• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will you support AppleTV apps?

Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to know where and when AIR will support the new Apple TV apps (assuming anything needs to be done on the AIR side of things, presumably iOS9 support!)

thanks

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The apple TV OS or tvOS is not iOS. It is it's own SDK although it does share iOS' frameworks but it has its own frameworks as well. It shouldn't be too hard if Adobe were it make AIR support tvOS.

It'll support iOS apps and games still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AppleTV the same as IWatch - unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"tvOS" is just a marketing name. You can bet your butt it's iOS with minor enhancements. Apple have said that if a customer buys a game on AppleTV, it will also be available to all their other devices.

So what I want is a respone FROM ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not going to be as simple as that.

tvOS uses completely different mechanics with the remote..   a game for iOS wont necessarily work on the phone, etc.

Either way .. Adobe will have to support a bunch of new features with the remote.

I really hope they support this quickly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple said developers will be able to submit universal apps, meaning that the same title that a user bought for iPhone may also be downloaded and used for iPad and for Apple TV. I don't know if that means it's a single IPA.

I have Apple TV, and tried copying a Flash published IPA file onto it, Xcode wouldn't let me, but at least the certificate and provisioning profile worked.

The Unity blog post gives more insights. I happen to be at the Unity conference right now, I'm going to try and get more information about it from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to be at Adobe MAX.... hopefully will be able to get some insights. ..  Is anyone else on here going to MAX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're also excited about the Apple TV.  Personally, I'm hoping it does much better than my Ouya, Amazon Fire TV, and Nvidia Shield TV devices that I have scattered through the house (and no one ever uses except for me )  It doesn't take much for me when it comes to gadgets, but I need an excuse to buy one of these for our house.  Once we complete our engineering investigation we'll have a much better idea of what the costs will be and if this is something we could support in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, I'll be at MAX on Tuesday and Wednesday if anyone would like to meet up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I would appreciate a meet up On Tuesday or Wednesday. What date and time would you be free? We were one of the first Flash Animation houses in America (dating back to Macromedia) and we are pushing amazing breakthrough stuff in Air. I think you will be surprised by what we are doing.

Ranjy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ranjy sounds nice, please share with the community when you have something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2015 Sep 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

can you please share any information about Adobe Air & Apple TV Support please? Are you at Adobe already working on Apple TV support? When will it be available?

I received my Apple TV Developer Kit this week and I have several Apps I'd like to publish for Apple TV as soon as possible. I created Provisioning Profiles etc. and was able to publish it with Adobe Flash CC 2015. When I try to install it to Apple TV I'm getting this Error Message:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-26 um 13.47.16.png

So please share some news about the roadmap - in case there is a pre-release build I can try out, please let me know!

Best

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADT currently strips out the UIDeviceFamily value of 3 when you close Publishing settings. If you use the old trick of publishing from the File menu to stop the entry being deleted, ADT then complains about there being an invalid entry. I also tried hacking the info.plist file to add 3 to it, and used a resigner app, but that led to a different Xcode error about the application could not be verified. If anyone knows some good resigning fixes, that would be good to know!

So, if ADT was changed to not reject UIDeviceFamily 3, things might just work!

BTW, I the value of 3 isn't a guess, I looked inside another Apple TV app's info.plist file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not good with stuff like this, but maybe someone with more knowledge will find a way to make it work.

This is my attempt so far:

1.) Published app with Flash CC 2015 as an universal App as usual

2.) Changed .ipa into .zip and un-zipped it

3.) Opened the Payload folder and opened APPNAME.app (Right-Click Packetinhalt)

Paket.jpg

4.) Opened the Info.plist inside the APPNAME.app with Textedit and changed

<key>CFBundleSupportedPlatforms</key>

<array>

<string>iPhoneOS</string>

to

<string>TVOS</string>

5.) Added <string>3</string> to <key>UIDeviceFamily</key>

6.) Saved the info.plist to the Desktop

7.) Opened Terminal and added this code:

cd /Users/essig/Desktop

codesign -f -v -s "iPhone Distribution: Jan Essig" "APPNAME.app/Info.plist" --entitlements "Info.plist" "APPNAME.app"

When I try to install the APPNAME.app to Apple TV I',m getting this Error Message:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-26 um 21.28.49.png

... when I zip the APPNAME.app and then change the suffix from .zip to .ipa I'm getting this error Message:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-26 um 21.30.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received an email from Apple today asking "about my progress on TV OS as I was seeded a new Apple TV" 5 weeks ago ...

Now what can I reply?

I have at least three Apps I want to publish for Apple TV as soon as possible - but I CAN'T DO ANYTHING as there is still no Apple TV support !! I'd like to test my apps on the TV Device but there is still no way to install them. If so, please share some news!!

I'm now waiting for any reply, a roadmap, an update, Apple TV Support or some information since 5 weeks and all I hear from Adobe is NOTHING!! Really Adobe?

Are you still working on Adobe Air / Flash or should I use Unity or Corona from now on?

Please share some news!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dasessig: First don't post your same rant everywhere, second how can you expect to buy an Apple TV device and then blame the Adobe team for not announcing the support that you were planning for. As of now no one knows if the osTV will be a success or the same fail that the Apple watch was. So I actually like that Adobe is waiting before they make any committment that might be impacting the development speed of other aspects of Air. When Adobe Air committed for Smart TVs a few years back it was a big fail and no one used it, I guess they learned their lesson.

If you want to be among the first to develop on a new platform you have to go native. Deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rewborn:

First - why not? Me and others asked Adobe over the past 5 weeks for any news about it - Adobe just said / announced nothing. If Adobe doesn't want to loose their customers / Developers using Air they should communicate what they are going to do. Some kind of roadmap would be the least I expect. There is no information about Apple TV support at all. So I post it everywhere in order to finally get a reply. Deal with it.

Second - I didn't buy the Apple TV. I received the Developer Kit from Apple in order to create Apps for it. I didn't expect it would be such a absurdity to ask ADOBE if they are going to support a new Apple Device / Platform.

Why is Unity able to Apple TV support on September 14th Unity is coming to Apple TV – Unity Blog - where is such an announcement from Adobe? Why is Unity able to take such a risk? Hum?

So your advice it to switch to another SDK, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Campbell wrote that they are looking into it / considering. What else can you expect? Unity makes more profit so yes they have more budget to commit for a new platform. If you are happy to pay for it then indeed I advise you to go there. Personally I couldn't care less for osTV and I prefer to have stable support for the platforms that Air is supporting right now, rather than to go for more features and lose stability on all the tiny details. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that you desire the support. Just stop lecturing people what they need to do or rant how everyone failed your expectations. Who are you that anyone should care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear newborn,

yes - Chris wrote 4 weeks ago. A short update / info within 4 weeks should be possible for Adobe, wrong? Is it unreasonable to expect an announcement like - "yes, we are working on it!" or - "No, still not sure" -or  "Ready in X weeks"?

I don't expect miracles - I just want to know if it is worth to hold on Adobe or better to move on. I'm not the only one who's waiting for an announcement ...and who's unsettled about Adobes future plans with Flash / Air

If you are happy to pay for it

I don't know what you are doing, I'm paying for Adobes products since more than 12 years.

... unity makes more profit than adobe!? wow.

Think about that:

- You have several Apps you want to publish on Apple TV and they are 99% ready to go

- You lucky devil received a Developer Kit / Apple TV 5 weeks ago but you can't do anything with it

- You've asked Adobe several times for some information but you didn't get any useful feedback

- Finally Apple asks YOU about your progress on Apple TV and wants so see YOUR new Apple TV Apps.

Funny guy ... you're right  - I shouldn't care about this.

What do you advice me to do? Twiddle thumbs? Whom else should I ask about Adobes roadmap than Adobe itself?

So keep calm and stop reading my posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dasessig, I just want to give you my support as I am in the same position as you.

I am waiting for any sign of confirmation from Adobe IF I will be able to ship my products for TV and at the same time reviewing other options.

I wouldn't mind paying an extra yearly fee for Adobe AIR (in addition to the CC-subscription I already pay) if that would speed up things, and I am sure many long time AIR users would do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the idea of paying an extra fee for Adobe AIR ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "native" part isn't true. I have the new Apple TV, and can ue other tools than Objective-C to try apps.  Just can't use Adobe AIR for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...  I was at Adobe MAX this year and spoke to someone on the AIR team. They told me that they are working on it.  Be patient.

I also have an Apple TV Dev Kit ..  I'm also disappointed that I wont have any apps available on Monday when the official Apple TV is released. .. Just gotta be patient. It will come.

I don't think tvOS is anything close to the Smart TV situation. tvOS is going to be huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the support for AppleTV is really a good indicator of if Adobe still is serious about supporting Adobe Air for iOS. There is no question that AppleTV will be Apple's next successful echo system beside iPhone and iPad, and it should be a relatively easy update for you.

To not be able to support this platform will be a big show stopper, and the longer we have to wait for information about IF you will support it, the more of us will have to switch to a solution that does, like Unity. And I really want to continue using Adobe Air.

/Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like appleTV will play iOS games but iOS won't play appleTV games.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines