• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 4.4 bug with new X-Trans handling algorithms

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4.4 bug with new X-Trans handling algorithms. It looks like the blue channel is clipping in some instances, severely distorting handling of highlights. Here's an example:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/pos...

RAW (RAF) file available here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37346336/1275...

On page five of the thread someone more or less figured out what the issue is (related to camera calibration defaults):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thr...

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013
No, this is a separate problem that will be addressed in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013
Correct, the phenomenon being described here is unrelated to X-Trans.

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don' t know as this is a bug with X-Trans, I think it is just a problem with the Adobe Standard profile for many cameras. This photo happens to be with an X-Trans camera is all.
Here is a oversaturated-blue example with a Nikon D7000: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thr...

Of course with Nikon cameras, Adobe supplied so-called Camera-match profiles to better mimic the camera-JPG response. The Fuji cameras have no such extra attention given.

For the night street-scene photo, the "page five" solution only works on it because there isn't much other legit blue in the photo, otherwise that blue would be very desaturated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If camera calibration is suspected, why not make your own camera profile? The shipped profiles are made with a small subset of all the possible responses a model can have, and sometimes a specific body can be at the other end of that bell-curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Steve, I don't think it's limited to just Fuji X-Trans cameras. I've seen it happen on a few cameras, including Canons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, the phenomenon being described here is unrelated to X-Trans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is Adobe working on fix that will be in full 4.4 release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is Adobe working on fix that will be in full 4.4 release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is a separate problem that will be addressed in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It being an unrelated problem that'll be fixed is comforting.

Can anyone shed some light on what this other problem actually is, and an interim way of resolving it without having to do extensive per-photo colour manipulation? Is there a general all-purpose preset for the X-E1 that can resolve it?

Needless to say this is a significant issue for any RAW work, especially with a lot of my recent photos being night photos with lots of blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...an interim way of resolving it without having to do extensive per-photo colour manipulation?"

How about not blowing the raw channels? Since you are shooting at high ISO, this is easy - just use a lower ISO and some negative exposure compensation of the same amount. For example, if you want to shoot at ISO 1600 EC=0, shoot at ISO 800 EC=-1 or ISO 400 EC=-2 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to give up trying to work around this issue because numerous experiments with Lightroom settings hasn't helped. Lee Jay's suggestion may work for future photos, but that's no help for the dozens of photos I've already got and I don't particularly fancy using awkward shooting settings to resolve something no other RAW processor is having difficulty with.

An additional curiosity which I assume is related to this: reducing the black level *even by a tiny amount* causes the image to become covered in bold blue:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37346336/ligh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "bright blue" is the black-clipping indicator color that you have turned on using the little triangle at the left of the histogram. Click the triangle, again, to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ah, very good. Must have caught that by accident, good to know.

One thing I will note is that I was able to minimise this problem by pulling the saturation of all channels down in camera calibration to -25, then pushing the overall saturation of the photo up by the same amount or a little more. Not sure why that helps, but it does.

The problem is that there's an underlying colour balance issue that can't be fixed so easily. Bold tones that should be purple or magenta are coming out blue, and bold tones that should be aqua are coming out blue. I've fiddled with the hues of the camera calibration but can't find something that gets it all right like the camera's JPEGs do.

Votes

Translate

Translate