• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Display Focus Points

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon cameras stores the focus point that was in focus and the exposure was taken. This would be extremely valuable to see for a sports/action/wildlife photographer.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 175 Replies 175
175 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said in another thread that Adobe tests plugins. Wondering if you could point me to where it says that, or if you know off the top what kind of testing they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only seen it when uploading... - my guess is they just give it the "once over" - but I really don't know.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This request is related to the following one :

ability to tag a picture region

as a focus point is no more than a region of the photo.

so we would need lightroom to be able to automatically create such a region from the makernotes in the XMP. That way it become standardized (region tagging is now a standard and include among other : face tagging, focus point,...) and would become readable by other software as well.

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that you implement "view focal poin" in the next version of bridge and Camera RAW. A shortcut to turn it on and off. This will improve my first look and rating on new imported photos.
Take a look at Aperture, I just love their focal poin.
My first choise is the combination of Bridge, Camera RAW and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture One reportedly has a new feature where a green mask is overlaid where the picture is most in focus (thumbnails as well). As an action shooter (sports, airshows, etc) that would greatly help identify OOF shots for disposal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vote would go for the Capture One approach. A quick representation of the in-focus areas would rock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went ahead and issued a separate 'Idea' for a sharpness topography feature.

Although related, I see some important distinctions:

- Focus point display is more for learning - to try and understand the relationship between focus points used and what's actually in focus.
- Sharpness topography is more for culling - eliminating out-of-focus photos or choosing amongst a set of related photos...

Personally, I think these two features would complement each other very nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just being able to add a switchable overlay to the photo using the SDK would be a good step forward. Plugins could add whatever they wanted as a sidecar .PNG, for example. An additional 'decoration' icon would toggle each sidecar overlay.

Cheers,
Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea Jim, but might get lost in this thread - maybe a new 'Idea'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Idea ahoy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- got my vote ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm voting far more liberally now than I was at first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did. Looks like it's just you and me, kid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the feature that highlights the focus point in the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree. I would like to see information about what focus point was chosen when a shot was taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be useful, not as some have suggested to find out what is in focus, but I look at the focus points when the image is NOT in focus in the way that I expect. Its part of a kind of forensic exercise: after I work out what I was doing, "what did the camera think it was doing then?". I'm not a professional, or even very good, and this kind of post mortem helps me understand how I have or may have screwed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to view the focus point on my images. This is the ONLY thing I miss since I started using Lightroom instead of Nikon NX2. This is particularly valuable when using focus tracking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also like to see the focus points - of course not only of Nikon but also of Canon gear. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not display focus point for raw images making it difficult to determine why some pictures seem to be sharp and others not. It would be great if Lightroom could display focus point, with a display on/off toggle, for raw images.

As it stands now I launch Nikon ViewNX 2 to check focus/sharpness before importing to Lightroom 4. I will then delete directly out of ViewNX2. This is counter-intuitive to the Lightroom workflow and is frustrating.

This request has been in the queue since at least Lightroom 2 days so I would like to think it is getting close to implementation???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been revived interest in Capture One. Capture one has a wonderful feature that tells you what part of a picture is in focus. People are also saying that Capture One does a better job quality-wise with Nikon D800 RAW files. I will try it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried a lot Capture One in the past (few month last year), it is a very good software, especially for portrait/studio photographer, skin tones, A so good white balance tool too, tether...

On the over side Capture One does not work so well with Noise reduction and the Sharp tool is awful especially with low megapixel photo (< 25 Mp). I think that Capture One is more designed for medium format.

Capture One's interface is fluid, simple to use and to configure. It have a very personal workflow and no catalog tool. So with not a very strong organisation, a big mess comes very fast in your files.

I'm very exited to use the focus tool before install the soft, finally it is not so useful because is not so accurate, and I didn't use it so much.
I prefer to see where is/are my active AF point(s) and jugde by myself the focus area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Alban, that is very informative. I am shooting with Nikon D800 (36 Mp). Do you think the sharpen tool will be good with that camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell, you'll need to try it to discover that, but there's is a good chance of good result I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate