• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ridiculous!!! We need a MAC to use Application Loader to upload our apps to the AppStore??

Explorer ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, Apple has recently changed their appstore upload procedures and now require developers to use their Application Loader software to upload the binary files to appstore - which is only available on a MAC.  is there any way a Windows developer and upload an app using a PC?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

The change was over ten months ago. Prior to that the first part of the review process would involve checking for incorrect use of private API calls, and so on. Now the Application Loader does a good amount of verifying of the app, and can tell you what's wrong with it, which has to be better than you waiting a couple of weeks to only find that you had something wrong in the file.

Some people are using VM setups on WIndows to run OSX, just to run Application Uploader. See pages like this one:

http

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change was over ten months ago. Prior to that the first part of the review process would involve checking for incorrect use of private API calls, and so on. Now the Application Loader does a good amount of verifying of the app, and can tell you what's wrong with it, which has to be better than you waiting a couple of weeks to only find that you had something wrong in the file.

Some people are using VM setups on WIndows to run OSX, just to run Application Uploader. See pages like this one:

http://lifehacker.com/5583650/run-mac-os-x-in-virtualbox-on-windows

Or, check amongst all of your colleagues and family, there is a chance that someone within not too bad commuting distance from you uses a Mac.

Another option would be to spend $700 to get one of these:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

That may seem like a small fortune, but you could easily spend more than that you to get a decent Android tablet to test on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next to the correct things from Colin it makes sense, because it is usual that you develop on a mac for iOS devices. So it nothing big against someone, because when working with the normal iOS - xCode environment you will already have a mac. At least that is what Apple is officially thinking. So why should they provide a version for that upload tool to a different os, when their development tools are for mac only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should be more up front about this issue for Windows or Non Mac users.

Luckily I found out about this before becoming an Apple Dev or Upgrading to CS5.5 and forking out all that money only to find I couldn't do the final step....

Though was still annoyed at spending hours reading up about Flash / IOS development when a line on the Adobe site or help would potentially have saved a lot of time.

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wouldn't consider finding a solution, either a friend with a Mac, or a VM one, or buy the cheapest one on Ebay you can find? Then you could go on to make millions of dollars with your hit game "Angry Geeks".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also need friends with a 3GS, a 4, an ipad/2 etc   (oh and fax machine as that's what Apple needs for sending  dev approval  info to...)

Along with the hope that the Adobe Flash to IOS code will run as well as the code does on Android....

And then still be rejected by the Apple approval process or find the rules change again....

Time / money / possible return - the usual issues.

Sadly too much hassle for now

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the first challenge will be finding a friend!

By the way, these are other neat tools for developing iOS apps without having to learn Objective C:

Unity: http://unity3d.com/

LiveCode: http://www.runrev.com/

GameSalad: http://gamesalad.com/

Corona: http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/

Titanium: http://www.appcelerator.com/

Alas, I believe all of them require a Mac to develop on for making iOS apps, and also still would need a Mac to do the actual upload at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. No matter how a framework boasts of the multi-platform features, in the end you still need a MAC to upload. That's a pity. We should be warned first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get my free android app (done with Flash CS5) into the Android Market in about 2 days.  And most of that time spent was on creating the icons.

my rant:

Now it has already taken me two weeks to get my free iphone app (same android app) into the App Store... with all the certificates, the p12 files, getting the device ids, the inability to login to itunesconnect, the recompile with the distribution certificates.  and now I'm stuck because I don't have a MAC to upload the app... and even after that, i have to pray that someone at Apple will see the app and approve it.

Apple could have kept the uploading process in the browser with the Application Loader as an option.  but instead, I have no option but to find a friend who has a MAC.  and this is going to be a challenge because most of my friends are technically advanced.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the reality of app development for cross-platform.

In general you will need the hardware related to which platform you are targeting, sometimes it can work with emulators and/or VM, but sometimes it doesn't and you do need the "real" hardware.

Every app store on different platforms have different rules.

If you were on a Mac and wanted to publish a desktop app for Windows you would need a Windows machine too,

and if you wanted to sign the app with a code signing certificate a VM may not be enough as nowadays you need to
enter a PIN code on a USB card reader (a kind of hardware dongle) to sign Windows apps and so you would need "real" hardware to do just that.

A hackintosh is a good solution (I use one as main comp) but it will need some personal time to setup something like that,

so now your choice is either trade time to get a mac "on the cheap" with a hackintosh, or trade money eg. invest in a mac mini to save time.

I'm not saying it is ideal, but those are classic problems when you do app development for different platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer! I was hoping this wasn't the case - it isn't exactly clear from the outset (unlike apps like Corona which make it pretty explicit). I'd been getting pretty excited about porting my Playbook Apps to iOS, but am now working out whats best to do. Probably buy a Mac Mini - not too keen on the VM hack or begging time off my Mac fanboy friends (after teasing them for years for over spending on mediocre kit) ... yikes ! Big spanner in my works ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, getting a Mac Mini might be your best option if you already have a monitor and keyboard.  a macbook is a little bit more costly.  just make sure you have iOS version 10.5.5 (Leopard/Snow Leopard) on whichever Mac you buy.

i hate Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand your feeling. Probably i have to go through all of these unfavorable situations when i am going to upload ios apps...

And no choice, a Mac Mini seems the only feasible solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Upload your Binary to iTunes without Mac: http://application-loader.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too fishy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution is called 'Hackintosh'

It might take more than one installation till you have it, but as soon as you do it, you can have a VERY FAST Mac, depends on your hardware!

Ofcourse you can have a dual boot into Mac OS X and Windows without effecting each other....

Just Google it and you'll find more info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We developed a cloud service which can be used to upload your application to the App Store: https://www.wenz.io/ApplicationLoader .Current our service in the beta and can be used for free.

(I'm the creator of the site)

Best regards,

Steffen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is this process of using App Loader safe, because surely if you use someone elses details they can get your app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines