• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lens profile for Canon G1X

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add camera correction support for the Canon Powershot G1X! It worked perfectly with my G11, and I miss it!

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for the request.

If you weren't aware already, you can create your own lens profiles with the Adobe Lens Profile Creator or you can download user-contributed profiled lenses through the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader.

It's always appreciated when customers profile their lenses and share them with the community. You can upload them using the same Adobe Lens Profile Downloader mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
43 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see the supported cameras here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite...

This camera is supported in LIghtroom 4, and in Camera Raw 6.7, which you can get at labs.adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's partially supported! Yes, you can read the RAW files, but the lens correction is not there. It worked fine for the Powershot G series up to G12. I'd like the G1X to be included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open Canon G1X Raw Files in CS5.5 nor can I see the thumbnail image in Bridge CS5. I always get an error message that the camera may not be supported, but it IS supported in Adobe Camera Raw 6.6 that I have installed several times and my SW is all up to date (win 7 64 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera raw 6.6 doesn't read files .cr2 of my Canon G1 X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I aske the same, please add camera correction support for the Canon Powershot G1X in Lightroom 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the request.

If you weren't aware already, you can create your own lens profiles with the Adobe Lens Profile Creator or you can download user-contributed profiled lenses through the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader.

It's always appreciated when customers profile their lenses and share them with the community. You can upload them using the same Adobe Lens Profile Downloader mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The redundant responses of Mr.Tranberry (the nature of which tends to leave me questioning the validity of the last word in his title; if this is what a "Chief" is like, I wonder what the braves are like in the Customer Advocate team...) are what was called a non-response response, in the Nixon era (also the administration that invented the concept of "plausible deniability"), and in court would call for an admonition from the judge not to be non-responsive and answer the question. We're not stupid, we Adobe consumers, who pay big bucks for initial licenses and then repeated big bucks for upgrades (I've upgraded Creative Suite five times since its original re-packaging as a suite... that's thousands and thousands of dollars adding to their healthy bottom line; earnings aren't what they were, but they're still near a billion dollars a year... that's profit folks, not revenue). Of course we know we can create our own lens profiles, because you gave us versions of the tools that you use. But we expect you to do it, with mainstream products (and they don't get more so than the Canon G1X). You've had the camera available long enough—available in Asia since February, and in the U.S. since March. Camera vendors turn out new firmware for newly released cameras faster than you update mature products. Even Apple releases updates on a much more robust product (a whole operating system) faster than you. Creating a lens profile is not rocket science, but it's tedious and time-consuming. You get paid for your job. We get paid for ours, and that doesn't include doing your work, in this instance. This isn't a request for an obsolete version of some arcane lens from an unknown Japanese vendor. It's a request for a profile of an incredibly popular camera (sixth in the top ten list of cameras receiving the most clicks for reviews and spec in the last five days on dpreview.com). You have the means, and you have the money for the resources to do what should be routine for a company the size of Adobe. Just do it. And stop telling us how we can do it, and how much you appreciate it when we do. Of course you do. I'll do it, if I can send you a bill. Bad consumer advocacy Mr.Tranberry. No wonder the earnings are slipping. The famous Adobe arrogance lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Howard,

I'm just trying to help by providing a viable solution to OP's request. Let's leave personal attacks and insults out of this community. Thanks.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

http://getsatisfaction.com/corp/help/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I'm sorry because I should have made my point more clearly and succinctly. Second and third, I will apologize for two other reasons. I meant nothing personal in any way shape or form. I could hardly, I don't know you. This is a business site, sponsored by Adobe (sorry, I think "community" has a different meaning). I am an Adobe customer. I can't get warm and fuzzy about a profit-making entity that's listed on the stock exchange.

I was commenting on the conduct and character of this forum, which is determined by Adobe management, surely, not its people on the front line, like you. I do appreciate the effort at providing a response and support, when the company does not provide the primary resources themselves for a "solution" (to a problem created by the absence of product, hardly the customer's fault).

I'll also apologize by relating that I am sorry, in advance, but I don't accept, still, that the notion of using the ponderous Adobe Lens Profile Creator (a similar, and far simpler, solution is offered by XRite and their Colorchecker app that creates profiles... alas not efficiently usable in Lightroom) is "viable." It's real. I can't dispute that. But it remains as an enormous burden in time and effort, for indexing a mainstream product by another major vendor, on the Adobe customer. Again, my apologies for seeming to attack you personally, but I found your response inadequate, which I already spent a lot of unnecessary words saying. Forward your supervisor's contact information and I'll be glad to convey my thoughts directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to Lightroom 4.1 but find no profiles for the Canon G1X though the do appear for my older G12. The G1X has been out for a while now and I am hoping for Adobe profiles rather than making my own individual adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a G1 x and would also appreciate lens profiles in lightroom 4 . This camera has been out at least 4 months

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks rick@tunespeak for updating this thread. Actually the camera was announced by Canon 11 months ago, for release 10 months ago. It seems obvious that Adobe are not prepared to support Lightroom licensees with lens/sensor profile/correction data for this camera.

Adobe regularly and inexplicably demonstrate a lack of adequate resources, with omissions like this (no doubt dictated by the, to them, inadequate number of users of a product, in this case the G1X), or with dilatory responses to problems with updates, especially beta versions available through the Adobe Labs. They will use us as testers, but will keep us in the dark when it comes to explaining lapses. They don't seem to understand they lose nothing by informing us (like passengers left wondering on a jet waiting to take off, but sitting instead on the tarmac, with no plausible explanation forthcoming).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what shame. this is a suberb travel camera for advanced and above photographers who like to shoot raw it's low light capabilities are better than my 60D which is too heavy to take on active trips. the lens is also very good. Is there a workaround that is not too complicated. I'm on the latest version of Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use the 5D MkII, the 5D MkIII, and now an EOS-M (an even more impressive, if advanced, version of the same kind of thinking as the G1X product strategy; not surprisingly, there are not profiles yet for the 22mm EOS-M lens--or the alternative zoom--the camera comes with, but it was just released in the past month), and the first two, of course, have profiles for all the lenses I can put on them. I've noticed, by inference, that with the G1X that probably not much is lost (but who knows until Adobe or another user who can be trusted come up with a profile) unless making critical prints of images. My only "workaround" is, in "Develop" under "Lens Corrections" select the Color tab, and toggle on "Remove Chromatic Aberration." You might also want to play with the "Defringe" settings (there are two: Purple and Green, and unless you understand these controls, just adjust the amount unless you see a definitive color to the edges of objects in high contrast areas. You'll have to view the image at 1:1 on a good sized monitor (at least 21", 22" or 23" with high definition; any higher magnification with this camera will pixellate and be meaningless. On really bad chromatic fringing you can slowly see the aberrant color disappear.

I think the G1X lens is otherwise fairly good at avoiding the usual kinds of problems, as there doesn't appear to be significant vignetting. Any visible distortion I've always found to be best removed manually anyway, no matter what the lens.

If you're a perfectionist geek, all bets are off, of course. And you'll want to take three days off to render your own lens profile anyway, under a variety of WB conditions, lighting, and several focal lengths in the zoom range. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently discovered DXO Viewpoint. I have been using it for a few weeks now, and find it quite useful. On top of the usual optical fixes, It fixes one optical problem no one else does -that I know of-; they call it anamorphic correction, and it is the elongated heads towards the corners, which a very annoying distortion. I only find two issues: it is not automatic (you have to do a little fiddling), and no chroma correction. However, because it is not completely automatic, you can -and should- use any automatic corrections beforehand that you can on ACR or Lightroom, which ends up being an advantage. All in all, I find it extremely useful, and worth the money. It has become integral part of my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JosE, this is an excellent suggestion, and not only for Lightroom | ACR users who have an "unlisted" lens. There is ultimately a small fly in the ointment, at least for me.

I use Optics Pro, another, more robust, more comprehensive DxO product. Viewpoint takes one function set, the so-called perspective controls, of Optics Pro and makes them available at a much lower price, and allows you to correct one image at a time, instead of loading all the images from a session as you do in Optics Pro. Also, and this is a boon you don't mention, Viewpoint comes with two plug-ins that allow you access to the perspective controls (including the distortion correction you mention) inside Lightroom or PhotoShop. So you can make anamorphic correction and other perspective adjustments part of the regular Lightroom workflow.

The fly in the ointment for me is, although the same functionality is available in Optics Pro, the high-price version of DxO technology, the plug-ins are apparently exclusive to Viewpoint (a relatively new product). I'm trying to get this clarified with the vendor. It's hard for me to justify spending almost 25% of the original license cost for Optics Pro over and above my investment simply to be able to install these plug-ins.

It seems no matter what these developer/vendors seek ways to squeeze more money out of us users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hdinin: Before I purchased Viewpoint I sent a pre-sales inquiry to DXO, asking if the complete functionality of Viewpoint was included in DXO Optics Pro. I wanted to decide which product to buy, given that my main concern was optic correction capabilities. This was their answer:

"DxO ViewPoint is an independent program, so it is not inside DxO Optics Pro.
These are the main differences between DxO Optics Pro and DxO ViewPoint:
DxO ViewPoint also includes unique tools like the keystoning corrections intensity slider, full canvas availability when cropping and the loupe.
Also, while DxO Optics Pro requires a supported camera/lens module in order to correct images, DxO ViewPoint does not have that restriction."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm joining this thread about one year it started and about 2 years since superb Canon G1X came to market and we still don't have any Lens Profile with this camera.

How is it possible? Two years!

I know that I can go through "Adobe Lens Profile Creator and/or Adobe Lens Profile Downloader". I KNOW that already.

But Adobe is never going to fix this problem?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess at this point it is safe to say it isn't going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think so. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, we plan to have a profile for this lens before long. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Eric, It's really nice to hear that. Maybe for version 5 of Lightroom?

Thanks anyway for answering my prayer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, it's really not all that hard to make your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for your point of view, Lee.

Well... Easy or difficult. It depends on your personal ability to solve the problem. I have downloaded that tools "Adobe Lens Profile Creator and Adobe Lens Profile Downloader" and for me it's difficult to work on that. Perhaps my backgroung is not very good and my English either. Spanish is my mother language...

So Lee If you can do it easily, congratulations! That's not my case. That's why I'm asking for help. If Adobe "gurus" can help me that's fine. Otherwise, I'll try DxO Optics.

But just for your information, I have NOT found any G1X Lens profile to download in the catalog that "Adobe Lens Profile Downloader" offers to people. So if anybody has designed his own fresh home made G1X lens profile, he's not sharing it with the rest of fellow enthusiasts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate