• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make use of extra cores to process multiple photos in parallel

LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was exporting 50 photos on my newly built Core I7-3770 machine, which is a CPU has 4 cores 8 threads. From the task manager, I noticed that only 50~60 percent of CPU was used.

If exporting 1 photo only takes half of the CPU power, why not Lightroom process 2 or more photos at one time for those systems have extra power?

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
57 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT, this is what the program should be PROGRAMED to do for us. (sorry for yelling)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a quad core i5 with 20GB ram and a 500MB/s SSD(neither is maxe'd or even taxed), the max processor use I ever see is 300% fluctuating greatly. Seti@home runs 4 instances of itself, PEGS the processors at 400% (100 each) for days on end and still manages to gracefully allow other programs (even photoshop) to work normally like a well written background process should. Perhaps Adobe could consider making a hefty donation to Seti@home for them to optimize their photo applications for multi core processing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe, please respond to this post. I think all we want is an honest answer as to why your program does not work in this fashion. If you are working on it, wonderful. If you don't have enough resources, let us sign up to support this initiative. If there are other considerations we have not brought up, please discuss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like Lightroom would definitely make something better with my CPU, multithreading and multitasking itself. Speed up the exporting process or let people make a good use of OS multitasking capabilities!
E.g.: I'd like to work on a different catalog (a different wedding for example) while exporting my 1.000/2.000 images set(s) of the first catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly! You can force lightroom to do this by breaking up your export into several groups and exporting them simultaneously... For the record adobe camera raw when hosted in 64 bit photoshop exports photos in the way we're requesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be ideal! leave it up to the user. There are times that you want to be able to use your computer for other tasks, and there are times when you would prefer to max out your system resources to finish your export asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 03, 2013 May 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting a webgallery the workaround to do it in several parallel jobs often doesn't work (as it does with the normal picture export).
For me this means that the hint can just be a workaround and Adobe should focus on optimising the use of ressources with multicore computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've similar issue during importing more then 2,000 files:

Windows 7 SP1; 64 Bit
Intel i7 with 4 cores, enabled hyperthreading and 3.6 GHz
-> 8 virtual CPUs
24 GB RAM

Only up to 25 % of my whole CPU resources used by Lightroom, so it took up 20 minutes.

If it would use all cores, it could do it 4 times faster: also only in 5 minutes!

Some for updating the previews after changing pictures. One preview after the other was updated. No parallel processing. Only simple and slow sequencially processing.

I'm really disappointed, as multi core CPU are not rare anylonger since years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

performance on LR5 is very bad and this doesn't work any more so good as it worked with LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, especially as they could ensure, that x processes are working in parallel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2014 Apr 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue is there, if you use Bidge and Camera RAW:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2014 Apr 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the similar feature request for Bridge and Camera RAW is now:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a simple script you can use to divide export into multiple simultaneous tasks.

Export in Parallel:

Note: sequence numbers for filenaming purposes will be partitioned appropriately.

Free, written by me:
http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAn...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very cool Rob! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it's that it's using a single export process and multithreading the filters it's applying but some are only single threaded. So it's 100% when it's a really efficient algorithm, and low when it's single threaded (zip compression for example)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome - thanks Bryn.

One caveat: does not support export filters (post-process actions), so export preset must not include references to Lr/Mogrify or Exportant..

Otherwise, any export preset can be used, and it will work the same as if export preset chosen in export dialog box, except for the multiple tasks (and sequence number override).

Cheers,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really great, Rob!!
But as this script can only speed up "mormal" export but for example not the export of a big web gallery with many pictures, I'm still hoping on Adobe to optimize Lightroom performance and multi-core usage in the Lightroom core code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. and, I agree..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this here Rob. I'm trying the export script and LR is consistently using 95%+ of my processor and nearly 5GB of RAM. LR seems to have inefficient coding and on top of that it won't use available system resources. This at least solves the last problem. So, thank you!!

** as a reminder to anyone else using this, LR won't release RAM until it's been restarted. So, to keep everything running smoothly restart LR after a big export. WHY????

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet Dan, and yeah: if you are memory-challenged in the first place (whether due to amount installed or non-optimal memory-management/bugs..), this script may make things worse.. - in addition to using more CPU, it will also use more memory doing exports in parallel than sequentially. Lr *should* release used memory, but as most of us know - it doesn't always..

FWIW: This script only supports (non-publishing) exports without post-process actions, it does not support publish services, nor web galleries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hopefully Adobe will be inspired by the real world results of your script and apply this to standard preview generation (smart previews build so much faster) and web pages and books and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, could someone please tell me how to install the export in parallel scripts in lightroom? or even how to get it. i used to have it before but after i cleaned my hard drive and installed windows again i lost it and cant find it anywhere.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The author's Web site, robcole.com, has been down for many weeks. Not clear if it's coming back, which would be too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC/6 now does this automatically

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,