• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Calibrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring the "Chart" tab from the DNG Profile Editor under the Camera Calibration tab. This Camera Calibrator software is wonderful. Who wouldn't want to use it once they saw how fast and easy it is to do? I was thrilled when I finally found it and put it to the test. Suddenly the whole Camera Calibration tab in CR came to life.

The code is already Adobe engineered, and tested, so implementing it shouldn't cost much. The extra value added is worth far more. I have many friends I want to share this jewel with, but they will be overwhelmed by the complete DNG Profile Editor tutorials. All they need is the camera calibrator to start their journey into better color control. Don't hide such gems!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please include camera calibrator in Photoshop. Do it and I buy doughnuts! - MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could really use this calibrator in Photoshop. I hope it gets done soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I (fully) understand this request. You want the DNG profile swatch tab in Lr somewhere?

So, for example, you would want to be able to create one or more DNG profiles based on a chart taken just before a shoot, and have those available to the Camera Calbration panel? Is that the gist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I want to provide easy access to once-per-camera custom calibration within Camera Raw and Lightroom. Once made, the profile could then be used as the default in the Camera Calibration panel. (Of course, once it's there, advanced users could use it just before important shoots as you suggest.)

DNG Profile Editor's chart tab does that now, but downloading a separate app and finding tutorial #5 before getting scared off is beyond many users. I was afraid I would mess something else up. It took me years to even find it was there!

But now that I've seen the difference it makes in correct color rendering, and how easy it is to actually build that profile yourself, I think it's a wonderful feature that Adobe could easily bring into the main programs for more users to enjoy. Who wouldn't like knowing that the colors rendered are the colors that *their* particular camera actually saw? It might even get more people interested in learning about color control, once they see how easy it is to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

This is what I'm looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you may have noticed, the DNG profile app is still in beta, so I imagine it will be a first class app at some point.

You'd still need the tutorial to get the colour checker stuff to work in order to make profile.

Note that you probably want to make profiles under various conditions, like Adobe does, to get your own custom selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

"You'd still need the tutorial to get the colour checker stuff to work in order to make profile."

That's the beauty of it! The "tutorial" is basically the same as the directions on the screenshot above, from the Profile Editor itself.

"Note that you probably want to make profiles under various conditions, like Adobe does, to get your own custom selection."

That's easy too. One broad purpose profile using two photos is plenty: one photo of the color checker chart shot under sunlight, and another under tungsten if you shoot indoors. If you shoot outdoors with natural lighting like me, one photo shot in sunlight is enough—select the "Both color tables" choice in the pull-down menu in step 3. The profile builder handles the rest. The important thing is to be sure the color checker chart is evenly lit when you shoot it. Jeff Schewe answered this same question here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872324

eswrite wrote:
1) If I use Tutorial 5, I am guessing I will have to create a profile for each lighting/WB condition, i.e., one for Tungsten, one for Fluorescent, one for sunny, one for overcast, one for flash, etc... Is that correct?

Jeff Schewe answered:
If you want a broad purpose DNG profile then yes, doing a dual illuminate profile is useful. Shoot a target under tungsten and under daylight and make the dual illuminate profile. There's no real reason you need to spawn off a bunch of other profiles for only slightly different light. The dual illuminate will handle cloudy or overcast just fine.

See what I mean? It's easy. It's been hidden away in a beta program in the labs called "DNG Profile Editor, Chart" with the only directions titled "Tutorial #5". Name the same code "Camera Calibrator" and put it in the main programs (ACR and LR) where we can all find it and many more people would use it to their benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If implementing the PROFILE EDITOR in CAMERA RAW is an "easy" way to translate colors to what the camera actually see, I'm all for it!
Please consider this request to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to have this feature. Please let me know as soon as you have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it would be useful for both Camera Raw in Photoshop/Bridge and for Lightroom. Not having to use an additional program would be more intuitive for a less computer aware user or one who doesn't read the various forums and hence might not be aware of the DNG Profile editor.

Leaving it as a separate application (bundled with the main program) that could be called from Camera Raw or LR, like the Xrite Passport software can be opened from LR, would be a less preferable option but better than the current situation.

Regards
Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad to hear the enthusiasm for the DNG Profile Editor and its core functionality. That said, it is likely to remain a separate application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This will be a useful product to my photography experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate