• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG compatibility

Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When converting new Raw files for older versions of Lightroom and Camera Raw, I have to choose the DNG compatibility, e.g. Camera Raw 11.2 and later. 

I'd like to know if I'm missing some newer features by choosing an older version to be supported. Are there any drawbacks of choosing the oldest version to have maximum compatibility?

TOPICS
DNG Converter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Yes, you will be missing features.

If you set Compatibility to Camera Raw 7.1 to be able use Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom 4, you will miss any new features introduced in Camera Raw versions released after version 7.1.

So there will be no sliders for Dehaze or Texture for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Adobe provides backwards compatibility for the latest cameras for use in older versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, After Effects, and Photoshop Elements through the DNG Converter.

As I read this, if you're working with modern versions of the above, best to use the latest versions provided and if that becomes a problem with older software, you can convert to an older one.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, that is common sense, but it doesn't asnwer my question.

I'd like to know if I'm missing some newer features by choosing an older version to be supported. Are there any drawbacks of choosing the oldest version to have maximum compatibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no such “features” but compatibility with software that may. Use the latest version. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I choose the oldest version, the size of the DNG is half the size, so I want to know if I don't lose anything why shouldn't I choose that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really simple: Pick the newest reversion if you're using the latest versions of LR/ACR etc.

IF you had to go back to some older version, and there were an issue, you can re-convert to the older version to use that older software. The DNG is a container, a file format. It doesn't have 'features' per se. The software that accesses this data does, it could be a factor. 

You can (I have) opened TIFFs created by the 1990 Photoshop 1.0.7 in version of Photoshop from the 21st century.

I can't open a layered TIFF from the 21st century in the 1990 version 1.0.7 of Photoshop. I could save it such it could be read (no layers for one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the data is the same, why is the older version half the size of the newer version?

I'm using 12 bit compressed NEF to DNG Camera Raw 11.2 and later. The size is 16 MB. With Camera Raw 5.6 and later, the size is 8.6 MB. If "... and later" part means compatible with all future versions, that means I could save half the hard drive space.

Is there anything the newer version allows me to do that the older doesn't? I keep asking the same question because it seems I can't find a clear answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything the newer version allows me to do that the older doesn't? I keep asking the same question because it seems I can't find a clear answer.

By @Deleted User

Yes, and that answer was provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never mentioned why it would be a bad idea to go with the oldest version. Your 1990 TIFFs can still be opened today, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never mentioned why it would be a bad idea to go with the oldest version. Your 1990 TIFFs can still be opened today, right? 

By @Deleted User

I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it.

This again is really simple: Pick the newest reversion if you're using the latest versions of LR/ACR etc.

Use an older version and you can lose newer functionality (features) of the software that hosts the DNG as Per provided (the correct answer) in that respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find of the list of new functionalities per Camera Raw version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User wrote:

Where can I find of the list of new functionalities per Camera Raw version?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/camera-raw-amp-dng-converter-14-2-are-now-available/td-p/12736394

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, and what about older versions like 2.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Thanks, and what about older versions like 2.4?"

Search the forums based on the product(s); every time a new version is released, (such a post as provided earlier), for LR and ACR is posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you will be missing features.

If you set Compatibility to Camera Raw 7.1 to be able use Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom 4, you will miss any new features introduced in Camera Raw versions released after version 7.1.

So there will be no sliders for Dehaze or Texture for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version I have doesn't have Texture but it seems to keep Dehaze. I don't see a lot of a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When converting new Raw files for older versions of Lightroom and Camera Raw, I have to choose the DNG compatibility, e.g. Camera Raw 11.2 and later. 

If the data is the same, why is the older version half the size of the newer version?

I'm using 12 bit compressed NEF to DNG Camera Raw 11.2 and later. The size is 16 MB. With Camera Raw 5.6 and later, the size is 8.6 MB. If "... and later" part means compatible with all future versions, that means I could save half the hard drive space.

PS: I posted the same thread in Camera Raw, but I think I should have posted it in Lightroom. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines