• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon CR3 for CS6

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using PS CS6, with an "old" Canon camera with CR2. I have CS6 installed on a 2009 MAC (10.3 is the latest OS  I can go to); CS6 (PS and Bridge) opens and handles CR2 files. Recently acquired a new Canon camera with CR3. CS6 doesn't open/handle CR3 files (at least, my CS6 doesn't). Downloaded and installed Camera Raw 12.4 (followed the on-screen instructions). CS6 still won't handle CR3 files. Anyone have a solution for this, or am I missing something blindingly obvious? Malcolm

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what model of Canon?

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html
IF your camera is so new, it isn't listed here, nothing you can do for the time being. 
Every time Canon (or Nikon, or Sony etc) release a new cameras, they do this stupid trick of making yet a new proprietary raw file that everyone outside the company, including Adobe need access to so they can 'hack' the tiny differences to support that new proprietary raw. You the customer get to wait and are forced to use the manufacturers raw converter until this all takes place. It is silly but that's how it has been for decades. Some companines are faster to do this than others, but the facts are, every 3rd party raw converter manufacturer has to go through this silly dance. Complain about this to your camera company.

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thedigitaldog, thanks for replying. My camera is a Canon EOS 90D. See my reply to John Wallar, below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Camera Raw that works with CS6 is 9.1.1, so although you seem to have been able to install version 12.4, it won't work with CS6, which is most likely still using 9.1.1 (or older).

The workaround is to use the free Adobe DNG converter, which will convert (copies of) your CR3 files to DNG files, that can be opened in 9.1.1/CS6.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Read the instructions carefully. Pay particular attention to the fact that the DNG converter cannot convert individual files.

You have to point it to a folder, and all raw files in the folder will be converted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per, thanks for replying. My camera is a Canon EOS 90D. See my reply to John Waller, below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that CR2 (older) and CR3 (newer) are generic file extensions for Canon RAW files from nearly all Canon cameras.

Each and every camera model from every camera manufacturer has its own, unique Raw file format. So, the devil is in the details. We need to know which Canon camera model you have.

Adobe foresaw the unnecessary "dance" outlined by @TheDigitalDog in the post above where software vendors have to keep issuing updates for new camera models - and users have to keep updating their software. Adobe created the DNG file format for that very reason. If camera makers included DNG in their cameras, end users would not have a problem with file formats and being forced to wait for updates for their shiny new camera. However, most camera makers have not included the DNG option in their  cameras - they stick to RAW and JPG only.

Using the free Adobe DNG converter, you do have the option to convert all your CR3 files to DNG format and then open  the converted DNG files (not the CR3 files) in PS CS6.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/digital-negative.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, thanks for replying. My camera is a Canon EOS 90D. I've switched to the Adobe DNG Converter "work-around", as suggested. Only problem (a nuisance, really; not a real problem) is that I can't install the latest version of Adobe's DNG Converter on my "old" MAC (where CS6 is installed), so instead I've loaded it to my "new" MS laptop, and then just juggle the photos between the two machines. All sorted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by "10.3 is the latest OS I can go to."

2009 Mac models would have shipped with OS X 10.5 or 10.6 (released in August 2009) and would generally be upgradable to at least OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Even though El Cap is very much obsolete and unsupported by Apple, it would give you the best bet at software compatibility. OS X upgrades are free...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extreme apologies - it was a typo on my behalf. My 2009 MAC wonā€™t update beyond 10.13 (NOT 10.3).

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep probably time to think about a newer computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been using CS6 on a Windows Vista machine (that recently died) and for my newer cameras I started converting the RAW files to .DNG format using the Adobe DNG Converter. Took care of my problems. It was something I needed to do anyway in case my heirs ever want to look at the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adobe dng converter 12.4 should work on macOS 10.13 High Sierra and handle the Canon EOS 90D .cr3 files.

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dng/mac/DNGConverter_12_4.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, I'm afraid that I have to agree with Per Bernsten's post (see above). My MAC is updated to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, but it won't handle Adobe's DNG Converter 12.4 (I've downloaded it, installed it, followed the on-screen instructions, etc etc, to no avail). So, I'll stick with my work-around (latest DNG Converter on my MS laptop, then swap the files over to my MAC, for processing with CS6 - not a problem, really, but definitely a nuisance). As for a new MAC .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What happens when you try to to run the Adobe Dng Converter from /Applications/Adobe DNG Converter.app?

You installed the 12.4 dng converter from this link?

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dng/mac/DNGConverter_12_4.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines