• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Super Resolution breaks when Lightroom is also running... conflict?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the title says.  Opening image in Photoshop (RAW set to launch.)  When Lightroom is also open, there appears to be a graphics conflict, and lose the top Photoshop menu and must kill it in Task Manager.  Additional info: I occasionally see notices it's shutting down graphics acceleration.  But so far it all seems to be working properly when I close Lightroom first. Major workflow pain. But super resolution is great.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

That most likely means you have a "marginal" video card and/or driver. Update your driver.

Check for this in Lightroom preferences. This is what ACR uses for super resolution. Settings are separate in ACR and Lightroom, but if Lightroom GPU crashes, maybe it takes ACR with it:

LRGPU.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

No, I meant Lightroom GPU preferences. They are separate from ACR GPU preferences, they just look the same.

And if Lightroom tends to crash in the GPU driver, it's probably best to disable it there, until you can find a better driver version. Either way, this is still a buggy driver.

Initially I thought enhance/super resolution ran exclusively in the GPU, but that turns out to be wrong. It's just GPU-accelerated. It will work with GPU off, but it will be very much slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Camera Raw forum, from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That most likely means you have a "marginal" video card and/or driver. Update your driver.

Check for this in Lightroom preferences. This is what ACR uses for super resolution. Settings are separate in ACR and Lightroom, but if Lightroom GPU crashes, maybe it takes ACR with it:

LRGPU.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little more info. Crashes intermittently in Photoshop Camera RAW regardless whether LR is running. You mentioned LR graphic preferences, but I assume you meant Photoshop. The weird nature of this is that when it crashes it tells me it is disabling my GPU - but I've already disabled it anyhow. Then I kill the process in Task Mgr, rerun Photoshop, open the RAW and it Super Resolves and all is groovy.

I'll check for new driver and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I meant Lightroom GPU preferences. They are separate from ACR GPU preferences, they just look the same.

And if Lightroom tends to crash in the GPU driver, it's probably best to disable it there, until you can find a better driver version. Either way, this is still a buggy driver.

Initially I thought enhance/super resolution ran exclusively in the GPU, but that turns out to be wrong. It's just GPU-accelerated. It will work with GPU off, but it will be very much slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After doing some major work with performance, my problem has disappeared and all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines