• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: DNG Converter: Enable JPG conversion

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is capable to convert JPGs into DNG. The DNG Converter unfortunately currently is not. Please add JPG support to the Adobe DNG Converter. Thank you very much for considering!

Idea No status
TOPICS
DNG Converter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 173 Replies 173
173 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why must it be done by DNG Converter? DNG Converter does have a very specific purpose, so I would be pretty surprised if Adobe changed it for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG Converter is the batch tool to convert files to DNG. Since it is already possible to wrap TIFF and JPG into DNG in ACR and LR (the GUI tools) it would only be a logic conclusion to have this same feature too in the DNG Converter, since it's the designated tool for batch conversions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG Converter is the batch tool specifically intended to convert raw files to DNG because of issues with proprietary raw files. LR and ACR also having that capability doesn't make it logical to duplicate other capabilities in DNG Converter. Have you looked at automating Adobe's Media Encoder? Or at automating LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, Lightroom and ACR aren't tools that can be well launched and automated from 3rd party programs. Please trust me that for the time lapse community my request would be very important. It's open now for more then 3 years, and I/we still have the hope that Adobe will consider it. If there would be another solution, I'd for sure have considered it. Let's wait what Adobe has to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe  3+ years is already their answer, Gunther?

By the way,  LR's URL handler lets a 3rd party tool generate DNGs from JPEGs. External control might be harder with Bridge/ACR, but Photoshop would work, or maybe the DNG SDK contains an uncompiled version of the Converter? But whatever tool you use, I'd be surprised if Adobe altered the DNG Converter. Maybe there's a German equivalent of our expression "barking up the wrong tree"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's seems to allot of people that want this functionality, including myself. What harm would it cause you to have implemented Jon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said it would?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, then we will stay positive that adobe may consider it in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better to stay realistic, and question if alternatives have been properly considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support Gunther's request, so please add JPG support to the Adobe DNG Converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Maybe  3+ years is already their answer, Gunther? >

Maybe, but I've been pleasantly surprised to see some of my feature requests be fulfilled after more than 5 years waiting, and even exceed my request and expectations. So we can always stay positive if we can manage to just live long enough.<G>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,  I also support Gunthers request since I just got locked in the workflow and needed time consuming getting everything converted so I could continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, support this request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What advantage would there be placing a JPEG into a DNG? Doesn't make it raw. Container allows embedding of metadata like DNG. 
A true raw, converted to DNG and with processing instructions from ACR/Lightroom can embed a decent sized JPEG of that rendering in the DNG container and now that IS useful. But you've setup ACR/LR for that specific rendering. Nothing like that will ever find it's way into the DNG converter! There are two other pay-for tools for that task. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know all of this. The advantage would be, that I'd have the JPG data inside the container along with the Dng preview that has the xmp-data for development applied.
Trust me, for the whole timelapse community it would be important to have this feature. Since it's already in Lightroom (Classic and before), it shouldn't be a major issue to allow the Dng Converter to do that JPG wrapping too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The product has one role: to convert raw to DNG. 
The product has no provisions for rendering raw to anything rendered. That's what ACR/LR are for. 
IF they had some auto convert raw to JPEG, you'd have no idea what you'd get. It be akin to the default conversions of the raws for previews in ACR or LR. Without presets! 
Might as well extract the existing rendered JPEG from the camera that exists in the raw! Might as well ASK Adobe to do this; provide/embed an existing rendered JPEG from the raw when converting to DNG. Not turn the DNG converter into a raw converter to produce a JPEG (what size??). It's a free product to provide a path from proprietary raws. Nothing else. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you are not from Adobe, so why bothering? It's not helpful at all for our request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add another plus. You can't accidentally save over a DNG, but you can a JPEG. If the JPEGs are your "original", then it's another safeguard.

Oh, and you can have a validation hash too, of course.

I think it's up to Adobe to set priority on its inclusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 3rd party app can call LR's URL handler and make LR automatically generate DNGs from JPEGs. You have full control over the process.

I think one can also automate Adobe's Media Encoder.

I'd be pretty surprised if Adobe made this change to what is a free tool intended for a very specific job.  But life is full of surprises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your request makes no sense and that’s why after so many years your getting no traction Günther!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip: using Elements (even old versions) as a third party jpeg to DNG converter.
- In the editor, menu File >> Open in camera raw
- select a whole folder of jpegs (I have not tested more than 100 files at the same time)
- click on the 'Select all' button on the top of the left side film strip.
- click on the 'Save' button and set your preferences, including choosing the destination folder.
- Wait for the conversion to be complete (very fast)
- click 'Cancel'
That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Elements be scripted, Michel? The underlying need is to automate the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements might be scripted, at least in the past (Pixel Genius had an Automate plug-in for Elements using scripts years ago). No idea if it can still do so, PG stopped supporting Elements a good 6-8 years ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the need of Gunther Wegner, the original poster.
If you read my post at the beginning of the discussion, the need to convert jpegs to DNG was different. To simplify that was to find a workaround to the limitation of the organizer which can't open selected jpegs directly in the ACR module. Only the editor can open in ACR. There are huge advantages in opening jpegs as well as raws in the ACR: not only quality, but to enable powerful and fast non-destructive batch editing. In recent Elements editor versions, the ACR module can open a big number of files, jpegs or raws. The limitation of the organizer does not exist with LR, Bridge, PS...
It's understandable that Adobe is reluctant to offer the ability to open jpegs in ACR in the organizer not to compete with LR; same for the DNGconverter ability to convert jpegs to DNG which would solve the problem. Note that I convert all my files, jpegs as raws in ACR.

I don't know anything about scripting, but I assume Elements can be scripted, since a number of add-ons like Elements+ or OnOne are managed via scripts. Elements+ even has scripts to edit layers in ACR or to restore full ACR options like HSL or lens correction which are not present in the limited version of Elements ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate