• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline Zoom/Resize: Hotkey / Shortcut / Mouse Control ?

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was hoping to have some hotkey / mouse wheel control of the timeline zoom / size, such as Alt + Mousewheel. From what I can tell there is no native functionality for this apart from the slider above the timeline.

Please tell me there is another way to resize the timeline!

Thanks 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Urgh, I know.. and feel your pain!! They need to program the bracket keys to increase and decrease the timeline, make the spacebar stop and play the timeline, and perhaps even add J, K, L to rewind, stop, and play!

But unless the new update has that, which I don't believe it is (no mention on list of updates) I don't think its possible.
For now we can recommend it!

sorry!
mark

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Urgh, I know.. and feel your pain!! They need to program the bracket keys to increase and decrease the timeline, make the spacebar stop and play the timeline, and perhaps even add J, K, L to rewind, stop, and play!

But unless the new update has that, which I don't believe it is (no mention on list of updates) I don't think its possible.
For now we can recommend it!

sorry!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tossed my request into the 'Wishform Well'. Hopefully someone reads those! XD 

Really, I see no reason why the timeline shouldn't have the same controls as Premiere or After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree! Its all the same company, they have the resources to the programmers, there is no reason to not keep it all consistent as possible. Lately Adobe is spending time on trying to simplify the apps, offer in-app teaching resources, etc. How easy it would be if I can teach someone Premiere, and the amazing shortcut keys "J,K,L" to navigate the timeline, and "+" and "-" to zoom in and out, the "\" key to fit everything in the timeline.. and let them know that it also works in After Effects, Animate, and Character Animator! It would make it much easier to jump into another timeline-based app!

Character Animator does follow suit (Aside from J,K,L). After Effects needs to add J,K,L, and Animate should add all of the above! Just like Command T should be Transform across all apps! KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)!

Hopefully they listen to your request! I will mention it as well!

Thanks! Stay safe! Cheers!
Mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain too, right now.

What makes it a little easier: Position the cursor over the timeline zoom control, for example over the drag button.

Alt + mousewheel zooms the timeline in and out.

Is there a link to your wish list post?

Then I will support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general I edit using two monitors. I've also found this need to search for the resize timeline slider to be a pain. Have submitted a feature request for a hotkey. Meanwhile my work around is to float the timeline and put it on its own second monitor. I can see all timeline controls, make frames larger, including using the preview option, and still have all my stage space on my prime monitor. I can't say I've done this long enough to say there are no problems working this way. But I only thought of it 10 minutes ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

does your usage of the slider show in the history panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines