• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"application" can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have developed an application and packaged in with captive runtime on Mac.

Whenevr I try to run the .app file on OS 10.9 I get the message:

"application name" can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Any solution to this without having to change system settings?

Thanks

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

You can right-click or control-click on the application and select Open from there. Then you’re given the option to open the app even though it’s from an unknown developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can right-click or control-click on the application and select Open from there. Then you’re given the option to open the app even though it’s from an unknown developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, but that would be a bit weird. I mean not being able to double click the app directly, is there a reason/fix for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that after you have once opened the app with a right-click, it will then work with a double click.

To solve the problem you would need the app to have a full certificate, not a self assigned one. On the lines of Verisign. But I don’t know the steps involved in doing that. You would presumably add the certificate in the Certificate part of the app settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I developed a couple of AIR apps for a client with a code-signing certificate from Thawte and it always installed just fine in the past. After upgrading my Mac OS X to version 10.9 (with Adobe CC and Adobe AIR runtime previously installed), however, I am also getting the 'Unidenfied Developer' message on one of the apps. Is anyone else experiencing this on Mac OS X 10.9? Other operating systems install the app fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the new restriction wasn't just that you used any full certificate, but that you at least had to use the new DeveloperID certificate system from Apple:

https://developer.apple.com/developer-id/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Jeffrey,

That would truely be annoying since my client wanted to use Adobe AIR for the cross-OS support. We are using the online side-car badge installer so that it can be installed on Mac, Windows and Linux machines...

I'll look into this more and add to the discussion if I find anything useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it’s worth, if you control-click (or right-click) on the application and choose Open, you get a chance to say that you trust the developer. The choice is remembered, so you will be able to double click from then on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, you mentioned this back in December above. Unfortunately, way too many users of OS X (non-developers) don't usually know that using right-click open has this optional difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you're creating a commercial app, that's not going to inspire confidence in customers. Has anyone been through the process of using an Apple ID to configure an AIR installer so it doesn't come up with this message? It thought I was finally getting close to being set when I invested in the certificate to avoid a similar message in Windows. Now I need to understand how to sign the app so customers don't think I'm some rogue developer by encouraging them to shortcut their security settings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, you are correct that it should be properly signed in order to ensure that the installer can trust the developer. Good point. I just find it annoying that i have to add a new workflow step and add a second signed certificate just to comply with Apple's new methodology.

i'm currently in talks with my client to see about going through the Apple certificate process and i'll post my findings afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this? Can you post a high-level overview?

There is some promising info in these threads, but I haven't actually tested any of those routes yet:

Gatekeeper reports that the AIR package is damaged

Re: Signing native installer with Apple's Developer ID certificate

Signing Adobe AIR applications | Adobe Developer Connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DOESN"T WORK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines