• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashed while saving, file corrupt, 9 days of work lost

Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know it's lost forever. It's a common story I've heard before, and although I would try anything to get it back, I'm not holding my breath.

My real question, is how do the professionals avoid this? Should I stop clicking save and start clicking save as, along with a long version number? Is there an extension or program or windows setting that makes recovery past a bad save possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

I have a different approach to kglad. Which isn't to say his way is wrong, but my way has some convenience to it, in that most of it is done for me.

I have Time Machine running (I expect there's a Windows version of that). With that I have hourly backups for the last day, and daily backups for the previous month. I have rarely had to do this, but when I get a file corrupted I just look back in time to find the newest backup that doesn't have the problem. Most times that is a version that is less

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. to prevent that, each save should have a different name.  eg, if i have a project called farm_aid, i save as farm_aid_v000.fla, farm_aid_v001.fla, farm_aid_v002 etc.

i created a jsfl file, added it to my commands directory and created a shortcut, so after naming the first save as farm_aid.fla, the _vxyz is automatically appended when using my shortcut (ctrl-shift-s, in my case).   (if you're interested, i'll supply that jsfl file and walk you through the steps to use it.)

also, save often.  a typical project for me will have several hundred versions.  i periodically delete the oldest ones and only save the last 10 or 20 in case i need to return to an older version.

also, all my code is in class files and i've never had one get corrupted.  if i'm about to make a major change in a class file and i don't want to risk losing the older class file, i'll save it as ClassNameBU.as so i have a backup.

2. you may be able to salvage, at least, some part of your work by renaming the corrupt fla as a rar file and using winrar to 'repair' it.  then rename the repaired rar to a fla and try opening in animate cc.  i've never had that work for me, but it's worth a try.

but even if when that fails, you can usually unrar your renamed fla and salvage, at least, some of your work.  again, it's worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a different approach to kglad. Which isn't to say his way is wrong, but my way has some convenience to it, in that most of it is done for me.

I have Time Machine running (I expect there's a Windows version of that). With that I have hourly backups for the last day, and daily backups for the previous month. I have rarely had to do this, but when I get a file corrupted I just look back in time to find the newest backup that doesn't have the problem. Most times that is a version that is less than an hour old.

On top of that I will save a copy of the file to some other place, but instead of making my work file change name all the time, I just change the name of the backup file. Like, if I'm working on MyGame.fla, I will be working on that named file perhaps for a few months. The occasional backups would have names like MyGame_1_1_17.fla.

Overall there is no real difference, both approaches give you a set of different named files of older versions, but by keeping the working file with the same name I don't have to remember to set the publishing settings to a fixed name. It's very easy to forget that, and find yourself with yet another app-descriptor XML file being created.

Something you should know about the auto recovery save feature. It used to be that when you save a file the previous recovery file was deleted before the save is done. A while ago that was changed, and now the recovery file is deleted after the save has succeeded. So, if you're using a recent version of Flash Pro or Animate you should be able to use the recovery file if there is a crash while saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you give me the step by step idiots guide to recovering from recovery file? Because normally it opens automatically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Normally you are asked if you want to open the first recovery file from the previous session after a crash, but I can imagine that not always working, especially if there was a crash during a save. So, just look in the same folder as the main FLA, for a file that is named RECOVER_whatever.fla. 'whatever' would really be the name of your FLA. If you see it there you can open the file, and after making sure it's in good condition you could do a Save As to get its name back to normal. I have had to do that before, and I would just do a Save As with the original name, to replace the suspect FLA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines