• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is AIR4 compatible with iPad1?

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to be able to install my app compiled with AIR4 on iPad1 (iOS 5). It works on iPad3 (iOS7).

I have both devices with provisioning profiles but when I try to install with iTunes, I get a not helpful error "MyApp failed to install"

Last time I compiled and tested on iPad1 was with AIR3.7

Is this a known issue?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

See here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tech-specs.html

The requirements for iOS has been increased to 6.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tech-specs.html

The requirements for iOS has been increased to 6.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that iPhone3GS seems to be excluded from the iOS devices list too. I was trying to work out the best way of excluding that device (as performance is not perfect on that device for an app I'm currently working on).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that’s a shame in a way. Apps generally are ok on 3gs, and updates using AIR 4.0 will no longer work on 3gs, because I think it is limited to iOS 6.0.4.

I’ll explain that to my colleagues and clients!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

That's correct,  the system requirements have been updated with AIR 4.0. Technically, it's still possible to run the AIR applications on lower OS versions, however the bugs which are specific to the lower OS versions do get the lower priority now.

Thanks

-Pahup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin. It was silly of me, I should have checked the system requirements but for some reason I was pretty sure Adobe will not drop compatibility with older devices. Makes sense though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Armand,

For what it's worth, I haven't had issues so far installing and running one of my AIR 4.0 apps onto an iPad1 with iOS 5.1.1, confirming what Pahup is saying.

Notes:

• Installing the *.ipa via iTunes worked for me, as well as doing it via the command line ( adt -installApp -platform ios -package yourApp.ipa ).  So, I am not sure why you couldn't install your app.

• Another detail for compatibility's sake, if you are using Stage3D: the max texture size on older iOS devices is 1024 ( 2048 doesn't seem to work on iPad1, as far as I could tell ).

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does this affect existing apps on the app store that you want to update?  If you compile an update with AIR 4 will the application loader not allow you to upload or does it understand that it is an update for a subset of devices?  Does this mean we have to keep two versions of AIR available - one for updating existing apps and one for creating new apps with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried those builds with the current version of AIR 4, or the next version (the one that is built for iOS 7)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are able to set the minimum OS version in the app descriptor XML. I must try setting that and then do a test to iPad 1 and 3gs, see what happens. Without setting that the current AIR 4.0 does build to those two ok, we’ll see next week if the iOS 7 build version still works.

One worry is that you could make an app that you can build and test onto your own devices, but if iOS 6.1 is forced into the IPA that gets submitted, then customers on earlier systems won’t be shown the app in the store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@AsterLUXman

Just to clarify, 2048 sized textures do work fine on iPad1 with Stage3D, not sure what settings or code environment you tested on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines