• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic Multiple Choice Setup Captivate 9

Participant ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 9 is a great tool and has many features but I am looking for a basic multiple choice (4 answers, 1 correct) slide that checks for the answer and explains the answer after submit.  Simple right?

But, the problem is that there are so many versions of Captivate and so many features that it takes an hour to slog through demos, videos, forums, and blogs just to find this one answer.  I am here looking for an answer because I can't find it simply anywhere. 

This is where online education has a problem.  I've been an educator for 30 years and online searches don't find appropriate answers to my skill level.  Not having written documentation with an index is a problem because one cannot locate visually a section for explanation but must use a search activity.  Searches require knowing how to format a question to find results but retrieve multiple links that may/may not give you exactly what you need.  Updates come so rapidly that we all have to go back to training to use them.  We must tailor our products to the student's experience and skill level.  Too simple = bored, too complex = lost, both=frustrated.

Anyways, enough ranting.

How to I customize a 4 question multiple choice slide to provide the answer after submit?  Anyone have a resource for this basic of all projects?

Thanks in advance

Rick

Basic Multiple Choice Setup Captivate 9

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you download the Captivate user manual (pdf)? I know, it is not updated everywhere aAs it should, but could be worth a first visit.

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/captivate_reference.pdf

Insert a Quiz slide with the Quiz menu, choose MCQ and the Quiz Properties panel will open automatically in the right docking station.

You can edit the Title, the Question and the different answer shapes (or captions). Do not delete any embedded object: those are the objects without an individual timeline. Check the radio button for the correct answer. You can choose to shuffle the answers.

Default setting is with one correct answer.  Default setting is a two step submit process:

1. User clicks the submit button: feedback will appear, which can be 'Correct' 'Incorrect' or 'Retry' if you allow more than 1 attempt on Question level. You could go with the default text in those feedback messages, but it is also possible to edit them individually on each quiz slide. That is the most easy way to give feedback. For the Correct and Incorrect message it is a good idea to keep mentioning what the user has to do after that first step (press Y or click on the slide)
  2. After that second step (Y or click), either the learner is able to give another answer if attempts are not exhausted, or the actions 'Success' or 'Last Attempt' are executed which you find in the Quiz Properties panel.

I have a long article explaining design of Captivate quizzes but it needs upgrading, was written for CP5. The latest articles I wrote about Quiz slides are also on the eLearning portal, but they are not so basic (about Quizzing system varaibles) or meant only for CP2017 (Quiz slides and Fluid boxes).

If you want individual feedback for each given answer, go with the Advanced Answer option. It allows to execute a different action for each answer and/or show a different feedback message.

BTW I have been a college professor for over 30 years, know what you mean. I started blogging to fill the gaps in the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to watch this and possibly other videos on Adobe Captivate. You may find it useful.

Adobe Captivate - Multiple Choice Questions

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rescind my comments.  It takes a little bit of time to figure the intricacies of Captivate.  It does take some time to learn but it is a great product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now Captivate 10 (2017) is in.  Just more to learn and unlearn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 2017 Release is pretty iterative of Captivate 9. There are some really nice enhancements but if you are familiar with version 9, or for that matter version 8 then you should have no problem.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For Captivate 2017, if you want to develop Responsive projects, be careful with Quiz slides. I discussed the setup of the Quizzing Master slides in:

Tips for 'Fluid' Quiz Slides - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give 48 hours of time for the person who initiated the thread to mark the answer as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources