Camera Raw changes the resolution/image size when I open a TIFF from Bridge

I scan old photos at high resolutions and save them as TIFFs to restore in photoshop.  When I open these photos from Adobe Bridge CS5.1, they first open in Camera Raw, which I use to make some adjustments, and then open into Photoshop.  Most times, but not all-say if the photo is a square-the resolution changes, thus changing the image size as well. Sometimes it makes the image large, and other times it decreases it.  I have to go into image size and put the resolution back to what it was scanned at to regain the actual size of the old photos. This is tedious.

How do I get Camera Raw to just keep the same resolution/image size that the image was scanned at?

Thank you for any suggestions!

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Camera Raw changes the resolution/image size when I open a TIFF from Bridge

I scan old photos at high resolutions and save them as TIFFs to restore in photoshop.  When I open these photos from Adobe Bridge CS5.1, they first open in Camera Raw, which I use to make some adjustments, and then open into Photoshop.  Most times, but not all-say if the photo is a square-the resolution changes, thus changing the image size as well. Sometimes it makes the image large, and other times it decreases it.  I have to go into image size and put the resolution back to what it was scanned at to regain the actual size of the old photos. This is tedious.

How do I get Camera Raw to just keep the same resolution/image size that the image was scanned at?

Thank you for any suggestions!

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

At the bottom of the ACR screen is the Options link. Click that and make sure Resize to Fit: isn't selected. There are other options in there that you should go over.

ACR Program screen.PNG

I'm using a newer version of ACR but the same options should be in your version.

6 Replies

Re: Camera Raw changes the resolution/image size when I open a TIFF from Bridge

At the bottom of the ACR screen is the Options link. Click that and make sure Resize to Fit: isn't selected. There are other options in there that you should go over.

ACR Program screen.PNG

I'm using a newer version of ACR but the same options should be in your version.

View all replies

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks for the reply Just Shoot Me. 

Mine is definitely older!  This is what my workflow options look like and my Preferences.  I don't see anything that I can change that will open each of them as is.  All I have figured out to do is change the resolution back for each photo I open in the workflow options. This photo should be 1200ppi, but it opens it up at 700.

See anything I am missing? 

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 7.53.49 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 8.18.51 PM copy.jpg

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What options is there in the Crop Size section? You should set it to something higher like Original  xxMB.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I played around with the crop size as you suggested, but I still have to enter the original size for each image. There is no Original xxMB. I still can't find anything that will let me open any image in it's original size.  Looks like I might have to upgrade!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Jan 31, 2017

The PPI setting is really of no consequence. Regardless of what that number is, the image still has the same number of pixels. The only value that setting has in any digital image is to perhaps let someone see what the intent was as far as size is concerned in a printed image. Changing that PPI setting will have no impact on the size or the quality of the image.

The scanning software is a different story. The higher the PPI setting, the larger the image will be in pixel dimensions. Scanning at 1200 PPI will produce a much larger image then scanning at 300 PPI. But in camera raw or Photoshop changing the PPI setting has no effect on the image.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thank you for your response.  The problem is that it will save the image to the new size unless I go in and manually set it back to the original size.  This is a pain.  If my client gives me a 4x5 photo scanned at 600ppi, I want to give them a file that is 4x5 at 600ppi,  and not 8x10 at 300, or whatever size/resolution proportion camera raw opens it at.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines