• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support lens profiles for Olympus ZUIKO Digital lenses (E-System)

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Adobe provide lens profiles for the OLYMPUS DIGITAL ZUIKO four thirds lenses, i.e., the super high grade and high grade lenses of the professional OLYMPUS E-System?

OLYMPUS does not support software of other organizations.

For this reason, E-System photographers urgently need Adobe's support to benefit from lens profiles for the E-System that perfectly match into an ACR based workflow.

Note that OLYMPUS cameras of the E-System are already supported by ACR, whereas we miss the lens profiles of the same system.

Thanks.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013
1. Yes.

2. There is preliminary support for the E-M1 in Camera Raw 8.2, which was recently released. It was reported on here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/rev...

3. Geometric distortion correction is applied automatically by ACR/Lr when processing raw files shot with an Olympus Micro Four-Thirds cameras and Micro Four-Thirds lenses (i.e., lenses designed for the MFT electronic mount, as opposed to manual lenses attached via an adapter).

Votes

Translate

Translate
74 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid not. I won't rule it out for the future, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eric.

No need anymore, I've returned the Olympus. Back to worry-free shooting with my now 4-year old D700... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerald, there's a new version of the downloader here:

Win: http://t.co/TkZyVlTY
Mac: http://t.co/AYvjsVph

It should fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would definitely want to have my 14-42 E-PL3 lens supported by Adobe Raw to help me develop my pictures better.
The E-PL3 is a great camera in the underwater housing. As you can imagine underwater pictures need developing due to the different colour conditions underwater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my vote for lens profiles in Lightroom for Olympus 4/3rds lenses. My personal preferences are for the 12-60, 50-200 and 70-300. It would be nice to include the EC20 teleconverter on the 50-200 as well.

Got tired of waiting for Nikon to provide a high end mirrorless body so am switching from a D300S & lenses to the new Olympus OM-D E-M1.

Thanks,
Bill
-just upgraded to Lightroom 5.2 on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill and Adobe Team,

there is a new TOP OLYMPUS camera on the market, the OM-D E-M1.

This excellent body combines the use of Four Thirds AND micro Four Thirds lenses. OLYMPUS succeeded in launching a body that is both, the official successor of OLYMPUS DSLR series (the E-System) AND the next generation of OLYMPUS mirrorless system cameras (m4/3).

I have provided some lens profiles for the Zuiko lenses (E-System) using the predecessor DSLR body E-5. You can download those or others via Adobe's Lens Profile Downloader.

Now my questions:
1.) E-System: Can we use the lens profiles made for the E-5 body also with the new body OM-D E-M1? It should work out because it is still the same 4/3 system, maybe with more pixels. The E-System lenses will survive with the E-M1. and there quality is top!
2.) Is Adobe Raw Converter (ACR) ready to interpret the RAW files of the E-M1?
3.) If we look at the m4/3 concept, as you say there is another strategy to integrate lens profiles into ACR that differs from the "classical" way to use the dialog in ACR's tab for lens profile corrections. Could you please provide links or further info in detail, how this alternative m4/3 approach works and what quality we can expect?

Thanks
Gerald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes.

2. There is preliminary support for the E-M1 in Camera Raw 8.2, which was recently released. It was reported on here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/rev...

3. Geometric distortion correction is applied automatically by ACR/Lr when processing raw files shot with an Olympus Micro Four-Thirds cameras and Micro Four-Thirds lenses (i.e., lenses designed for the MFT electronic mount, as opposed to manual lenses attached via an adapter).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric

I would like to come back again to the main concern of this thread. OLYMPUS launched the OM-D E-M1 about half a year ago. Meanwhile, the proprietary ORF raw file format of the camera is being supported by ACR and Lightroom. The OM-D E-M1 has brought back OLYMPUS' image to produce camera systems that meets modern professional requirements. Above all, the noise of the ambitiously small-sized sensor has been significantly reduced, even for higher ISO.

However, the OM-D E-M1 also holds other promises: It merges the usage of both systems, i.e., the usage of micro four thirds (mFT) AND four thirds (FT) lenses. The latter is possible with the aid of an adapter. OLYMPUS has announced officially that they will continue with the manufacturing of their FT lens system. However, OLYMPUS has no intention to further develop new FT lenses for the moment.

Ultimately, the question of having available FT lens profiles in ACR and Lightroom, this has become definitely a topic again that was brought back with the launch of the E-M1.

In contrast to other statements in this thread, OLYMPUS communicated its willingness to support this idea at the E-M1 roadshow in Germany: "We (OLYMPUS) already had provided all the necessary data to Adobe for FT lens profiles at professional level."

Now here is my question: Does Adobe expect this type of data in a very special format? Is it possible that OLYMPUS provided this data but unfortunately in a format that Adobe could not use/did not accept?

The free software "Adobe Lens Profile Creator" has a function that is called "Batch Convert Lens Design Data..." that expects lens design data directly from the lens vendors. Is THIS the workflow what Adobe expects from OLYMPUS to provide lens design data? And if so, is the expected format disclosed?

Thanks
Gerald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, this is one of several relatively small things that Olympus needs to fix and get fixed for their cameras to really break out among serious photographers.

With myself as an example of one, I've recently sold all my Nikon DX gear and decided to go either Nikon FX or Olympus E-M1. For Olympus, it would be the FT lenses as a tripod mount is an absolute requirement. The other problem for me is that the body is still just too small even with the grip for handheld operation, everything is too close together. Mounted on a tripod (50-200) I can poke at the buttons but handheld with the 12-60 is just not workable.

Furthermore Olympus needs to take the mFT lens line forward with pro long lenses: 50-200, 100 macro, 100-400 and all with tripod mounts and close focusing capability (well, obvious for the macro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom for several years now and I like it a lot. There is just one problem. I have an Olypus E620 SLR with an expensive Olympus 12-60 mm lens. In the Development Mode is a lens correction tool, where one can choose a lot of lenses. But there are no Olympus/Zuiko lenses at all. I really think that Olympus is a good en much used camera brand and it should not be missing in LR. My lens is a 12-60 mm. Can you provide LR with this profile in the next update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you planning on adding profiles for the micro 4/3 lenses mentioned above. I have lightroom 5.7 and Photoshop CC 2014 and neither lens is listed.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens profiles for mirrorless cameras are already included, but they are not listed because they are always on so it doesn't make sense to have them selectable.

In other words the profiles are not listed but they are already included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I would like to point out that Olympus bodies like the OM-D E-M1 supports mFT and Four Thirds lenses in parallel. For the latter, lens profiles still make sense. I provided TWO profiles to Adobe two months ago, one for the manual lens Voigtlander Nokton 17,5 and the other for the Four Third lens Zuiko 14-35 f2.0 on an E-M1. You should provide these profiles to the community as what you did with my other profiles. Both are NOT micro Four Thirds but enjoy high popularity and convince as super high grade lenses. To update your policy: the body does not make the decision, it is the lense that counts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying your previous profiles are available via the Lens Profile Downloader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

so far, I have been using the Adobe's Lens Profile Editor and created lens profiles for the the older Olympus E-System. As body, I used the last DSLR camera of Olympus, the E-5 that belongs to the E-System (which supports FT, but does not run with mFT lenses). And Adobe provides all my lens profiles via the Lens Profile Downloader to the community. You can find them in the Olympus E-5 section of the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader. This is fine.

In between, I sold the E-5. I am actually working now with the newer OM-D E-M1. This is a great camera that fills the gap by supporting both systems, the younger mFT lenses, but also lenses from the older E-System. I will continue to explain.

If you see the E-M1 as a "mFT" camera and if you use mFT lenses with autofocus, then I share your idea: for that case you do not need lens profiles because mFT lenses have another way to communicate with Adobe Camera Raw - this is great.

But what if you are using lenses that cannot communicate with the body because they only support manual focus? Or what if you are using E-Sytem lenses with the E-M1? E.g., Spencer talked about the Zuiko 12-60, and I talked about the Zuiko 14-35:

THESE LENSES ARE NOT PART OF THE MICRO FOUR THIRDS SYSTEM, THEY BELONG TO THE OLDER E-SYSTEM AN DISERVE
--- LENS PROFILES ---

Please update Adobe's policy, you need to look first at the lens system being used and then at the body in action.

The Voigtlander Nokton 17,5 f0.95 is a manual lens which means, it cannot communicate with the body, which means, the body does not know anything about the lens in use. So, how did I succeed in this case to set-up a lens profile with Adobe's Lens Profile Editor? I needed to add the lens model and aperture values after the shooting into the EXIF section of the DNGs, separately. I did this with EXIFTOOL, which is well known on the market for such stuff.

My lens profiles refer to the
1.) Four Third Zuiko 14-35 f2.0 super high grade lens and to the
2.) Voigtlander Nokton 17,5 f0.95

Both are high-end lenses, hot loved and frequently used in the foto community.
These two lenses are real "role models" for the use of Adobe's Lens Profile Downloader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you asking Adobe to do with your recent posts of this thread, to add lens profiles you've created to their LPD for others to use or are you asking for Adobe to change something about how lenses are detected that depends on EXIFTool (a third party application) being used to update information in each raw file taken, or what?

One concern I have is that you're adding to a thread that is marked Implemented so I don't know as Adobe would be reading these comments three years later, and it might be wise to start a new thread for a new issue or another request for the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I was wondering was why Olympus lenses did not show up in the lens profile list in Lightroom light the lenses for my Canon do.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my original reply to you answered your question.

Gerald started the original thread your reply was merged into over three years ago, so is replying about things relevant to him and I'm trying to figure out exactly what that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you answered that and I thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am asking Adobe to add lens profiles I have created to Adobe's LPD for others to use. Do you recommend to start a new thread for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for creating some confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I would start a new feedback thread. You might want to link to this discussion in the new one in case anyone is wanting to check what you're talking about, but make the new request simple:

I have two lens profiles (for whatever camera/lens combo) I've created with the ALPC and would like to submit them for inclusion in the ALPD, just like I did a few years ago: link to this thread.

If you need to explain that the lenses are manual lenses or otherwise the lens LR detects will be wrong and that you added EXIF to make the ALPD work, fine, mention that, again.

If it is required that the user using the profiles also has to add EXIF information to their raws for LR to pick the right profile segment (rather than just the first one all the time if the EXIF is missing or a different lens if the combination is seen as only one of the component lenses) then it'd probably be worth splitting the lens-profiles into multiple files with one segment per file so someone can manually select the right one if need be. I don't know how many segments you've broken the profiles into so maybe that would be a ridiculous amount of profiles to manually select between, but if there are only a few a separated profile might be good to include, along with the one that has all the segments combined into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Steve,

thank you for your support, here is my new thread:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

I welcome any further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate