Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NY Times Word Cloud Portrait?

Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for a little insight into this app. If you don't know what it is check it out - here's an image it generates:

http://admin.inc.com/2013/03/18/how-to-be-best-in-show-at-sxsw/cloud4975/

I have a customer looking to do the same thing. I could easily fake it - by taking an image with a bunch of words laid out, and then using a hi-con of the face to mask out the words. But that will cut off letters and such... and that's not ideal. So looking for insight into a nesting / fitting algorithm to do this. Anyone know who developed this app for NY Times?

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "classic" example could be somehow bended to your needs.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118a9b90204-7eee.html

I would look into how this algorithm converts shades of grey to ascii-signs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing ASCII art is easy, and nothing like what I am looking to do. Thanks anyway though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... full year ago I was initially researching this. Originally this was intended for a client, but it never got traction so I stopped working on it. Have been revisiting it though, as it's an interesting problem and have made good progress. Still not 100% where I want it to be, but here's a sample image from just today.brandon.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So have been doing more work on this to make it work as an actual tag cloud portrait generator. Before, as in the image above, I simply found rectangles and then picked words that would fit the space. To make it right I had to find rects that matched the word size. Right now I'm using a service that provides Twitter hashtags along with usage counts and I use the counts to figure out font sizes. Anyway, made this test image just now - only problem I'm having now is that it's taking about 20sec to produce. I'd like to improve that for sure.

obama.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines