• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe AIR support beyond 2020

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an official statement about Adobe AIR being supported beyond 2020, or is it also reaching its end of life then?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash Plugin for browsers is what ends at the start of 2021. AIR continues to get frequent updates, and Adobe Animate continues to add features. I'm not sure if there are any public statements about AIR and Animate not being affected by the removal of browser plugins, but as they're not related to each other they may not think to make such an announcement. AIR has never run inside a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.. we have an application created using adobe flex. This application is really big with 300 pages written using MXML, AS3, and Java. We run this application on the browser. Since flex is sunsetting,we need to think of other technologies... is there any documentation to move from flex(browser-based) to Adobe air? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the announcement of FP EOL in 2020, the project manager for AIR did the following post:

Let me start by saying that today's announcement was not about AIR, and instead focuses entirely on Flash Player and the browser plugin environment. Adobe remains committed to AIR and we believe it continues to be a great desktop and mobile development platform.

So although it is a bit vogue and general, you cant take it that AIR will live after 2020. However, it looks like AIR is in a sunseting mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Important to note: that less than clear comment about AIR was TWO years ago.  You can find the post and it will show October 2018--but that's simply the date the moderator locked the thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let me quote that again, apparently some toxic people can not read

Adobe remains committed to AIR and we believe it continues to be a great desktop and mobile development platform.

it is official, it is from Adobe, it is very clear

despite this very clear official statement, some people kept and keep commenting how it is "unclear"
and I guess that's why the other thread got locked

the Flash EOL announcement been officially posted on Adobe's blog the 25th July 2017

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog

it was also posted on Adobe twitter account
Adobe on Twitter: "We'll stop updating & distributing Flash Player by the end of 2020. More about ou...

and the very same day Adobe officially commented

There will be no impact to AIR runtime or SDK. ^Karen

Adobe on Twitter: "There will be no impact to AIR runtime or SDK. ^Karen… "

those are the official comments from Adobe and those are perfectly clear

enjoy building Adobe AIR apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following this criteria Unity was dead wrong for abandoning Flash in 2013 after Adobe made it VERY CLEAR it will continue to commit to Flash ....

I guess the real difference is how seriously we take Adobe commitment ... I take it for what it has always been historically which is, a JOKE. You take it for what it has never ever been historically which is, a real commitment (and in this case I should add a 2 years old commitment .... ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm digging up this old post because, as everybody knows, Adobe has eventually sold AIR to HARMAN (source here: https://theblog.adobe.com/the-future-of-adobe-air/ ) and HARMAN is now providing new paid versions of AIR (more here: https://airsdk.harman.com/ ), e.g., their  AIR 33.1 SDK requires a subscription to be used commercially.

I'm not much into law myself, and I haven't seen the agreement Adobe has signed with HARMAN.

So, I'm wondering: are we still allowed (from a legal perspective) to use the Adobe AIR 32 SDK for free, commercially?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines