Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't connect to BC site via dreamweaver CC 2014

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly I can't connect to any of my  BC sites in Dreamweaver CC 2014

I get the error:  "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found."

On the web, I can successfully login to the BC site back end with my credentials at mysite.businesscatalyst.com

I tried the following:

1. Disabled the Firewall and tried logging in through DW. Did not help.

2. Booted into Safe Mode with networking. Did not help.

3. In Dreamweaver Site Manager, Site Setup for MySite, password box is blank. I can enter it manually and click "test" and it connects fine.

4. When I exit site manager and try to connect from the Files tab and the little plug icon, it does not work.

5. It forgets the password and it comes up blank in re-opening the Site Manager.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Hi guys,

I've just investigated this issue (from BC point of view) and I think I've figured out what your problem may be - you have several sites defined in DW and some of them (the ones having the connection issue) do not belong to the current Adobe Id user that is logged in DW.

The new CC authentication system is synced between your installed CC apps. For any operation that requires authentication, the current authenticated CC account credentials are being used - this is also why DW site's SFTP

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue. .. and i get no support from these ppl at adobe... always the run around in twitter... dreamweaver CC does not save the password to connect to ftp

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having same issue and no one seems to own this - BC says it is Adobe CC and visa versa... more often than not when I reboot Windows I have also lost all my passwords in site manager within dreamweaver...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 8th of Oct. still no answer here? I am having the same issue. Seems Dreamweaver CC cannot remember passwords.? I tried resetting it and connecting several times and then was locked out of BC for too many failed connection attempts. Makes Dreamweaver CC useless to edit my Business Catalyst site until this is fixed.

Hrrrrgh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've just investigated this issue (from BC point of view) and I think I've figured out what your problem may be - you have several sites defined in DW and some of them (the ones having the connection issue) do not belong to the current Adobe Id user that is logged in DW.

The new CC authentication system is synced between your installed CC apps. For any operation that requires authentication, the current authenticated CC account credentials are being used - this is also why DW site's SFTP connection info doe not store the password anymore.

The work-around for this issue is to be logged in to DW with an Adobe Id user that is also stored in SFTP credentials settings of the DW (BC) site that you want to work on.

There are two approaches for this:

1. Change the current CC account that is signed in DW :

- sign out from DW (from the Help menu)

- sign in with the Adobe Id that is the creator (Partner) of the site

- restart DW (this is also important!)

2. Add the current Adobe Id account as Admin user to the BC site(s):

- add the current Adobe Id account that you use in DW and other CC apps as Administrator user to the BC site (go to site Admin, Site Settings->Admin Users)

- in DW, edit the site's SFTP connection settings (from Files panel, double-click on the dropdown displaying the site name; then select Servers, edit the listed server and just replace the [myadobeId]@adobe.com value from Username field with the email of current CC account that is signed in DW; you will have something like: [myBCsite].worldsecuresystems.com/[myNewadobeId]@adobe.com/dw )

- save the settings (ignore the password)

I hope this helps.

Ionut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep imoician, that is the same conclusion I came to when I ran into this issue back in 2013. Unfortunately, the 2 solutions that you have provided are not always possible.

1) One may not have access to the login credentials of the Partner under whose account the site exists

2) One may not have the ability to add oneself as an Admin user

This situation is a prime example of Adobe's blind stupidity in developing products and "moving forward" with no regard for what actually works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I rolled back to CS4 to make my life easier. So stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke,

Usually, in this kind of situation you should be able to contact the site's Partner and ask him to the required changes (I'm thinking of 2nd approach - to add the user to the site).

If you are not able to work with the site's Partner for whatever reason, you could submit a ticket to the BC Support department in order to change the Partner of the site (to a different user). This option is also now available from site Admin, but it of course requires Admin rights and also current Partner's accept (by email).

Hope this helps,
Ionut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imoician,

Yes, asking the site's Partner to make the changes and getting the site moved to my Partner Portal are options but both are really just hack workarounds for an issue that shouldn't exist.

I work for a number of clients whose sites are under other Partner Portals and for whatever reason (I don't enquire) are unhappy with their Partner on some level and prefer me to do perform certain tasks. I don't feel it's my place to suggest they transfer from their existing Partner (I'm not into stealing other Partner's clients), but if they want me to do certain jobs I don't see a problem with that.

Ultimately, the issue is this: in order to FTP into a BC website with Dreamweaver you must now have an Adobe ID and the ID must relate to that website. Adobe have given no thought to the wide range of use cases for the integration of Dreamweaver and BC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue now. I don't understand here what to do. It's just me on the BC side and the DW side so how could this be so. I use the same credentials for both. Please help I am trying to get my first paid site up and can't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Just to confirm, what is the error message you're receiving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I figured it out Luke. Sorry I had posted already what the error was on a couple other threads and I wasn't thinking but this thread gave me the answer. You have to SIGN out of the Creative Cloud app on your Desktop and then CLOSE DW. I think this should be in the Docs because obviously I am not the first person this has stumped. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I can still cut. This isn't obvious and I didn't even think of it because one is not thinking in terms of signing in and out when you use this software. It has something to do with how many machines are allowed to run CC at a time I think because when I signed back in it gave a pop up that I never saw before about how many machines I have CC running on. I have a single account not a business one so this may not affect them. Thanks for your interest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback on this issue, we updated the docs and put a note in there to display this resolution.

Cheers,

Cristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is very awesome of you. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines