• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Break apart a symbol?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image I hand drew of 3 lines of text (created in Photoshop).

I want to break apart the lines of text in this image. I thought I could duplicate it and then jsut erase certain parts to have 3 layers with one line on each, but the eraser tool isn't working.

What should I do?

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

The eraser tool only works on vectors. Assuming you've imported the Photoshop image as a bitmap, you'll have to put an instance of the bitmap on the stage and then break it apart, which will turn it into a vector rectangle with a bitmap fill.

The eraser tool would be the worst choice for what you're doing anyway. Using the selection tool to chop it into rectangular pieces would yield far more clean results.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eraser tool only works on vectors. Assuming you've imported the Photoshop image as a bitmap, you'll have to put an instance of the bitmap on the stage and then break it apart, which will turn it into a vector rectangle with a bitmap fill.

The eraser tool would be the worst choice for what you're doing anyway. Using the selection tool to chop it into rectangular pieces would yield far more clean results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the selection tool on the bitmap layer, it selects the whole thing. How do you chop it up into pieces?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you do the break apart the whole bitmap will select at once, just showing the outline as highlighted. Once you have broken apart you should be able to select sections of it.

But, make sure you're using the Selection Tool, and not the Subselection Tool. First is selected by typing V, second is by typing A. The Subselection Tool will also select the whole thing, even after doing a break apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. However, I still don't understand how I actually separate the object.

When I click on the bitmap with the selection (V) tool, I get a blue outline around the whole thing. What do I do from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind! I've got it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines