• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lingo to actionscript dictionary?

Participant ,
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eight to ten years ago, I created a number of animations and tutorials using Director. I now want to convert them to Flash, Is there something like a Lingo to Actionscript dictionary that will speed the conversion?...something like an English/Spanish dictionary?

Thanks

Mark

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need a dictionary, you have us!

Seriously, although you may sometimes find a direct way to show the ActionScript syntax for a Lingo command or function, often the way the feature is done in Flash would be quite different. You could I suppose stay in Director and convert your Lingo to Javascript, until it works, and then converting the Javascript version to ActionScript would be a smaller step, but still you would have to go through how Flash does things differently to Director.

Can you give some examples of Lingo that you would want to translate, so I can give you a feel for how it would be different in Flash?

Meanwhile, here's an article comparing the two languages:

http://www.director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=967

(the site seems to be down right this second)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in your position and I'm going to second what Colin said.

I've been coding lingo for close to 12 years and I'm now completing my third major project converting from Director to Flash/AS3 (with a Flash original in between) and it's only just starting to feel comfortable. I still have to look up nearly every property but then I do that for lingo to. Budget lots of time and be prepared to be surprised. There are things that are mindlessly simple in Director/Lingo that are difficult/impossible in AS3 (if you use Buddy API you're gonna have to rethink tight integration with the OS, no Xtras to integrate just about every known file format, etc...), on the other hand grabbing external web assets (like XML files, db connectivity, etc...) and AS3 starts to come into its own. And unfortunately, when pitching online projects to clients you can mention Flash and see smiles or talk about Shockwave and just get puzzled looks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2009 May 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to both Colin and Mr. Applied CD (a very modern name indeed).

You've answered my question,,,that there's no straight-forward Lingo to Actionscript dictionary. The article referenced by Colin was very helpful in getting me started. I also appreciate the offer of help. I'm going to immerse myself in Flash and Actionscript next week, and I'll post questions as they come up.

Thanks again

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines