Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need an Event Reference

May 01, 2009 May 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actionscript 3 - now that it uses event listeners, you need to know which event objects are available and which constants are available within those objects.

I have looked through the (incredibly dense) online help for Flash CS4 and cannot find a comprehensive list of event objects and constants.

Can anyone point me to a reference so I can find the events I need?

Thank you!!

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you think is missing from the list in the help documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying.

First, I couldn't find the list despite repeated searches. Found a lot of AIR and Flex stuff though! 🙂

But to answer your question more seriously, now that I have the list, I'm looking for an "ON CHANGE" or "ON SELECT"  type event for a combobox component. I went through the flash.events list and still can't find some of the basic events I'd expect for components. How do you trigger an event handler when the user changes the checked state of a Checkbox, for example? How to check the value of a text field as each character (ON KEY event in other languages) is typed?

Any help appreciated, I have a huge amount of forum validation ahead of me in CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This lists all of the event types:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/flash/events/package-detail.html

Click on any that you're interested in, and then in the document that comes up look at the Constants list. For example, here's the MouseEvent one:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/flash/events/MouseEvent.html#constantSummary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2009 May 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Thyat's one of the lists I need, though I'm still trying to figure out some component events like comobobox and checkbox CHANGE, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check the help files under the component name/events.  all the events for that component will be listed.

and, in general, all the events for any class will be listed under the class name/events.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I'm beginning to locate this stuff, including the hidden

"inherited" events.

Much easier when you know where to look!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for Help on ComboBox will take you here perhaps:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/fl/controls/ComboBox.html

and as kglad says, the Change event is listed in the Events section. If you go to the CheckBox help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/fl/controls/CheckBox.html

you won't see the information on Change. Look about a third of the way down though, and you'll see a link "Show inherited events". Click on that, and all of the events that the items in the CheckBox have access to then show up, including the one for Change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines