• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush Size Shortcut? Surely there's a better way of doing this?

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fast way of resizing the brush in Adobe Animate/Flash? In Photoshop, for example, you hold alt + right button and drag, or you can right click anywhere and slide the slider that pops up. In Toon Boom Harmony you just hold O and drag left/right, and in Autodesk Sketchbook you hold the brush on a bit of ui and slide left/right. The only shortcut I've found in Animate is pressing '[' and ']' which make the brush size bigger/smaller in 1 pixel increments. Since often you want to change from, say, a 10 pixel brush to a 50 pixel brush, you would have to press the ']' button 40 times, which...isn't really a shortcut? Gonna say that's actually a longcut maybe? Does anyone have a better way of doing this? Seems like a pretty basic thing to want to do!

Help would be appreciated, before I wear out the ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] on my keyboard 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming from the Photoshop side of things, Shift + [ or ] modifies the size by 10x    In my case the up/down keyboard arrows increments a brush size by 1, pressing the Shift key jumps it by increments of 10. I'm not sure how Animate does things, but hold down the Shift key while pressing the square brackets should make your brush size change quicker.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

hold down the Shift key while pressing the square brackets should make your brush size change quicker

In Adobe Animate holding shift and pressing ']' still just increments it by 1, so sadly that doesn't help at all 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also a slider option: Brush tool in Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, thanks, I'm aware of that, but I'm looking for a shortcut, like in photoshop, toon boom harmony, autodesk sketchbook and so on. I'm drawing on a cintiq 13, which means I don't have space on the screen for the (enormous) property palette, so whenever I need to change brush size (which happens a lot) I have to either toggle over to the other display (super fiddly on the wacom), slide the slider and toggle back again, which is pretty rubbish, or I press the ridiculous '[' shortcuts. Since tons of other painting software, including adobe software, has shortcuts where you can hold a button and slide the cursor to resize the brush, or other faster ways of doing it, I was hoping Adobe Animate also had a way of doing that. Sounds like it doesn't though 😞 Maybe that should be a feature request....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I thought Animate being an Adobe product would have consistency in keyboard shortcuts and modifier keys. So aside from calling Customer Care, I can't offer anything else.

Contact Customer Care  or on Twiiter: @AdobeCare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all your shortcut needs.

Adobe Animate CC keyboard shortcuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks nick, but that shortcut list doesn't even include the [ ] brush size shortcut that is already in there, let alone a better shortcut! Obviously that's Adobe's fault, not yours though 🙂

I'm beginning to think there isn't a way of doing this, in which case it would be a feature request, although imho it's pretty insane that after over 20 years of development this software still doesn't have a good way of changing the brush size, seems like a relatively basic thing for an animator to want 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Completely agree! I can't believe there isn't better shortcut management!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines