• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does a user need to have installed to play an AS3 game?

May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I made an AS3 game in Flash, then distributed it to friends, with the a note that they'll need the flash player installed to play it.

Turns out only the people who had Flash installed (the whole program) could play it.

I later tried to run it on a pc which had the flash player and the shockwave player installed, but that didn't work either.

What am I missing? BTW, this was all done with CS3.

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009
Muzak, interesting, I'll give that a try, but shouldn't having a flash player installed enable the OS to recognize it?

Nope, because the Flash Player is a browser plugin, so if they'd throw the swf in a browser window, it would display.

So you could pass along an html file with the swf, but that's just cumbersome. swf's are not really meant for distribution and/or for use on the desktop, that's what standalon projectors (exe) and now AIR are for.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you only need a minimum flash player version e.g. FP 9.0 or higers, is this game somewhere on-line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought, but no, I tried it on my daughter's pc with just the flash player & it would not work.

No, it's not online. I actually would like to put it on my website, but first I have to have a clear understanding of what it needs to run.

Thanks for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, are you using file dependencies, external assets, fonts? Are you

publishing your project as a .swf, .html, .exe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Micheal, It actually uses 2 swfs, one .as, & 3 .mp3 files.

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

swf is not a recognized file type by the OS, unless you have Flash CS3/CS4 installed.

To make the game available to "anyone" make it into a projector file (standalone exe).

You can do so from the File -> Publish Settings (in the Flash IDE).

Another option is to make an AIR application instead of a a Flash swf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muzak, interesting, I'll give that a try, but shouldn't having a flash player installed enable the OS to recognize it?

Thank you for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, because the Flash Player is a browser plugin, so if they'd throw the swf in a browser window, it would display.

So you could pass along an html file with the swf, but that's just cumbersome. swf's are not really meant for distribution and/or for use on the desktop, that's what standalon projectors (exe) and now AIR are for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that would explain it. I wish I had known that 6 months ago (it was a Christmas game that I sent out).

I haven't had a chance to try this out yet, but it sounds logical & you sound like you know what you're talking about so I'm gonna mark this answered. If I have any problems I'll post again.

Thanks for your help Muzak. BTW, what is this "AIR".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR allows you to create Flash/Flex/AJAX desktop applications.

You can learn more about it here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/

A good example is the Adobe Media Player:

http://www.adobe.com/products/mediaplayer/

Or the Tour de Flex application:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/

If you have CS4 you may already have the Adobe Media Player installed and the Extension Manager that comes with CS4 is also an AIR application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might sound silly, but did you publish as a .swf? Or are you trying to run the .fla?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calvintennant, yes, I published as a swf (with the other files mentioned above).

Thank you for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines