• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canvas executes movieclip frame actions in reverse?

LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the Animate change that makes single-frame movieclip code only execute once was bad, but this is so bad I'm half-convinced I must be hallucinating it.

Okay, in an HTML5 Canvas document, say you have a movieclip with 5 frames, and on each frame there's "console.log(1);", then "console.log(2);" etc up to "5"  and a "this.stop(); "on the fifth frame. Oh and there's like a red ball or something to make it visible.

Now put this movieclip on the root timeline. Say, 10 frames long. Drop an F7 blank keyframe on the last frame so when the main timeline loops the movieclip will be removed from and re-added to the display list.

Finally, run it and open the browser's developer console. This is what you'll see:

...over and over for as long as you let it run. Every time the movieclip is re-added to the display list, something in CreateJS is apparently rewinding the movieclip to its first frame and for some insane reason executing every frame action along the way. So the 4, 3, 2, 1 appears all at once, then the 2, 3, 4, 5 trickles out one frame at a time.

This is of course absolutely bonkers, and is guaranteed to mess up any multiframe movieclip that's expecting its frame code to execute in a particular order.

Anyone know how to work around this? I've tried some contortions with this.gotoAndStop(0) and this.actionsEnabled = true/false, but so far nothing was worked quite right.

TOPICS
Code , Product issue , Timeline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.  honestly, that has me laughing.

ok. i have to go upstairs and confirm that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i added to your setup and used console.log("m1"), console.log("m2"), ..., console.log("m10"); to the 10 main timeline frames, resp.

and things go well except whenever the main timeline goes from its 10th to its 1st frame.

m1
m2
m3
m4
m5
m6
m7
m8
m9
m10
m1
m2
m3
m4
m5
m6
m7
m8
m9
m10
m1
m2
m3

also, there's a graphic glitch when the main timeline goes from its 10th to its 1st frame.  everything on-stage in the 5 frame movieclip disappears for ~1/fps seconds during which those unpaired (with the main timeline) movieclip console.log's are displayed.  ie, the code executes in reverse order, but the movieclip timeline doesn't display.

looks like a bug report to me..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I blame the always confusing autoReset property. If you set its value on the circle to false, it should work as expected.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JoãoCésar 

that's a strange way to reset by "playing the timeline backwards 1+ times"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the CreateJS source, all the autoReset property does is trigger a call to the private _reset method when a clip is added to the stage, and all that does is this:

p._reset = function() {
	this._rawPosition = -1;
	this._t = this.currentFrame = 0;
	this.paused = false;
};

Beyond that, I don't know, maybe there's something magic about setting _rawPosition to -1 that triggers the backwards frame actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you ever figure this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a CreateJS movieclip internal method called runActions that calls all the frame actions within a span of frames. Since movieclip timelines can run in both forward and reverse (not in Animate, but when coding directly in CreateJS), it will happily iterate from a higher to a lower frame number... which is exactly the state that exists when resetting a movieclip. The gotoAndPlay/Stop methods pass some additional arguments to prevent this behavior, but the auto-reset method does not.

So it does appear this is an actual bug in CreateJS. What I'm mostly wondering now is how did nobody else notice this in the last four years? It absolutely breaks any movieclips that have code distributed across multiple frames (and that are dynamically added/removed from the stage).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines