• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Display Focus Points

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon cameras stores the focus point that was in focus and the exposure was taken. This would be extremely valuable to see for a sports/action/wildlife photographer.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 175 Replies 175
175 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bit clunky and slow, but there is a plug-in that works for quite a few Canon and Nikon cameras:

http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/#faq

This same link to a plug-in has been repeated in earlier posts within the thread you've been merged into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus points not useful if you focus and then move to compose your shot. Far better would be image analysis showing what's in/out focus and by how much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

Though you of course have a point, I do not agree with you statement that this is not a useful feature.

I totally agree on your point with the image analysis.

I am using a Canon EOS 1D X with 61 focus points spread over most of the frame.
Hence, I Compose my shot/frame and then select the correct focus point for the shot. Depending on the scene, using the method "focusing/reframing" can throw the subject out of focus. 

The method suggest by me to ensure perfect sharpness of course is only ideal with cameras with sufficiant focus points spread across the frame. But, most new pro and semi-pro cameras have sufficient focus points to easily accommodate this work-flow. 

Focusing and then reframing is a popular way to work, but not the optimal if you want to make sure to have pin-point-focus. IMHO showing focus points is hence very essential; I think that it is an extremely annoying omission by Adobe and do not understand why they do not implement this feature.

Concerning the focus-point-plugin mentioned in another post: I personally find the plugin way too slow and cumbersome - but it shows that it is doable and it is nice that somebody has spend his time making this available.

As already mentioned by another member prior in this thread, Aperture did this and Canon and Nikon's prorpriatory software shows the focus points as well.

Adobe, wake up!

Didn't Bridge use to show the focus points (six years back or so)?

Have a fantastic day and good luck with your photography.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see focusing points in Lightroom and not a plug in!.  This thread started 6 years ago and it is not addressed.  It is basic photography information which would make my initial sort of images much much easier and faster.  Thanks.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon also stores the focus point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon and Nikon store the Focus Point information in both jpeg and raw format.

But Lightroom can not show it to users.

This information is very important to find out the flaw of shooting skill, and is important to DO the focus stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus point information is proprietary information unique to each camera manufacturer and therefore probably not something that Adobe is able to provide support for. However, the forum where feature requests will most likely be considered can be found here:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt Adobe will include this feature and I don't see any usefulness in it but you could use the camera supplied software of if you have a supported camera download this free plugin to do this in Lightroom.  If you do let us know how well it works.   Show Focus Points Plugin for Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with what you said, however, if you know where you were attempting to focus and did not recompose, it is a good tool to confirm your work, so in the end it is how you intend to make use of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that use of several plugins to show focus points and to apply a focus mask in Lightroom a very handy tool and wish that it was part of Lightroom since the focus point used is easily obtained from EXIF.

Of course, it would only show WHAT focus point was used, not necessarily where focus actually was achieved, but that could easily be added as an option as well, since there are 3rd party plugins that do that quickly and easily as well.

Be nice if both the focus point used and the focus masking would just be a keystroke, built into ACR/Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not work web site for download plug in for lightroom : http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except the Mac plugin on github, haven't most of the external focus point plugins disappeared?  No longer compatible....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was built into Aperture 1.0. So was the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts. I can't believe that TWELVE YEARS LATER Lightroom still doesn't have these. Another sign that Adobe puts software engineers ahead of photographers in its product design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show Focus Points in Library Mode: There is a 6-year old thread that talks about Lr showing focus points. I think it would be very useful to be able to toggle on and off the location of focus - for focus stacking or choosing among similar photographs. I use a plug in called Show Focus Points, but just seeing the focus points in Library view would be much more convenient. Thanks for considering this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use Show Focus Points - but also am starting to use Focus Mask, which shows what is in focus instead of what focus point the camera used.  Helpful if you focused and recomposed. 

http://www.capturemonkey.com/focusmask/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks great. Unfortunately, it's LR only, and I use CR. So I still want something like this from Adobe because they keep LR and CR in sync—basically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely would be better if built in for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After purchasing LR a few days ago, I was surprised and disappointed to learn that it was not able to display the camera focus point(s) on my RAW images.  I do bird photography, and found this very useful while using Aperture and Canon's DPP for editing.  I encourage Adobe to add this to LR.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AS mentioned in a few earlier posts the use of Show Focus Points plug seems to meet many needs and maybe helpful here. Take a look at http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used this plugin for quite some time now, and it can indeed come in handy, but it shows what focus point was selected and used by the camera (pretty much what any will do) If you focus, then recompose then of course the focus point is not necessarily what is in focus - I have also added the focusmask plugin to Lightroom from CaptureMonkey, which ends up showing what in the image is in focus, not just what point was used.

http://www.capturemonkey.com/focusmask/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Support Team,

wünsche mir für Lightroom das von den Nikon Kameras der Fokuspunkt bzw. Fokuspunkte angezeigt werden kann,

so wie es bei diesem Bild (rotes Kästchen = Fokuspunkt) angezeigt wird.

Ich benutze für die Anzeige jetzt eine andere Software um den Fokuspunkt anzeigen zu lassen und das ist sehr umständlich,

da ich immer zwischen der Software und Lightroom hin und her Wechsel muss,

schön wäre es wenn der Fokospunkt in Lightroom angezeigt werden kann.

Gruß Bernhard

Fokus Punkt.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Vielleicht kann dieses Plugin Helfen

Show Focus Points Plugin for Lightroom

nice day

mangray

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leider funktioniert das nicht mit der D5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a helpful feature and has my vote. Downloading and installing the 3rd party plugin right after posting this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus points are very valuable to show, especially since most DSLRs and all mirrorless options (Nikon Z series) support a dense grid of focus points meaning the "Centre focus and recompose" style of shooting is being used less and less and will almost entirely disappear as mirrorless overtakes DSLRs.

Votes

Translate

Translate