Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support 3D camera file formats

May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, now that 3D camera's are everywhere and JPS is the standard, is there anyway we can get Photoshop Elements Organizer to allow JPS files?A JPS file is literally a renamed JPEG file but it has 2 images side by side (so it's twice the width of a 2D version) so there's no issues with Organizer reading the file as it's basically a jpeg but I take hundreds of photos and I don't want to rename them all to jpeg because the files then don't display properly on a 3D viewing device.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012
Photoshop CS6 can now read common stereo image pair formats (JPS, MPO, PNS)

Votes

Translate

Translate
44 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to CS6 extended specifically to do 3D stereo images. I was hoping I could edit the images, but everytime I save back to MPO or JPS it messes up the stereo pair. With MPO it seems to split the images several inches apart rending the stereo useless. With JPS it seems to scrunch the sides when I save back, but at least it stays view-able in stereo.

In either case, it is very annoying having to edit each of the pair separately. I need to be able to edit them at the same time. I would not even mind a quick registration, although given the mosaic and merge capabilities of Photoshop I should not have to do even that.

Translation: Great i can now view stereo pairs, but I can't really edit them so PS CS6 was a waste of money so far. hopefully the other improvements are actual improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2013 Apr 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please! MPO support in elements. Cataloging is a must and it's done such a wonderful job. lets support these 3d formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest that you should add the ability to read and archive MPO files in Lightroom (and other Adobe photoediting software such as PSE). This format is now standardly used for digital stereo purposes and is commonly the input 3D images to displays and players such as TVs, VCRs etc. Thus users of your photoediting software would be able to include the products of their 3D cameras (such as Fujifilm W3) in your asset management software, instead of having to archive them in different software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote here for MPO support in Lightroom! And by "support" I would be happy with basic import and left or right only image preview... I need to store my MPO files with all my other images and it would be very nice to have these properly indexed in my catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Lightroom please add support for the .mpo file format?

I would like to use Lightroom to organize my photo's but all of my still images are .mpo file format from the fuji W3 camera. Other software like Stereo Photo Maker saves images in that file format and the .mpo is one of the most popular choices for people taking stereo pictures.

I'm new to Lightroom and am just going over the tutorials so maybe I'm missing an option or a plugin to have Lightroom accept the .mpo file format? (Multiple Picture Object, which is really just two .jpg images side by side in a wrapper).

Thank you for your time.
-Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What programs are people using to organize and catalogue mpo file formats images that would migrate smoothly to Lightroom in the future if Lightroom chose to support the mpo file format someday?

I'm about to organize thousands of pictures and video clips and want to make the most flexible choice that would "play nice" with Lightroom in the future.

The feature I need most is to catalogue images on multiple drives and add tag lines and be able to unmount those drives and still have access to the catalogue names and be able to search for the tag lines.

Thank you for any suggestions.
-Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After acquiring an old Victorian Stereoscope viewer a couple of years ago I played about with side by side images using my DSLR. I edit and catalogue my 3D images along with all my other pictures using PS Elements and Lightroom. Having recently purchased a Fuji 3DW3 camera and discovered the MPO file format I would dearly love to incorporate them along with my other images, often shot at the same time.

I can understand that to provide 3D image manipulation would require a major programming effort and consequently may not be justified by the numbers likely to use the features. I would be happy just to be able to catalogue the files in the same way that video files are now supported in Lightroom. Since MPO’s are basically jpegs it should be a simple task to provide thumbnails for the catalogue.

If in the future 3D does become more widely used (I see that more and more standard digital cameras are offering 3D options and MPO files) then it would be great to see more comprehensive image manipulation features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing these files should be supported by Lightroom's import feature. Apple's Image Capture supports at least the importing part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2014 Aug 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly I am not alone in wanting my MPO files to be natively recognised and imported into Lightroom. So what is Adobe doing about it? Is anyone from the company even reading this thread? MPO format is just a combined jpg combination and is easily read by free programs such as the excellent StereoPhoto Maker http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/, so what is the problem? This software is not alone however see http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mpo. So how come Lightroom and other Adobe software can't fall in line for its users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some sort of employee response from several years ago at the beginning of the thread, but the response seems not constructive. Saying that "photoshop handles mpo files" is not really an answer to why lightroom can't. Lightroom is advertised as a way to organize your photo library, but how can you when it doesn't support all the file formats that come off the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I learn how to create jps files from 2 images. I tried with photoshop, but the results all were false.
either in the internet, nore in PS help I can find informations how to-do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create jps files using StereoPhoto Maker

StereoPhoto Maker

This allows you to create and convert many 3D formats. You can allign individual immages but there's no image editing that you get with Photoshop.

There's a video here which will give you an idea of what it's like:

StereoPhoto Maker video

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still hopeful for some sort of MPO 3D support in Lightroom. There exists no other product that can manage collections of 3D images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see MPO support in Lightroom.  I open MPOs in Photoshop now and am happy with the features.  However, I have 10000s of MPOs and organizing them is the toughest task.  I could convert them all to side by side tiffs or jpgs using stereo photo maker so I could use lightroom, but then I would need to convert them back after adjustments to play on my 3D TV (which are still made).  If they could be seen as thumbnails it would be a great help on Lightroom as now Lightroom can only see around 20% of my photos making it not real useful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am considering purchasing Lightroom 4, but I shoot mostly mpo files (still image files, consisting of usually 2 jpgs and associated alignment data for 3D) with my Fuji w3 and Panasonic Lumix 3D1 cameras. Is it true that Lightroom does not yet support mpo files, even for organizing? Is that planned for the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm not able to use Lightroom until it supports the MPO file format which is a stereo image file.

Will Lightroom support the MPO file format in the near future?

Photoshop already does support the MPO file format.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is true, it will not work.  I cannot speak to what their plans are. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While .MPO files have not been mentioned recently there is still a need for Lightroom to support this file format. I'm just considering starting with Lightroom and Photoshop. To my dismay the .MPO (3D) format is not supported in Lightroom but it is in Photoshop. This seems like half of an implementation. There are many users of the Fuji W3 camera even though it has not been manufactured for several years. It takes a 2D (.jpg) and 3D (.mpo) picture at the same time. Some more recent cameras, like the Sony A77 have the option to take 3D panoramas which produce .MPO files.

When I show anyone a 3D image on my W3 they are amazed. So people really love 3D, we live in a 3D world, it is just the display technology that needs to advance.

It would be great if Lightroom supported .MPO so picture organization would be complete. I could use picture stacking and tagging consistently. As is, I'm not sure using Lightroom is worth the effort.

If there are plugins or add-ons that enable Lightroom to organize .mpo files I would really like to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's disappointiongf that Adobe never incorporated meaningful MPO and/or JPS support in Lightroom or Photoshop. Has anyone been employing a functiuonal workflow using Stereo Photo Maker and Lightroom (or Bridge) together that they can describe?

Votes

Translate

Translate