Camera Raw 12.0 Very Slow

Hi!

I updated to Camera Raw 12.0.1 today and performance in the app is very, very laggy. As another poster described, it takes from 2-5 seconds for an image to appear in the working window. 

In the previous version, an image would appear immediately but would take a second or two to come out of preview completely, whereas in v12 the image does appear to switch out of soft, low-res preview image state fairly quickly once it finally does load. 

In this version, previews load fairly quickly at first, decreasing after a few previews to the aforementioned laggy response time. If any adjustments are made on the panels, the laggy response happens instantaneously. 

I've followed all the steps here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html#Troubleshooting

And gotten no results whatsoever. Turning on/off/auto the GPU in ACR doesn't do anything to affect the performance. 

I'd appreciate any feedback available; I've got three shoots to get through and it's going to take me literally 3-4 times as long to process images as usual. If the solution is to downgrade, please let me know. 

I've seen another post regarding this topic on this forum, but it appears to be dead so I decided to post again. 

Additional info: 

mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

iMac 27" 4.2 gHz i7, 64 GB RAM

Thanks!!

Topics

Bug, Mac, Performance, Problem or error
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Camera Raw 12.0 Very Slow

Hi!

I updated to Camera Raw 12.0.1 today and performance in the app is very, very laggy. As another poster described, it takes from 2-5 seconds for an image to appear in the working window. 

In the previous version, an image would appear immediately but would take a second or two to come out of preview completely, whereas in v12 the image does appear to switch out of soft, low-res preview image state fairly quickly once it finally does load. 

In this version, previews load fairly quickly at first, decreasing after a few previews to the aforementioned laggy response time. If any adjustments are made on the panels, the laggy response happens instantaneously. 

I've followed all the steps here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html#Troubleshooting

And gotten no results whatsoever. Turning on/off/auto the GPU in ACR doesn't do anything to affect the performance. 

I'd appreciate any feedback available; I've got three shoots to get through and it's going to take me literally 3-4 times as long to process images as usual. If the solution is to downgrade, please let me know. 

I've seen another post regarding this topic on this forum, but it appears to be dead so I decided to post again. 

Additional info: 

mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

iMac 27" 4.2 gHz i7, 64 GB RAM

Thanks!!

Topics

Bug, Mac, Performance, Problem or error
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
Correct Answer by dfranzen_camera_raw
Adobe Employee, Nov 11, 2019

Thank you to folks who provided additional information. Right now my advice is still to run the 11.4.1 standalone installer to go back to the previous version from 12.0 if you experince this slowdown. FYI you should be able to use Camera Raw 11.4.1 with both Bridge and Bridge 2019 and 2020; I don't believe it's necessary to rollback both Photoshop/Bridge and the plugin. (Camera Raw 11.4.1 will still read the Bridge 2019 preferences for the UI color and color labels, however.)

I’ve got some reproducible cases where 12.0 underperforms 11.4.1 in apples-to-apples comparisons (ruling out other sources of slowdowns), so we can dig into the root cause and work on a fix for the next version.

Thanks,

David

17 Replies

Re: Camera Raw 12.0 Very Slow

I agree, upgraded Camera Raw yesterday and speed is at a snail's pace.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I too had the same problem, and I do not find the solution to this problem.
I hope we will have an answer to this problem soon.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hello,

I've also turned the GPU in Camera Raw on and off. It seems a little slower without the GPU, and so I'm having to limp along with Camera Raw behaving in a way it never has. I am processing a lot of 22MP images, and the slow response is really difficult to deal with. If anyone has any ideas to speed it up, I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Thank you!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I agree.  I too am having the same issue.  I tried turning off the GPU and it didnt help.  Is there any way to go back to an "older version" of ACR?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I have gone ahead and downgraded back to Photoshop 2019 by uninstalling via the CC app and when reinstalling selecting the elipsis and "previous versions" button. Then I deleted this file:

Your-Hard-Drive-Name-Here/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CC/File Formats/Camera Raw.plugin

and reinstalled the Camera Raw plugin from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

I reinstalled the 11.4 version. 

Everything's back to normal. I really like the save/read/write speeds for the rest of v12, so I hope they address this issue soon. I may try to update Photoshop itself and keep the old ACR for now to see if that works, but for now I have work to do. Hope this helps someone. 

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I also had the exact same problem three days ago when I installed Photoshop CC 2020 and Bridge 2020. Immediately Camera Raw 12 was very slow to load images into the workspace window when opened from Bridge (several seconds delay before appearing). Then there would be laggy delays of 5-10-15+ seconds (usually accompanied by the spinning beachball) when I would make adjustments with the basic panel tools, adjustment brush, radial filter, etc.

Since I also have work to do, I followed your recommendations and downgraded back to Photoshop 2019 and Bridge 2019 via the CC app, and then reinstalled the Camera Raw plugin (version 11.4). Now everything is back to working as before on my 2018 Mac Mini (3.2 GHz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6).

Thanks for your helpful information. 

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Glad to help.    I'm optimistic that the Camera Raw team...

Glad to help. 

I'm optimistic that the Camera Raw team at Adobe will be addressing this issue as soon as they can. The performance of opening and saving files from version 12 is really impressive. As soon as they fix the in-app delay it will once again be a fantastic piece of software. Glad they are able to offer the older version while the bugs get worked out for the production geeks out there. 

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Re: Glad to help.    I'm optimistic that the Camera Raw team...

I also have this issue - but have Installed Photoshop 2020 and reverted to Camera RAW 11.4.1 and it works fine. Soi will await further Camera RAW updates from Adobe as regards the problem.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Re: Glad to help.    I'm optimistic that the Camera Raw team...

Yes, I just just installed Camera Raw 11.4.1 without uninstalling anything and it's fine. Can download it here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Thank you to folks who provided additional information. R...

Thank you to folks who provided additional information. Right now my advice is still to run the 11.4.1 standalone installer to go back to the previous version from 12.0 if you experince this slowdown. FYI you should be able to use Camera Raw 11.4.1 with both Bridge and Bridge 2019 and 2020; I don't believe it's necessary to rollback both Photoshop/Bridge and the plugin. (Camera Raw 11.4.1 will still read the Bridge 2019 preferences for the UI color and color labels, however.)

I’ve got some reproducible cases where 12.0 underperforms 11.4.1 in apples-to-apples comparisons (ruling out other sources of slowdowns), so we can dig into the root cause and work on a fix for the next version.

Thanks,

David

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Re: Thank you to folks who provided additional information. R...

David, 

Thanks very much for your clarification and for being so responsive with this issue. It really does speak to your expertise and willingness to help out the users of Adobe's products. 

Kindest regards!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Re: Thank you to folks who provided additional information. R...

David, let me also thank you for your update and quick response to this issue.  I am encouraged to know that Adobe is aware of the problem and will be working on a fix. 

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines