• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distributing animation via e-mail - howto?

Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and good morning!

I'm working on an animation that we want to distribute via e-mail. To be specific, it's an animated Christmas card. How can we make sure that the animation plays in the users preferred e-mail program?

To be more precise: the animation will contain some mouse over effects.

I have access to web servers if the solution would include hosting the animation externally. It can also be a hybrid solution (example: in-mail animated gif and the link to the web site...).

What are my options?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

you can place a link (in the email) to point to a canvas/html5 animation on your server. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JavaScript won't work in most email programs.

Export to animated GIF or export PNG sequences and then create animated APNG with APNG Assembler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced that an animated GIF did also not work in Outlook (?2010). So APNG will probably not work neither.

Also: there is some interaction, mouse over action, so I suppose that APNG is not suitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can place a link (in the email) to point to a canvas/html5 animation on your server. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I fear that this is the only possibility. But at least, I would like to have some animation in my e-mail. But I fear that this will not work, even not with gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2/3 of email users use browser gmail which support animated GIF and PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines