• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Imported DNG files from a Google Pixel 7 Phone do not have Adobe Raw Profiles

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dng files I import from a Pixel 7 phone do not have the Adobe Raw profiles available, they only have the profiles that JPGs have. This has started happening since the latest Google update in December 2023, and appears to occur on all Lightroom platforms, Classic, Lightroom, Lightroom Mobile for Android etc.  Previously Lightroom was able to handle DNG files from my Pixel phone  with these profiles available. 

Can anyone throw any light on this? Is it a Lightroom problem or a Google issue?

Thanks for any help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

This was missed over the holiday. A bug was logged, but the thread wasn't updated. 

The next release will have an update to accommodate Google's EXIF Lens name change. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
54 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably on to the root cause. So if you do not use that in camera option, does the resulting RAW file behave in LrC?

You may have found an actual bug in LrC. Mind you I am sure Adobe will not see it as a bug but as a need for a modification to LrC and probably Adobe Camera RAW to be placed into updates. As such, this may be better asked for as an Idea.

/update/ the example also fails in Adobe Camera RAW, same result for Profile.

Ok, so Adobe will not see this as a bug, they will see this as a new feature in a smartphone that needs to be addressed within the Adobe products, so an Idea, a Request for Change.

Assuming not using that HDR option in Phone gives an image that behaves in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your example, in Library Module, looking at the metadata, have you noticed the field called software?

9.png

I have been trying to assist another member with LrC issues involving a Google Pixel 6. Member has an issue with profiles. this is a link to that discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/adobe-ligtroom-no-longer-recognizes-goo...

Looks like Google added a in Smartphone option for HDR. Looks like Adobe LrC and Adobe Camera RAW as well (yes I know they are separate issues) have a problem with DNG files that the Google Pixel creates using it's processor where a HDR is saved.

You may want to turn that option off and see if a new photo behaves.

Perhaps this:

https://blog.research.google/2021/04/hdr-with-bracketing-on-pixel-phones.html?m=1,

Looks like a Request for Change, an Idea is called for

( I was in fact searching for an existing Idea, and came across your posting as a result)

Comments?

P.S. you may want to undo that mark as correct, to your reply that is currently shown as the solution. Others looking for this issue may not find it as it is listed as solved, when it is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was searching the community to see if an existing IDEA has been posted, so far no such luck. But I did stumble upon the following related discussion. Different Pixel, but similar issue.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/p-imported-dng-files-from-a-google-pixel-7-pho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same with Pixel 6 after Google Camera update Google Camera 9.2.13.585804376.14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the conversation - I have exactly the same problem with the new Google Pixel 8.
Discovered this thread trying to figure out the problem. I recently upgraded from a Google Pixel 5 where I had no issues assigning built-in LrC profiles such as Adobe Color, Adobe Landscape, and so on. I did this for more natural colours as the Google Pixel profile (with the pixel 5 at least) rendered very garish and unnatural tones.

Google updated the camera app around the same time I changed phones so I do not have and DNG RAW files taken on the Pixel 8 using the older camera app version.

I tried toggling off the Ultra HDR and Display P3 settings in the camera app but this made no difference.
Following this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I commented earlier having the same issue with Google Pixel 8 - Adobe RAW profiles unavailable for DNG RAW images taken on the phone.
Have since updated LrC to Lightroom Classic version: 13.1 [ 202312111226-41a494e8 ] and the issue is now fixed for me.

(I'm on Mac (M1 Pro) if that makes a difference)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sure seems like a "bug" to me, as "bug" is defined by Adobe -- LR and Camera Raw aren't operating as the product developers intended. The Pixel cameras are all listed as supported cameras:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Google

and part of being "supported" means the availability of the Adobe Standard profile and profiles based on that (Adobe Color, Landscape, Portrait, and Vivid) .

I called this thread out for consideration as an acknowledged bug to Adobe employee Rikk Flohr last month:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/p-imported-dng-files-from-a-google-pixel-7-pho...

but there hasn't been any update in status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was missed over the holiday. A bug was logged, but the thread wasn't updated. 

The next release will have an update to accommodate Google's EXIF Lens name change. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the interest of clarity, does this mean that the "Adobe Color" profile will become available for the Pixel 7a line of phones? That is my understanding from the thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In the interest of clarity, does this mean that the "Adobe Color" profile will become available for the Pixel 7a line of phones? That is my understanding from the thread"

Yes, Adobe Color, Adobe Landscape, Adobe Portrait, Adobe Standard, and Adobe Vivid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a fix? Facing this exact issue on my pixel 5 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the pinned reply at the top of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The February 2024 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for being so patient.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no fix for Google Pixel 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just completed this update, and there is still no support for the Pixel 7a. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@colind66897557, "I have just completed this update, and there is still no support for the Pixel 7a."

I just tested some sample Pixel 7a DNGs, and my LR 13.2 / Mac OS shows the Adobe profiles.  Upload a problem DNG to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here, and we can if the issue occurs in other LR installations or is specific to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vilmantasr, "Still no fix for Google Pixel 6."

I just tested a sample Pixel 6 Pro DNGs, and my LR 13.2 / Mac OS shows the Adobe profiles. But I can't find any sample Pixel 6 DNGs to download. 

Upload a problem DNG to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here, and we can if the issue occurs in other LR installations or is specific to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Pixel 6 main camera sample, latest Andrid updates and camera app: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nTj7ZfUSYKXA9N3KIv22eTXnzDpBAFoy/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography

LR 13.2 didn't fix this problem for at least some DNGs from the Google Pixel 6 Back Camera. With the sample DNG provided above, I also observe that the Adobe profiles are not displayed in the Profile menu, in both LR 13.2 and Camera Raw 16.2.

That photo was taken with camera software "HDR+ 1.0.585804401zd". My test catalog has two sample photos taken with a Pixel 7 Back and Front using the same software version, and LR correctly displays the Adobe profiles for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis  This bug was explicitly written against the Google Pixel 7. I would not have expected this to affect any issue with Pixel 6. If there are ongoing issues with the Pixel 6, they probably belong on a new thread with a fresh report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking this chance to post a link to a sample affected Pixel 7a file, metadata intact, as requested by @johnrellis. Thank you very much for your assistance in this. I appreciate the help and time with troubleshooting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, a sample Google Pixel 7a DNG was just provided having the same problem. Do you want me to add that to the bug report for the Pixel 6 or start a new bug report for the Pixel 7a?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis  Let's add it to the Pixel 6 report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate