• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EMPTY SYMBOLS PROBLEM (CORRPUTED FLASH FILE)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on an animation for a project and then my computer decided to shut off and update. When I opened my fla back up, it was corrupted and it said an error occured while trying to open it. What's even worse is the RECOVER file was corrupted too! So I tried to do the winrar trick and it opened up, but now literally all of the symbols are gone. And to rub more salt in the wound, I had over 200 symbols and other stuff in it since I was up all night animating all for nothing. So I'm stuck here, everything is lost and I am feeling all of the negative emotions. There is an swf of the original file before it got corrupted, but idk how am I gonna work with that since all of the symbols were named and when I turned the swf into an fla, it was totally botched. So I just don't know what to do at this point, if anyone knows what to do, please let me know.

TOPICS
Error , Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Animate 2022 and I have a 64 bit windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you put the FLA online somewhere for me to try something? Prefereably the copy before you tried WinRAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the original one before the winrar thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to get an FLA that had a library full of symbols, but most of those were empty. Not much shows up in the timeline.

Big chunks of the file are filled with zeros, the file naturebitch.wav in particular. It's 4:10 long, but everything after 2:30 is zeros. I'm guessing the receovery file may have similar problems, but I could look at it too, if you still have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but alas symbols are empty again.

For what it's worth, I have seen cases where Windows updates have harmed other files, not Animate ones. Still don't know why that should happen, but I think that it's more of a Windows issue than an Animate one.

One tip, check out wetransfer.com. You can transfer up to 2 GB of files without having to sign up or login. There is an option to email the link, or get the link directly. The entire page is an advert, but there is only one download button. The sharing site you used has a lot of download buttons for other products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point the only thing you can do, is learn to make backups and save versions as you progress to avoid such disasters happening to you in the future.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i learned that right after

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortunately.

I tried to open the recovery file, but it is also corrupted as was expected. The WinRar repair rarely gives any meaningful results, and is not something to rely upon.

You can try to decompile the SWF. This may allow you to salvage a few symbols or shapes, and also use it as an underlay if you decide to repeat the whole project.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i eventually restored to using an swf decompiler to salvage the stuff i needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to know! Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which one did you use? The ones I've used in the past haven't worked for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines