Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 6 - SWF Compilation Failed Error Message Rears Ugly Head

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I'm attempting to publish a project using Captivate 6 (with Flash Setting 10 or 11). I am publishing to my desktop, Windows 7 OS, and the message further states the thing about ActionScript and user variables having the same name or something. I've seen the message all over the forums, so I'm sure it's not new to you. I have not created any user variables, so I'm at a loss as to what to check here.

My original problem was trying to get embedded videos to publish. I kept getting this "busy" looking icon and nothing ever happened. Now I can't even get the project to publish. Any help would be appreciated. I sold my boss on this great feature, yet can't seem to get the videos to work. Thanks in advance!!

~Shelia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Control Panel > User Account Settings > Change User Account Settings > and set the slider to the bottom as Never Notify.

Then reboot your PC and try publishing.  Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard,

No, unfortunately that did not work. The slider was already set to Never Notify. I rebooted anyway and received the same error when republishing. swf fail.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shelia,

Is this happening with a specific project or with all the projects? Create a blank project and publish, do you still see the error? In general , this could also happen, when you have invisible characters present in your project text input fields like project information and slide names fields. Try deleting those fields and it publish. If you still see the issue? send me the project. You can upload to acrobat.com and send it to sankaram@adobe.com 

Thanks,

Sankaram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was a resolution for this problem ever found?  I am receiving the same error message.  There are no user defined variables and I have not created any action scripts in this particular project.  The project is a quiz, with fill-in-the-blank questions.  I wondered if those questions might be the culprits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm receiving the same error while trying to preview or publish my project.

I did the following :

I made a preview test for each five slides and I detected that one of my slides was causing the error ,and the error was caused by a quotation marks .I delete them and it worked fine.

Try to do the same ,delete each spécial marks and test .

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Thanks to arij, found the problem:

If you copy the text of a caption within captivate and paste it into the title name of the Slide, ther may be hidden Signs.

Erease all Slide names if you cannot spot the error.

Adobe shold at least show the source of these errors if it fails compiling.

I have to say that Adobe did not a good Job on captivate. It does not at all meet the quality of other adobe tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks arij2010. I have a question slide that has quotation marks in the question. I deleted the quotation marks and typed them again and I was able to preview my project with no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm getting the same error however...

• I make a new blank project from scratch - not from a template
  • I have no advanced actions...
  • I have one slide - the one that comes up
  • I have "compress full motion recording SWF file" unticked.
  • I have nothing in project information
  • I am publishing to a partitioned D: Drive and
  • My cache is also on the partitioned D Drive

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deselect ALL compression options under Edit > Preferences > Project > SWF Size and Quality.  Especially the option for Advanced Project Compression.  Then try publishing again.  If that works, try turning on compression options one at a time and publishing.

If the above does not work, try hiding all slides in the first half of your project and publish.  If same error, hide all slides in second half of project and publish.  If same error, your issue will have something to do with your variables and Advanced Actions.  Make a copy of the project and start deleting actions until you find one that allows the project to publish.  If hiding any section of your project allows it to publish, investigate further using a process of elimination to find the slide or object that is causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still done nothing for me unfortunately.

I can create a new project - with a blank slide - remove all preferences and settings and still get the same error.

Might be worth trying a clean install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried a full clean install - created a new course - 1 page - still get the same error.

Time to put in a formal ticket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of sheer insanity I tried running Captivate 32 Bit instead of 64. (I run a 64 bit system)

it worked...    

Although I'm happy - can anyone explain why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you did a 'CLEAN' install, did you also ensure removal or deletion of the Captivate Preferences folder from the previous install?  If not, that could be causing issues.

Check troubleshooting tip #8 here:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-troubleshooting/basic-troubleshooting-techniques

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was away on leave when my IT guys did the un-install / re-install.

That's we havn't tried in the past though.

Thanks again for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's extremely unlikely that your IT people would have know about doing this extra step. Most Captivate authors don't even realize it's required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm was having this same problem for over a week now. I hunted through countless post with out finding a solution. It's not just with one project but all even fresh ones that have no varibles or actionscripts. I've uninstalled both Adobe Flash, and Java, and reinstalled them. I've also had a team member open my projects and was able to Preview and Publish them with no problem. I installed the same version of Java he's using with no resolve. My system is Windows XP Pro 32-bit, so it's not an issue of running the 64-bit version and switching. I have tried all the quick-fixes here with no change to the error message. My IT team has uninstalled and reinstalled the program as well.

BUT!!

I have found a solution which I am very surprised no one has suggested yet. This is what worked for me, using Adobe's dcache.exe tool, I cleared the Adobe Captivate Cache folder, reopend the projects and BAM, they compiled.

Good luck everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it had been that easy! I installed and ran the dcache.exe tool. I'm still getting the same error. Before going to the uninstall/reinstall method, I did the slide-by-slide technique. There were two very innocuous slides with nothing other than text and graphic that was copied in from a ppt presentation. No variables, no advanced actions. I recreated those slides, and the error is gone. Whew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Running Cp8 x 64 bit, Windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got the exact same problem. Here is the way I fixed it:

My initial setup to display text captions was "rest of the project" and this was causing all the problems in my case. I needed to create question slide that automatically includes second slide with answers. All captions from slide one were in slide two as well. When I started the project over and immediately changed my preferences to display text captions only till the rest of the slide (edit - preferences - defaults [second item from the top] - select: text caption - display for: rest of slide) everything worked fine. Make sure that your answer slide does not have text captions from the question slide. If preferences were changed after question slide was added (under "text caption displayed for rest of project" setup) it will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources