• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why doesn't the breadcrumbs module work properly

Engaged ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably a pretty simple answer.

So I added the breadcumbs module to one of my sites templates for better user navigation. But it only like half works, if you click on the home link that will take you to the home page. Which works well if you only go one page deep into the site. But if you select a catalog then go the product large view, the breadcrumbs will only show (home -- largeview) with the home link being the only one you can click on. When it should be (home -- catalog -- largview) and the home and catalog would be links to the approprate pages.

Here is my code for adding the breadcrumbs module into the template...

<div class="home-link"><a href="/">Home &raquo;</a> </div>

<div class="breadcrumbs"> {module_breadcrumbs, &raquo;}<br />

</div>

If anyone could tell me where i made the mistake or a work around for this problem that would be awesome... Thank you so much...

TOPICS
Content management and modules

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

You should be able to get away with just one for ecommerce. Use the breadcrumb tags that Liam mentioned to add your catalogs and products to the breadcrumbs. Anything before those catalog should be hard coded in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

You need to set your site structure up.

Under the Site settings go to site map.

In there you need to drag and drop those file elements to organise them as you need to. The breadcrumbs module when then start to work correctly based on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the webpages in the order I want on the site map, but I cant find where you make the changes for the catalogs. My problem is that when you are in a catalog or even a sub catalog the bread crumbs should read (home -- catalog -- subcatalog -- product)  but insetead its (home -- product)... Thank you for pointing me in the right direction...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it that currently because the catalogs/product pages are generated dynamically that they dont properly display the breadcumbs on the page. And is that something that BC has to fix internally for breadcrumbs to display properly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In those templates use the shopping breadcrumbs {tag_cataloguebreadcrumbs} (overall layout for eCommerce)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only workaround is to manually create partial breadcrumbs in the template that you are showing your products. Example on the template its self manually create the Home breadcrumb, then add the tag for the catalog then add the breadcrumbs like you normally do. But in short, part of the breadcrumb needs to be created manually in the t emplate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I would have to have seperate templates for the catalogs, products and web pages... And use those tags to build up the breadcrumbs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to get away with just one for ecommerce. Use the breadcrumb tags that Liam mentioned to add your catalogs and products to the breadcrumbs. Anything before those catalog should be hard coded in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old but...

I came across a particularly sticky problem regarding breadcrumbs this week.

as you are probably aware there is 2 breadcrumbs the ecommerce and the pages breadcrumbs.

a few problems with this.

1. ecommerce breadcrumbs doesnt work on webpages

2. webpage breadcrumbs doesnt work on ecommerce (and unlinked and only the last level is not enough to classify as "working")

3. webapps dont display either correctly (or at all!).

I had to document the process to comeup with a successful breadcrumbs that works across the whole site now.

it may be specific to my needs, but if anyone gets any use out of it, please do...

http://www.phreaddee.com.au/BCsnippets/breadcrumbs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, what about dynamic rendered pages like detail pages for WebApps. Those Should render: Homepage > Listpage > Detailpage. Now its only Detailpage.

The whole breadcrumb module actually seems useless, if its not able to reflect the dynamic hierarchy of a website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2013 Dec 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same question. How do you get breadcrumbs to appear on web app pages? How do you arrange them in the sitemap when they don't appear there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines