Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading - 2.6 (flame on)

May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, probably like many of you - I was amazed to see that you cannot update your existing AppStore app developed using PFI - to 2.6, you have to re-create it as a totally different App (losing all rating/downloads/reputation)

Just wanted to see how are you people tackling this - upgrading or not? myself am thinking on staying in PFI (forever for my exsiting app), and develop new ones using 2.6+.

Or did anyone find a workaround for this?

Very, very improfessional decision by Adobe - at least make this modular.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stay with PFI, have no problem with it's performance and I don't need new features of 2.6.

Also the drag & drop performance with 2.6 is worse than with PFI on iPad 1 so I will wait for some next releases.

The decision would be easier when in-app purchase is implemented (really need this feature).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it apple that is forcing this ultimatum?  Air for IOS is still a pretty new technology so people have to understand it is/will be updated in frequently intervals.   Additionally the packager for iphone was meant as a beta technology.  You can't expect your apps using beta tech to stay supported forever.  Apple is also the one that makes it so the adobe runtime is packaged with every single app.  You will notice you don't run into any of these issues with developing air for Android, by the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Publishing to iPhone was a full feature of CS5, though by then it was known that it wasn't going to get much further development done to it. But it wasn't intentionally beta.

Apple's rules haven't changed with regard to how you have to support the same devices you supported when you released the app, so it's Adobe's decision to drop support for ARM6 that led to the problem of not being able to update earlier apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines