• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is my custom internal flash-based sprite tool dead?

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Flash for internal custom sprite creation tool

The sprite artwork for my educational software is all authored in flash. I have internal tools that export it to png sprite sheets.

I know that I can export to sprite sheets in other ways, but mine does a number of things that I need that others do not -- renders the blur filters (which canvas fla's do not), saves the nested sprites along with transform matrices, slice-9, etc. so that I have complex sprites that are actually composed of a number of transformed sprites that animate together -- just like Flash.

I also have an Air app written with an old copy of Flash Builder (aka Flex) to extract the sprites from the swfs and assembly the atlases.

Now that Flash is being shut down, is my asset library and my workflow doomed?

Swf files are not part of my end product. I don't have flash on my website. I just need flash as an internal tool.

Should I keep a computer with flash on it disconnected from the Internet so I don't lose Flash? Should I dig out an old CD with a pre-cloud copy of Flash?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flash player is no longer supported by adobe.

the software creation tool (that used to be called flash and was renamed to animate years ago) is still supported and being developed by adobe.

if you have an old(er) software creation version (whether animate or flash) it will continue to work on any computer on which it's currently installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!  Seems I'm OK for now.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines