• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pencil Tool Issues

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've just had some pencil tool issues that have been plaguing me for a while and I was wondering if anyone had a solution.

The first issue I have are these line jitters I get when I use the pencil tool, specifically after rotating the canvas or if I work inside of a symbol that has been rotated:

Screenshot 2023-07-17 115710.png

(They can get much worse than this too)

The second issue is after drawing a line with the pencil tool, often times it gets slightly offset. It's a bit subtle, but at times can get progressively worse and frustrating:

Animation2.gif

(Ignore how the pencil graphic freezes in places, just a recording glitch)

Lastly, is there a way to change the graphic of the pencil tool when drawing with it? Like how the brush tool's graphic looks like a crosshair.

I work on a Mobile Studio 13 and use version 23.0.01 of Animate.

Appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I don't have solutions for these but I can suggest a few workarounds:

1. First, instead of the Pencil Yool (Shift+Y),  use the PaintBrush tool (Y) with a basic line style. The PaintBrush is more accurate and has better smoothing.
  2. The offset can be caused by two things: Having a Camera on stage or having Windows Screen Scaling enabled with a value other than 100%. Remove the Camera while drawing, disable Screen Scaling or both.
  3. Lastly no, sadly there is no way of changing the pencil icon.

Please consider making a bug report for these issues from this link: 

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions! The Paintbrush tool doesn't seem to have the jitter problem, thanks for the reccomendation. Is there a way to get realtime rendering for this brush? Instead of this:

Screenshot 2023-07-17 151308.png

I've messed around with the screen scaling before and it never seems to make a difference for me. And deleting the camera didn't change anything either unfortunately.

Appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right the tool doesn't update live but the preview should be good enough for basic strokes. The pencil tool technically updates live yes, but once you release the button is never accurate so personally I never use it.

About the offset issue make sure the scaling is set to 100% on all your monitors if you're using a multiple screen setup, any other value will mess things up; try making the Wacom screen the main one as well. Also double check that Windows Ink is enabled both in Animate and your Wacom Tablet. In Animate, you can find the option in Edit > Preferences > Edit Preferences...> Drawing.

Mario_CR_0-1689625586132.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My other monitor also has scaling at 100%, but I've even had this issue without any other monitors connected. And windows ink is on in both of places you mentioned. The Paintbrush tool seems to be working okay though, although it doesn't seem to make a big difference whether smoothing is at 0 or 100. It tends to smooth out any subtle curve. And ink mode can get pretty jittery.
Animation3.gif

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concerning.

Like I mentioned earlier, please consider making a bug report about these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Thanks for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like, just for the test: switch to WinTab and your Wacom - the only display.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, that doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird. I tried it and I got the same results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines