Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 12.2 - Publishing Without Reporting - Blank Screen

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

I'm publishing my first mini-course using Captivate 12.2. I'm not using an LMS. It's a short training for a company I work at.

I publish it and then test it on my local machine - it works great.

I upload the files to my web host using FileZilla, and then navigate to the proper index.html page. All I see is a blank screen, and the title of the training in the tab. I tried using the latest version of Firefox, and the latest version of Chrome.

I tried talking to my shared web hosting service, which is HostGator. The support representative kept asking me about requirements, which as far as I know there aren't any. Everyone with a web browser should be able to see this training. I don't know what other requirements they would be talking about.

The HostGator representative seemed to barely understand my language, (English), and asked me several times for information that I provided in the beginning of the chat, and then they cut the chat entirely when they got frustrated. So, no help there.

This is the page:

https://modus.markallanholley.com/ATI/Training/index.html

My entire project can be downloaded from this link:

https://modus.markallanholley.com/downloads/DPT.zip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Yes, I was able to view it. This proves - I think -  that something is wrong with your webhost. I have no problems with CP tutorials posted on my website so far. I just suggested to find out whether to search in Captivate for problems but that seems not to be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up:

1. Sorry, I posted this twice and I don't know how to delete the duplicate.

2. The same course works perfectly on my web server when composed and published with Articulate Rise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will block the duplicate post and point to this thread.

Does the webhost support responsive projects? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

As far as I know, yes. I have a responsive WordPress site on their server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Reporting is not activated, you could try to upload the zipped folder to the eLearning community for testing. Sorry that I don't want to download because it is for me from an unknown source. You can try the Preview in that community to check, you don't have to post it for publishing. 

https://elearning.adobe.com

You can log in with your Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you can see this:

https://community-portal-prod-previewdata.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/files/2024/01/9c9acb559de4620d4...

But it appears to be working. I wonder why my web host is having trouble with it. The technical support rep mentioned something about using a PHP version other than 7.4, but that it would cost me a lot more money per year to get the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was able to view it. This proves - I think -  that something is wrong with your webhost. I have no problems with CP tutorials posted on my website so far. I just suggested to find out whether to search in Captivate for problems but that seems not to be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it looks like I'm stuck. I'm not giving my web host more money on the off chance that it might fix this. I'm a graduate student and I also have access to Articulate 360, and both Storyline and Rise projects work just fine on this web host. I would try my web host's technical support again, but honestly, I'd rather jam my hand into a garbage disposal unit and turn it on. Maybe Captivate is something I can try again down the road sometime, or if/when I switch web hosts.

Thanks again for your input.  : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate does not use PHP, so that would not be the issue.  However, Captivate does use JSON to generate some images.  I would ask your webhost to allow JSON files and see if that resolves your issue.  Most webhosts can do this without any cost whatsoever.  It's just a small configuration change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll check with my web host.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use PNG images? They are coded to JSON, does the host support JSON protocol?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I chatted with the host again. They support JSON everywhere, so that's not it. I tried contacting their customer support again, and they told me to hit the bricks - they couldn't help me because they thought it was an error with Captivate, even though I know it wasn't because the course works on elearning.adobe.com.

It's a really frustrating issue and I'm sure that it's something simple that I'm not doing correctly, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is another suggestion: test it on SCORM Cloud (possible for free within limits). You may need to force Reporting because it is the standard LMS. If that also is working fine, thell the web-people againn that it works everywhere else. I never had issues to post a published verson on my webhost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources