Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Hi mate,

Plain and simple: Flash / Animate cannot Classic / Motion tween small rotations over longer spans of frames.

This has been a known issue for decades.

In your case you have 0° to -3.5° spanned over 50 frames.

If you use classic tween instead and convert all frames to keyframes you can check the rotation values for each frame and it all will become quite obvious.

You can try manually setting values such as -0.1° or -0.2° and you'll see that they get rounded to zero.

Flash just can't do this k

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the rotation is very jerky but only lasts about 1 second. How many frames is the animation for the rotation? What is your frame rate set to?

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24 frame rate. the baloon goes down smoothly, but when i add rotation - it becames jerky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I just can't get that video to play. It shows a static screen, then a loading animation and then nothing. Sometimes if you have a little rotation over several frames, the motion can seem jerky. This asset being a bitmap may also be the reason for the jerkiness. Have you tried adding some easing to the tween span? Did you use Classic Tween or Motion Tween?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both classic and motion. And it is with easing. It is for about 50 frames in each side

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to share the actual FLA? I may need to take a look at the timeline itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure- appresiate help - https://yadi.sk/d/67K3cCiZvHzrVA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

replaced bitmap with vector rectangle - the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. You are not doing anything wrong. I have duplicated this using your bitmap asset. I then edited the asset in Photoshop by cropping out the transparent background as much as possible to make the image smaller. It still is jerky. I tried no easing, and a custom ease as well. Still jerky. I tried 30 fps but it's only slightly better. I then drew a vector rectangle roughly the same size and rotated it the same way across the same number of frames - it was also jerky. I also tried selecting the tween span and in Properties panel deselecting "Snap" and "Scale". Still jerky. I'm going to log this with the engineering team to see if it is truly a bug. I would think it should be smoother since doing the same type of animation in say After Effects yields smoother results. I know they are different applications but this is too visually a flaw in my eyes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks... so there`s nothing I can do... cancel rotation for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this looks like a banner ad, I am assuming you can't change the frame rate. But if you can, try going from 24 to 30fps. And then try and play with the number of frames between keyframes in the tween span. I would suggest fewer frames perhaps. But yeah, unfortunately for some reason, AnCC is producing a motion that suggests some sort of snapping is turned on but I think it's something that the engineering team needs to look into. I'm going to play around more with it and if I solve it I will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. its for video, not banner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - I think I found a way - I rotated the asset more than what you had and it looks much smoother. I think there's some kind of delicate balance between frame rate, number of frames and the distance an asset is rotated when it comes to how smooth the animation will be.

Download my FLA
JerkyTween.fla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, maybe have the asset start on the first frame rotated to the left more instead of no angle. That may also add more rotation thereby making it smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t achieve a satisfactory result anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Your bitmaps are very large in both dimensions and file size.

Also you're using a very short rotation.

If you change this you're gonna probably see a performance improvement.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Plain and simple: Flash / Animate cannot Classic / Motion tween small rotations over longer spans of frames.

This has been a known issue for decades.

In your case you have 0° to -3.5° spanned over 50 frames.

If you use classic tween instead and convert all frames to keyframes you can check the rotation values for each frame and it all will become quite obvious.

You can try manually setting values such as -0.1° or -0.2° and you'll see that they get rounded to zero.

Flash just can't do this kind of thing.

It has nothing to do with your frame rate or the size of bitmaps as the ACPs have suggested. Even if you had just a vector rectangle you would face the same problem.

The problem is mathematical and how Flash rounds and calculates rotations. -3.5° over 50 frames just does not give it enogh increments to work with and that is why you end up with a jerky movement that is literally one step every 6 frames or so.

This smooth rotation just cannot be done with a Classic or Motion tween.

Now here is what you CAN do: You break apart the bitmap and then Shape Tween it inside your container.

Shape Tweens don't have this problem and everything works as smoothly as you need it.

Here is your fixed file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aNKS6FSYldy-aIxek9-_a7qekxvf5Vj7/view?usp=sharing

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Very good answer!

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! thanks a lot! you are a magician!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're most welcome, mate!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Break apart and shape tween a bitmap? What kind of witchcraft is this? Great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines