• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw & DNG: Sony RX100 raw + low res JPEG shots are misidentified as being cropped

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be a bug in ACR7.2 and Lightroom 4.2RC:

When importing RAW shots made with a Sony RX100, in the RAW+JPEG mode, when the JPEG part was set to less than 20Mpixel, Lightroom 4.2RC will misidentify the files as being cropped and will show a crop box centered on the image, even though both the raw and the JPEG did use the full size image. This happens regardless of the used aspect ration, i.e. the crop is not because of the use of a non-native aspect ratio.

Other reports of the same issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/47039...
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1067177
http://forums.adobe.com/message/46788...

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
18 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll fix this, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not just be Sony. I've just had a report of Canon 5dMk2 doing the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should not affect 5D II images. The default user crop mechanism was only introduced recently and only affects cameras newly supported in ACR 7.2 / LR 4.2, not models like the 5D II which were originally supported in 2008.

Perhaps you meant 5D III?

Also, the issue should be fixed for the Sony case in the final version of ACR 7.2 / LR 4.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the RX100 is working fine in LR 4.2 (aside from other bugs I filed 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmmm, I'm waiting to get hold of some files but here's the applicable thread: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showth... Perhaps it's a different issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the user wrote that he/she is using a 5D III, and in that case, yes, Lr/ACR is respecting the in-camera crop (aspect ratio) setting but does not have a built-in way to recover the full recorded raw image. That ability was newly added in ACR 7.2/LR 4.2 for newly-supported models only (e.g., Sony RX100, among others), whereas the 5D III support was added in earlier versions of ACR/LR. As you correctly noted in that thread, that's where DNG Recover Edges can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake, thanks Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2012 Oct 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, if you read to the end of that thread that Victoria linked to, you'll see that there is an apparent inconsistency in relation to the "Add Cropping Information" custom function setting, i.e. when this option is selected LR is actually cropping Raw files, whereas it doesn't crop Jpeg files (that's when shooting Raw+Jpeg, I haven't checked when shooting Raw or Jpeg only).

EDIT: I now have checked, shooting Raw only results in a cropped file, shooting Jpeg only results in an uncropped file.

Furthermore, the 7D has a very similar custom function.....but when selected neither Raw or Jpeg files are cropped by Lightroom.

That seems to me like Lightroom is not handling files shot with that setting consistently (my expectations were that it wouldn't crop anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is handled on a per-model basis. Respecting the in-camera crop setting was specifically added to the 5D III when we added support for that model. It was not added for the 7D (an older model). What you are seeing is expected behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. So taking the 7D out of the picture and talking only about the 5D3, why is a Jpeg treated differently to a Raw? Is that also the expected behaviour, as it doesn't feel quite right to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not expected that a JPEG would be treated differently than a raw. However, it is the case that JPEGs are pre-cropped by the camera, whereas raw files are not. ACR/LR should be looking at the in-camera setting for the aspect ratio (I believe available in the Custom Settings for the 5D III) and cropping the raw file to respect that chosen aspect ratio (thereby matching the JPEG, if you're shooting raw+jpeg). Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, yes that does make sense.....except for the fact that the JPEGs are NOT pre-cropped. Here's an extract from the 5DIII user guide in relation to the C.Fn3 menu item "Add Cropping Information":

The intention then seems to be to allow DPP to recognise the "cropping information" and do the cropping, but it is not done in camera. So the net affect is that Lightroom is recognising that cropping information with respect to the RAW file, and cropping accordingly, but isn't doing it for the associated JPEG. Hence my original point that the RAW and JPEG appear differently....one cropped, the other not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not my experience. In my testing, I shot several images with the 5D III in raw + jpeg mode, and the jpeg images are indeed pre-cropped. For example, a "large" JPEG shot in 1:1 aspect ratio mode has 3840 x 3840 pixels.

Are you getting different results in your testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm afraid so. See this screenshot, hope you can make out the relevant details.

I'll try to do some further testing, maybe there's a setting combination which triggers this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me the raw+jpeg pairs? madmanchan2000@yahoo.com (yousendit.com, dropbox, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,
I have found that someone was having the same problem as me after finding this link:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/10953...

Basically I stupidly set my Canon 5D MK3 to 'add cropping information' to the display to highlight an 8x10 so I could use this as a guide as we had to shoot in this aspect ratio for a class assignment. When I try to import into Lightroom (and Photoshop for that matter) both applications do not recognise the original image as a whole and crop to an 8x10, hence I lose some of the information at the top/bottom of the image (even though I can see this in the RAW .CR2 file itself). I have added the plug called 'DNG Recover Edges' into Lightroom but this only works on a DNG (obviously) and even when I convert the .CR2 file into DNG I lose this information 😞 I am desperate to get this back as I recently went to Brazil and some of photos have been cropped which means I sometimes lose the tops of peoples heads even though I can see the whole image cleary as a RAW .CR2 file.

Does Lightroom 5 or Photoshop CC fix this? (I am using Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5 at the moment...

PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you can't get the "Recover Edges" plug-in to work, then the quickest way out of the problem is to open the images into DPP (where the images aren't cropped), then save them as Tiffs which you can import back into Lightroom.

I'll have a look at the Recover Edges plug-in when I get some time to see if I can figure out why it isn't working for you.

The same problem will exist in Lightroom 5, I believe.

Votes

Translate

Translate