• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BC and Dreamweaver 2015

Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there must be a thread on here about the BC and Dreamweaver thing. I am just getting into DW coming from Muse and I really like the Bootstrap integration. I was looking into the way to get a DW site to BC and found out it ain't so simple anymore and they are not supporting it. So am I to understand they do not want you to use DW for BC? What do the want us to do use BC to make the site? I have looked at their module thing and do not like it and that is why I went with Muse.  I thought maybe in the future I would get better and use DW like I am now. WTF??? SO I have to learn how to edit in BC now and not use Muse or DW? What's the real deal here? I like what BC offers but do not want to develop there.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Muse up to a level works well with BC. Think of that as the lower end but nice. IT offers what other more graphics based site builders can not in terms of easier hosting stage.

By default it supports only the very basic lowest BC plan for a few reasons.

DW - Yeah, support for that built in has been removed and that is a shame but you can still get the plugin separately I believe as it used to be for a while. I use Coda 2 myself and love that, very impressed with Atom for PC.

Swift - not the same as

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the plugin to fetch the modules etc that is not built in any more thats all.

DW like other coding software is a platform, it has SFTP connection ability and you can use that or anything else be it Atom, Sublime Text or what ever you want.

All you need to do is connect to BC in DW as a new project with your SFTP details in.

Use the doc reference for modules and tags:

Developer reference

Build as you want to 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused. I know when I used Muse you couldn't shall I say cross pollinate . The BC platform, from what I read so I never tried, shouldn't be used if you wanted to manipulate in Muse and vice versa which I guess is my real question. When I develop in DW then migrate to BC do I then have to use BC from then on out? I mean I thought DW and Muse worked the same. When you made changes it reflected in BC with that very easy upload only changed files. When the client changes something it was reflected in Muse I guess that won't be the case here. I am thinking Muse may be next and BC will be stand alone which is a shame. I was just getting comfortable enough in Muse to make the leap to DW. I thought this was the whole reason they really developed Muse. It helped to get people interested and then it would suck them in and start using there other products. At least that is what it did for me. I now use AI, PS, Bridge, Edge Animate and learning DW with a real interest to continue on.  I loved the ease of use for someone like me who didn't know Mark up and Javascript so well. I am getting off track here though! Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse and DW are not the same.
Muse is a click and place design like tool that renders HTML code (not the best code either) and talks to BC on the very basic level to produce websites in BC (only the basic stuff) And does not really touch the layouts, modules and features BC is rich with.
DW is a coding platform, it is NOT just for BC, neither is Muse for that matter. You can code a wordpress site in Dreamweaver if you wish for example. DW is a coding platform, to do html, css, javascript and more like PHP.

BC is not a peace of software, it is a CMS - Content management system to develop websites on, like Wordpress but differs in many ways but the same goal.

The idea is you develop and create your BC site with templates, layouts, content holders, modules and more and the client can through BC manage their content and manage their website, use the eCommerce to add products, make sales, manage their orders and more.

The Problem with Muse is it does not teach you any of the coding skills you actually need, none of the UX, none of the web stuff that you actually need to know... SEO and A LOT more that makes people like myself work hard to do what we do and keep up to date with all the new stuff. CSS3, HTML5... jQuery.... Javascript..... All that stuff just for the front end alone, in terms of new BC stuff you have template languages like Liquid markup.

To build the best sites and complex sites and to use BC to its fullest you need to code. DW is not an upgraded Muse and do more without code, stepping beyond Muse is into the real web industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I guess that answered my question, thank you. Thing is that you are missing is the sales pitch that Adobe used when I decided to sign up. There was a whole push about the integration with Muse,DW and BC. I obviously do not know how to code or why would I even be talking about this. I understand that the code produced by Muse is not the best and anything I want to do gets more cumbersome by the day. This is why I moved to DW. (next step in mark up) I like that tool as well and it is helping me to get a better understanding of mark up and maybe one day from there I will move on to real coding in Swift. I think the confusion here comes from Adobe themselves and there sales pitch. I realize what CMS is and the need for BC but at the same time for a newb like me I feel swindled. I understand this is entirely my fault. Thanks for the reply with lots of great points but I have to differ on the opinion that DreamWeaver is nothing more then an upgrade from Muse.  To me it really is. In Muse you can get a taste of javascript and some mark up with iframes and from that point it is to difficult to do much more so your next step is really DW. I think the step after that is just marking up the whole site in an editor like Brackets. Obviously I am new and my opinions change daily! Take them with a grain of salt which I am sure you already do! Thanks again for your time and have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse up to a level works well with BC. Think of that as the lower end but nice. IT offers what other more graphics based site builders can not in terms of easier hosting stage.

By default it supports only the very basic lowest BC plan for a few reasons.

DW - Yeah, support for that built in has been removed and that is a shame but you can still get the plugin separately I believe as it used to be for a while. I use Coda 2 myself and love that, very impressed with Atom for PC.

Swift - not the same as web coding but if your looking to build apps - cool - Swift is quite nicely done.

BC is currently in a bit of a transition, they tried the integration with Creative Cloud but I think a lot of the Creative Cloud user base are more the creative side rather then the developer side... That is Adobe's fault, that other side can be sexy and done right... But Adobe as a whole has not really done that side very well... It is not easy but I think they could do a better job myself... Adobe Max they do not really cover any development side that well.. ITs all about the creative and that is because it is more "sexy" but Adobe could do better in the development space for sure.

BC moving away for that is good, with more work on the system BC can target agencies as I feel it should always have been, not target the lower end so much but be the photoshop of the web, the CMS / online platform that agencies turn to to make amazing, gorgeous functional websites that do well for their clients and increase their business, not just have a website.

With what you said about Muse:

Iframes - Instantly there iframes is the thing you want to avoid in your websites, we way passed that, only use for that is the social likes from facebook etc to load their content but you should never use it in your builds.

Muse and javascript... Its not even the right javascript and learning it you should not use Muse as your base It wont teach you the right way to do it / use it.

Stick with DW at first as it has nice view options and layouts etc for beginners in terms of code and while I like Brackets I think you want to look at ATOM from github, it has grown up VERY fast and I been impressed with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the reply. Exactly the information I have been looking for. So just to clarify should I build my site in DW and then send to BC? Should I take the time to build the whole site in BC and forgo DW? What is the proper or best work flow in your opinion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌interestingly enough we used to use adobe products for just about everything.

BUT these days we only really use adobe for our Contnet Management System.  Business Catalyst is awesome. It's the hidden gem that it know know how to use it youve got an edge.

MUSE is a great toy for knocking out a basic site. But it's all it'll ever be. Not wortg spending the time to learn.

DREAMWEAVER - who uses that any more. They're much better and lighter apps around that are so much cheaper and better.

PHOTOSHOP - uh oh even Adobes flagship product in the industry is in danger of losing out to the likes of vector programs like SKETCH. Yes it's true we've made the switch at Pretty

to answer your question : get yourself a good dev program. Liam Dilley can point you in the right direction here. Obviously you've got some progress still to make. Then code up sections of your website and implement directly into BC. again. others can probably advise further exactly on best processes.

brett@prettydigital.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brett,  At first I was a big believer in the subscription system. Pro Tools has taken the same approach as well. I like the fact that a newb like me can get in at such a cheap price with all the material out there to help me learn. I like the integration of everything. What you mention has been in the back of my mind as of late. I have been plugging away at learning these things but I can take what I learn and move on to what ever i need. As for the cloud and integration with the mobile apps, I mean thats nice but easily achievable with drop box. Maybe not as smooth or automatic but still easy. So it really comes down to is it worth the 50 some odd bucks to me and right now it is. I think, for now, I will take this path I have set and learn as much as I can. I would like to hear Liam's thought on this because I would imagine I will be wanting to get out of this sooner rather than later. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong with Creative Cloud.. It is awesome.

It is how you choose to use it and what you use in it.

You can design still in photoshop, most designers out there still do, nothing wrong with that.. Some of the industry are turning to things like Sketch - Correct. But it is just Adobe need to step back a bit on some of their bigger apps and re-done a little better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.Do you use BC? Do you develop the whole site there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I ask is because i really like DW at this point and want to get further into it. I feel it is helping me to get a better understanding of HTML and CSS. I am getting more and more interested in Javascript as well. I feel Javascript has some similarities to Swift which is my end goal.So a means to an end I guess. Thanks for all the replies and insight.  Always nice to hear others views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We of course build the site in BC and we build them from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do you incorporate the BC modules? The extension available in older versions of DW allowed you to add and edit modules within DW. My concern is I need to use the BC modules so my customers can continue to interface with them but build and edit in DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines