Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW 15 causes large psd files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have noticed that after installing Camera Raw 15.1 with my PS 2023, the psd files that I usually save duing my work became 3-4 times larger in size, and the save time of psd files became very slow. Usually my files are around 100-150mb, but after they became 400-500mb. Originally I thought it had something to do with the PS version, but after doing several tests and trying different settings, I realized that downgrading to Camera Raw 14.5 was the solution for my issue. My psd files went back to the original smaller size and the save time of psd files became a lot faster.

Something that I wanted to bring up and see if anyone else experienced this issue.

I am currently using PS v 24.1.1 on macOS Ventura 13.2.1.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

In your workflow options (at the bottom of the GUI), do you have it set for 16-bit instead of 8-bit per color? That alone would double the size after rendering and what you end up with in Photoshop. 

Are you viewing the 'size' of the various documents in the Mac Finder or what PS reports (the latter isn't especially accurate). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw is currently on version 15.2. Do you see the issue after updating?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your workflow options (at the bottom of the GUI), do you have it set for 16-bit instead of 8-bit per color? That alone would double the size after rendering and what you end up with in Photoshop. 

Are you viewing the 'size' of the various documents in the Mac Finder or what PS reports (the latter isn't especially accurate). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I went ahead and updated to 15.2, and tried again, but ended up with the same result

BUT

after reading @TheDigitalDog's comment, I checked the bit mode and realized that my old files were indeed saved in 8 bit with camera raw 14.5, and camera raw 15.2 had 16 bit as the default setting. So after changing the setting in camera raw 15.2 to 8bit, it was saving files in smaller size again.

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines