Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calling SCORM file using button

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

How to add & call different SCORM file using by clicking button on another one.

We have few buttons on the side bar, and each of those buttons when clicked will have to call another SCORM files.

Thanks in Advance

Suja

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer is...you DON'T do this.  It violates the SCORM Standard which states that no SCO should directly interact with another.

You're supposed to leave it up to the LMS to direct navigation from one SCO to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with Rod, unless you means something else? I often see confusing terminology. Can you explain what you want exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have training need that has 3 sub module tranings. The design theme is to create 3 buttons on the left side of the slide,  and call training videos by clicking any of the 3 buttons and display respective video on the right side. there is no relation between those videos as they are seperate How-to's. So the requirement is to add/call video or scorm file as action to the buttons.

Please help if there is an alternate solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not understand what you mean, and why this would need a change in SCORM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your "design" is not SCORM-compliant.

You need to decide which you can do without.  Change the design, or forget about using SCORM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess i am unable to explain our requirement. Please see attached picture where i kind of detailed the need.

Add Simulations.GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are those 'scenarios'? Maybe just a multistate object and changing to the state with the buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scenarios are software simulations 'Demo, Assessment and Training'. we have created simulation for report creation, analysis creation and dashboard creation separately. The use will click on any of the 3 buttons you can see above to view the software simulation.

Can you elaborate on what is multi state object? I am new to this and learning on my first assignment. Appreciate help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to embed them? That will become a very heavy file. Each course can have only one Quiz result to be transmitted using SCORM. I don't think you want that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The business ask is to make all 3 functional scenarios available from one page since functionally all are part of reporting.

what is your recommended solution? Pointing to any how-to's available for such req. would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have conflicting requirements.

If you have all three scenarios available to launch from the same slide then they would all need to be part of the same CPTX file and published as a single SCORM.  Since each SCO object can only have one quiz and one pass/fail score, that means that you would NOT get separate granular reporting from your LMS because it would see all three scenarios as a single quiz.  (That's just the way SCORM is designed to work.)

However, then you run into the other issue which is that by combining all scenarios into a single CPTX file the output will be very heavy and may take a long time to begin playback, which is also likely to violate what your client wants (because no client wants their end users to be complaining about how long the modules take before they start playing.

So would your client be happy to have only one overall score for the entire three modules and then find it took longer than normal for users to be able to start viewing content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard. Customer is ok for one file. How do i put everything into one CPTX file?

Right now, I have created 3 CPTX files for reporting, analysis and dashboard How-to's, and plan to create new project with buttons on slide. Is there a way to add action to button, and call above 3 files.

I am novice so please help in any step by step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You open both projects in Captivate and then copy/paste slides from one project to the other.  Both projects MUST be the same height and width in pixels.

When all slides are in the same project, then you can use Advanced Actions to navigate to the first slide in each section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rodward,

Thanks for your response. I have followed your instructions and having trouble from coming back to main slide after completing one training. Below are the steps I followed.

1. Created main slide in the project
  2. Created 3 buttons on main slide on the left side (as mentioned in the picture posted earlier)
  3. Copied slides for 3 different training simulations into main file (3 buttons have 3 different simulations)
  4. Used Button properties -> actions -> jump to slide…to go to respective training based on selected button

This works fine when I click on button but the problem I am facing is “not able to come back to main slide”. The training stops here with a wait mode.

My questions are

1. how to come to main page  after viewing one simulation?
  2. Is there an option to tell the system to come back to main slide after completion?
  3. Or how to create a button in DEMO simulation slide to navigate back to main slide
  4. Can I create frames in the main slide itself so all training simulations appear in the same slide view ( I mean where the buttons exist)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that you have Allow Backward Movement selected in the Quiz Settings.

You could just have an Advanced Action for Jump to Slide triggered by the ON Exit Slide event of the final slide in each section.  But for a greater level of control, I would suggest you place a button on that final slide in each section  with a Jump To Slide action that returns the user to the Main Menu slide.

When you speak of "frames" I think you may be referring to Layers as per other tools such as Articulate Storyline.  Layers have their own distinct timeline. Captivate does not really have this concept. You can certainly HIDE or SHOW objects, but if you need to show a sequence of slides then you really need to jump to the first slide in the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rodward and all,

Sorry, this was delayed due to other work at my client.

Currently, main slide is using one background and copied slides (3 simulations) contain custom screen area completely from web pages we recorded.  But our client want to make look and feel same for the main slide (where buttons exists) and also slides copied from other projects.

How do we make it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'look'? Did you set up a custom theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. we selected available theme and created MAIN slide with buttons. secondly, recorded simulations (one for each button) on website, and cut and pasted respective slides into captive project with MAIN slide. The slide background for MAIN slide is one from theme but whereas the recorded ones (slides from simulations) is showing completely 100% website.

We want to show that recorded slides also use the MAIN slide theme. Main slide has footer with buttons 'go to main' and 'replay'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software simulations use the Blank master slide of the theme and the screenshots used as background will take up the complete slide.

I still don't know what you want to change to the look? If you checked the Object styles before recording, the styles of the theme would have been used and have the same look. I don't know if you checked. If you want to add objects outside of the recording space, you will have to rescale the software simulation slides. You need the same resolution (size in px) for all slides of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We previously used state view on the same slide to display videos based on button selection. All these sits on one slide and only change is the content area depend on the button selection. Every one liked it.

What we are looking now is to use same logic but to display Software simulations instead of mp4 videos.

In the beginning of the thread, my initial req. is to call 3 different simulations from 3 buttons from same slide. That way slide looks same irrespective of the button selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to rescale as I told, and have the objects that you want to keep from the main slide, to be displayed for the rest of the project. I suspect it is a training or an assessment simulation, it had no sense to replace a video demo by a training sim in demo mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think due to me relatively new to captivate, unable to articulate my issue. My apologies and thank you for continued support.

Below is the screen shot of my captivate project, and small explanation on what is needed.

Please help

Buttons Simulations Screenshot_forums.JPG

1. First slide is created from scratch using new project with header and footer

2. we created demo mode software simulation - how to login to evernote

3. Since we used evernote.com to record, the default slide is 100% filled with whatever we choose during recording. (no blue horizontal header and footer)

4. we want to show simulation slides also with header and footer as the main slide (the ones with buttons)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave you the solution: you will have to rescale slides, so that the software simuatlions slides have a height ewual to the present height + the height of the header and the footer. Use Rulers and Guides to find the exact sizes. I don't know how those light grey lines have been drawn, maybe by using the rulers? I would do that rescaling in the inidividual sim projects. Use Modify Rescale, keep the original size and put it in the center vertically.

If at thism oment the software simulatios lidsed have the same height as the main slide at this moment, you'll need  also to rescale that slide as well,, and rearrange the objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't done this feature so far but will give it a try. Is there a how-to step by step?

Also If we re-scale slides, would that apply only to the slides we are working or it changes for all other projects gloablly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources