 32-bit was supported too
as a platform you can add tvOS too

Android: ARM 32-bit and x86 32-bit
AIR 33 add ARM 64-bit (maybe x86_64 64-BIT?)
there also you can add Android TV as a platform

Linux: downgrading to AIR 2.6 allow to publish to x86 32-bit Elf binaries

so even conservatively, AIR can publish to 4 platforms (Windows, macOS, Android and iOS)
and at least 2 with 2 architectures or more (Windows 32-bit/64-bit, Android Armv7/armv8/x86)

juvelez  wrote

• Editor:
    • AIR: No 3D Editor, No GUI Editor, Adobe Animate can be used as 2D editor if your app is going to use CPU acceleration, there is no editor at all for GPU acceleration, the app packager can be used now only for RSA2048 signed apps, we must abandon support for old but still active signed with RSA1024, 1 programming language, and pretty limited, no native compilation, AIR is just a runtime for the compiled SWFs that's the main reason AIR will never offer a complete native hardware support, even for common tasks like camera or microphone, pretty obsolete sound API, no particle system, no physics, no machine learning, no state machines, you can't even use MovieClips with timelines on Stage3D Frameworks like Starling, because are completely unsupported, pretty good networking but the only option to implement true P2P never came out from labs: Cirrus, and past week Adobe announcement that will definitely kill it, well that is pretty sad, the only option for multiplayer game development, is to use third party networking/servers or have their own datacenters to install their own servers, etc. etc. etc.

only 1 programming language and no native compilation?
you're forgetting ANE there

everything you're mentioning about "never offer a complete native hardware support" is there in the ANE
so sure, you can not just write C (or whatever else) to build the full app in another language
but I would argue ANE can pretty much extend AIR to access anything

and I would add in a pretty nice way

same for MovieClip and Stage3D, you can use both at the same time, maybe not the way you want

"P2P never came out from labs", you had Adobe Media Server for years, expensive but it is there

"the only option for multiplayer game development, is to use third party

networking/servers or have their own datacenters to install their own servers"

yeah well most case are like that whatever the runtime/framework, or at least it does not come for free by default

see Unity Multiplayer Estimate Your Monthly Bill
also

How much does Unity Multiplayer cost? – Unity

Unity offers a free amount of Concurrent users (CCU) for each license.

• Personal: 20 Concurrent Users

• Plus: 50 Concurrent Users

• Professional: 200 Concurrent Users

even 200 CCU while free is not much
1000 CCU for real-time will set you up to ~$300/month, that's not free at all

just sayin'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"for Unity many platforms, the web in particular, do not implement the whole API"

Oh please, don't go there. All cross platform techs adjust to their platform targets, that's literally what they are supposed to do. The web as a platform is severely limited and Unity adjust to those limitations like ANY other cross platform tech with a web target. Thanks really Mr Captain Obvious ....

"for AIR, only 3 platforms? nope it is much more than that"

Great, we can compile AIR for old computers/OS .... That was worth mentioning ....

"but I would argue ANE can pretty much extend AIR to access anything"

Sure but there's a point where you have to put so much functionality into your ANEs that the cross platform tech becomes almost irrelevant and you should just switch to native dev directly. The point here is that Unity out of the box platform based features compared to AIR is simply huge.

The point here is that if AIR pricing compares to Unity (even if it's only in some scenarios) then we should compare the techs and see what we get out of the box for the price. Giving the state of AIR right now and how close to Unity AIR 33 pricing is, I think HARMAN is making a huge mistake and they won't get the "new users" they said they wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, You really take the time don't you?

zwetan_uk  wrote

for Unity many platforms, the web in particular, do not implement the whole API
so yeah there are a lot of platforms but not all of them are at the same level

That's true but only applies for different target ecosystems, and with minor adjustments you could use the 95% of your base code. You could use 100% of code if you are targeting same ecosystem, of course if you are doing AR/MR/XR apps you can't target web or TVs, my board games work on every platform that Unity's offer using more than 90% of the base code.

"P2P never came out from labs", you had Adobe Media Server for years, expensive but it is there

"the only option for multiplayer game development, is to use third party

networking/servers or have their own datacenters to install their own servers"

yeah well most case are like that whatever the runtime/framework, or at least it does not come for free by default

see Unity Multiplayer Estimate Your Monthly Bill
also

How much does Unity Multiplayer cost? – Unity

Unity offers a free amount of Concurrent users (CCU) for each license.

• Personal: 20 Concurrent Users

• Plus: 50 Concurrent Users

• Professional: 200 Concurrent Users

even 200 CCU while free is not much
1000 CCU for real-time will set you up to ~$300/month, that's not free at all

just sayin'

Well that was a pretty interesting arguing, lets put things simpler:

How many concurrent users do AIR allows you per plan? Free: 0, Basic: 0, Pro:0, Enterprise: 0
How many concurrent users do Unity allows you per plan?: Free: 20, Plus: 50, Pro: 200

What additional investment you must do with AIR?: Adobe Media Server: US$4,999, you must pay for hosting that server on your own data centers, or paying for AWS, and its about US$0.89 per GB of data

What additional investment you must do with Unity: US$0, do you need, Data Centers?: NO, do you need pay for the server software?: NO, is the P2P rendezvous open for third party servers?: YES, how much you must pay for asditional non P2P users: US$0.49 per GIGABYTE of data, how many giga bytes do your game need?

Do AIR offers any rendezvous for your P2P?, NO, you are going to say: Cirrus, but was never allowed to be used commercially and it is going to be closed forever in the next few months, which was the reason Adobe said?: LOW USAGE, well, if there is a more ironic reason to close a technology that every multiuser AIR developer prayed for it, Cirrus could be a huge leverage for AIR, but Adobe decide to close it, and just a few days after they decided to sell AIR.

You forgot to mention the long list of open source ANE which are free

Where?, show me, I've lost several months trying to not pay to Milkman for their unsupported AdMob ANE, testing alternatives, I've tested several "Open Source" ANEs for that, only one works, and after a few months my apps were on the stores we discovered the author was deriving our earnings to his own account, that's what this unsupported, non official ANEs worth for.

Do you thing you can wrote an entire app natively without the double the costs that implies?, why some body will do that?, if you must program your entire App on Xcode and your entire App on Android Studio, only to pack it with AIR, that have some sense?, and the only native part do you get is the ANE part, the rest of the app container, caller, listener, will be always interpreted. With Unity your entire app not only the extensions, is compiled natively.

for AIR, only 3 platforms? nope it is much more than that

AIR has the great advantage of a consistent versioning for many years

so if you downgrade the AIR version you can reach much more publishing targets

Ok, you're right, I've counted separately each PC platform to count 11, for AIR, if you count that PCs separately you will have 4 instead of 3: Mac, Pc, iOS and Android, you can't count deprecated ones like Linux, even downgrading your SDK, this would be a HUGE irresponsibility because the main reason a technology is updated is Security, if you downgrade, you are putting in risk the integrity of your clients or even worst of your users.

You can't count architectures as platforms, Unity offers 11 platforms with all of its architectures, 64, 32, x86...

For me the main difference is: Since Google announcement, Unity release x64 Android support in their next release, without any additional costs for all of us; what did Adobe?, saw a thousand of developers between the sword and the wall, increased the commercial value of AIR with those potential AIR buyers, and SOLD IT. What will give any long term, confidence, warranty or support, with that kind of antecedent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juvelez  wrote

OK juvelez I will just add you to the list of people who do not know what they are talking about, please keep talking with ASWC you will get along just fine

not only you are limited in your view of tech, but you're judging whole pan of tech like opne source ANE, because you had a bad experience once? and for what because you did not bother to review the code? yeah I get it, let's just use things for free and let's complain to the max when things are not free anymore

the security arguments on deprecated things like AIR 2.6 Linux is also so stupid
please tell me how this does put users at risk? it is a a desktop app, you already have file system access, you can delete stuff, you cn execute stuff, etc.

it is not the web...

OK I'm done with bullshit arguments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Condescending and insulting .... Aren't you tired of being wrong constantly? You even manage on multiple occasion to argue against yourself (calling people "wrong" here for saying what YOU say on other forums) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, it is just tiring to have no real technical arguments

what I see is a bunch of egoistical game dev, who think they are so special because they are making games
they do not care about the community, they do not care about open source, they do not care about their own topic of discussion (are we not off topic yet?), they do not care of others AIR dev that may not be developing games, that may not be developing on mobile, etc.

all I see is "me me me", "my stuff matters, the rest can go die in fire"

topic was "Ideas and suggestions for new roadmap"
and all I read is "I need this stuff fast and free" and "oh let's make tons of unfair arguments towards a tech (AIR) they barely grasp"

OK then go ahead keep "discussing" watching your own belly button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a thread about ideas and suggestions so of course you are going to see "me me me" ideas and suggestions, that's kind of the point. And of course you are going to see unrealistic ideas and suggestions that's also kind of the point of that kind of thread. Bunch of people here like working with AIR (including me) but find it hard or impossible to sell to their management anymore. So yeah we post here the features we dream AIR could have so we could keep working with it, it's sad but it's also fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People on the earth these days want everything for free, including me. The clients that use our apps wish that they were free too, but nobody can make any money when things are free and business becomes unsustainable.  That is sadly what happened to AIR.  Personally, I am more than happy to pay some each year to use a professional tech.  It gives me confidence that the company supporting it can afford to keep it up to date and provide new features.  Harman is not charging us a fortune, it is a fair price for what you are getting, a fair price when you consider the amount of potential they are providing us to make a decent living with our ideas.  If you are making more than 500k, why would you be upset to pay up to 1k/year for your SDK??? That is a huge return on investment!  Who cares if it is a few dollars more or less than Unity.  There is only one question you need to ask, and that is, is it worth it to YOU!?!? Porting an entire app to a new technology is a HUGE investment, and I would much rather pay Harman a fair price to be able to stick with AIR, and I am absolutely going to.  It is worth it to ME!

Is it worth it to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my particular case, it is not worth it anymore, it used to be the perfect solution though. Our top product generates millions of dollars every year and its target corner stone is the web (most users), from that code base we publish for desktop and mobile as well which are also used heavily, Android platform being the least used but is still important to us. So our AS3 code base while it still can publish for web (Flash) that target is gone by 2020 so we had to do something. We wrote a converter that converted our code base to typescript and most of our platform targets are now running on typescript/WebGL, the mobile being the last ones in the process of conversion/adaptation. So that's the sad truth for us, if we can't have a AS3 code that publishes for the web then we can't use AIR anymore, it doesn't fit our requirements. I would much prefer using AIR and AS3 to do all this but I can't anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly get that.  That would leave you with options like Xamarin, Flutter, or Unity.

Just taking a shot from left field because I have no experience with web development, but I understand that over on the Apache Flex site, they offer a solution called Royale which used to be called FlexJS and translates your MXML/Actionscript code into Javascript for a web target

Apache Royaleâ„¢ - Code once. Run everywhere.

It is definitely not developed enough to call it a Flash Replacement by a long shot, but if you have a basic business application, I believe that it offers a web target based on MXML and Actionscript.  You sound like a smart guy, so have probably already checked it out, but if not you may want to take a look before leaving AIR in the dust.  Here is a thread where I was asking about it and Alex Harui gave me a simple overview:

Apache Flex Users - Porting Flex/AIR to the web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were in the same boat, with a large portion of our users playing on the web, the rest on mobile. We have decided to port our codebase from AS3 to Haxe. Now we use Haxe+OpenFL to output HTML5 directly and a swf file. The swf will be packaged with Air to deploy to mobile. We are very happy with the decision and the outcome in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rewb0rn​, out of curiosity, why export to SWF (ultimately AIR) for mobile from Haxe/OpenFL, when you have the ability to export to native?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because some things like fonts rendering or filters would probably look different when exporting with OpenFL and native. We also use a number of Adobe native extensions that we would have to replace. And in our experience a considerable amount of testing and fixing had to be done when exporting for HTML5, so we expect the same effort with Haxe and native. So right now there is no reason to put all this work and get visually less appealing result. But ultimately we would have the option, in case Air support is dropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HARMAN has made a few changes in their roadmap, especially the long term where they have now added WebAssembly, now this is a lot more interesting for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have said that it would probably have limited apis for linux or web assembly. I never exported to web assembly with other techologies. Have anyone did this before, what are the limitations? What is easy and what is hard to achieve when exporting to web assembly. What are the biggest obstacles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no clue at this point, I haven't tried it yet. But the fact that's in the list is encouraging, this goes from nothing for the web to something for the web so I like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines