Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Earthlink CGI script and Flash

Apr 11, 2007 Apr 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a contact form in Flash and the script can't find the URL at Earthlink. I've talked to EL and they said use the EL CGI html code and incorporate in the Flash script. I tried a multitude of ways and get constant syntax errors. My code has no errors but can't find the URL. I've attached my code and Earthlink's sample code. Can someone show me where to put what?
Thanks for any and all help.

Earthlink's code:
<h1>Sample Form</h1>
<hr>
<form method="post" action=" http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/mailto"> 
<input type="hidden" name="RECIPIENT" value="user@domain.com"> 
<input type="hidden" name="THANKURL" value=" http://www.domain.com/thankyou.html"> 
<p> 
<b>Name:</b><input type="text" name="name" size="30"><br> 
<b>Email:</b><input type="text" name="email" size="30"><p> 
<b>Comments:</b><br> 
<textarea name="comments" rows="10" cols="50"></textarea>
<p> 
<input type="submit" value="Send"> 
<input type="reset" value="Clear"> 
</form> 
<p>

My Flash Code:
stop();

send_btn.onRelease = function() {
var my_lv:LoadVars = new LoadVars();

my_lv.firstName = firstName_txt.text;
my_lv.lastName = lastName_txt.text;
my_lv.email = email_txt.text;
my_lv.phone = phone_txt.text;

if (firstName_txt.text != "" && lastName_txt.text != "" && email_txt.text != "" && comments_txt.text != "")
{
my_lv.send(" http://www.domain.us/cgi-bin/mailto:me@domain.us","_blank","POST");
gotoAndStop("success");
}
else
{
gotoAndStop("error");
}
}
TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 113 Replies 113
Apr 24, 2007 Apr 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'll do it in the (my) AM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2007 Apr 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and we hit 100. you got the honor!

if all else fails, you can restart with the FormMail script from matt's website. it could be that you hit a key while the cursor was somewhere other than the start of FormMail.pl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2007 Apr 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought we had 20-30 to go. If I had known we were that close, I'd have made up something!

Good news, you must have read my mind. I started from scratch this AM with the cgi script and Wham-Bam!!! Up and running. Don't feel as though you're through just yet.

I have to change the email info and transfer this over to the clients site, arrrrgh!

And, when the sender sends an email, a pop-up confirmation page shows what that person sent. The client doesn't want that. So, I sent an email to the FormMail people and asked them the settings to turn it off. Got an email back saying that by default there is not any pop-up page. They want me to send them the link to the page and my cgi settings.

So, for all intents and purposes, we might reach the 200 mark!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to prevent the pop-up page, use the sendAndLoad(), instead of send, method of the loadvars class:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just boggles my mind how much you know. Thanks again. I'll let you know how the transfer goes, if you're interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome, again.

and yes, let me know. you'll have to make some FormMail changes to allow another user from another domain use it so that should be an adventure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, cut me some slack! 🙂 I'm old, too. Anyway, what would life be without a few adventures.

I changed all the address info in both scripts, posted it, checked permissions and sent the form from their site. NO ERROR messages! I also sent a regular email asking for confimation that they received the form mail. Haven't heard back yet. Hopefully, he's just out of the office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can add your email address so both of you receive emails, while you're in the testing phase. i always do that when setting up a client's site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must think I'm a real gluttin for punishment! I'll wait to hear from him. I couldn't stand another ERROR message. If they didn't get it, I'll bite the bullet.

Ahhh....just in case, where do I do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in lv.recipients (in flash) and @recipients (in FormMail) you can list email addresses separated by a comma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A resounding SUCCESS!!!! Now, I can die in peace. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol. you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2007 Apr 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
One last thing before this thread is officially closed. You should write a Flash support document on how to set up a form and configure it. Assuming there are a lot of people out there that are as stupid as I am. The layman examples and discriptions you provided were so much clearer than the official Flash help documents. When you replaced some of the Flash jargon with what it actually meant in layman terms it helped enormously. You have these "record" 6 pages as a great start. I know you could probably boil it all down to 2-3 paragraphs and save yourself 2-3 weeks of carple(?) tunnel syndrome explaining it over and over again. It was a fun adventure, though! DB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines